Kate Winslet: "I know at least 4 actors" still in the closet

Virtual_Insanity

If she had any respect for those actors she would have kept her mouth shut. 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jealous

• Espresso

• Breathe On Moi

• MingYouToo

MingYouToo
13 minutes ago, Trent W said:

It’s a mess to still have this type of articles in 2021, I think in music you can be massively successful if you’re gay, but the film industry seems still archaic with gay people.

She also needs to not give that much information, she’s basically inviting people to start digging. 

idk if this is a stupid take but my guess is in the music industry theres multiple ways to market yourself. some go for the hot sexy image, others go for relatability, quirkiness, a la Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, etc. and a subset of that is being unapologetically gay, which resonates with... well, the LGBTQ audience. What I'm trying to say is there's many approaches to being appealing in the music industry, not just being a hot guy/girl/they.

Whereas in the film industry, if you wanna make big and i mean BIG bank  A-list movies, the audience will almost always project onto you their sexual desire. If you're a hot actor, it makes the movie more appealing almost 99.9% of the time. Sure, there are big non conventionally attractive actors out there but are any of them leading men/ladies? Highly doubt it. 

4 hours ago, aliwonderland said:

why would she say this to an interviewer, especially the confidence this actor told to her? very weird behaviour. I know she meant no harm but this ain't it.

Cause she's promoting a movie :cm:

Edited by harwee
mathekr
2 minutes ago, Dephira said:

Not you guys acting like she outed anyone :rip:

This :skull: Completely missing her point and she didn't even leave a hint to speculate who she's talking about.

Virtual_Insanity
Just now, mathekr said:

This :skull: Completely missing her point and she didn't even leave a hint to speculate who she's talking about.

it's not very difficult for speculation to start, based on who she has worked with and been around during her career. Don't be so naive. 

This is a non-story.  Closeted actors is an open secret in the industry.

wehavetostan
1 minute ago, mathekr said:

Well she did say “A well-known actor has just got an American agent and the agent said, ‘I understand you are bisexual. I wouldn’t publicise that.’”

I think that that’s a hint.

Espresso
Just now, MingYouToo said:

idk if this is a stupid take but my guess is in the music industry theres multiple ways to market yourself. some go for the hot sexy image, others go for relatability, quirkiness, a la Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, etc. and a subset of that is being unapologetically gay, which resonates with... well, the LGBTQ audience. What I'm trying to say is there's many approaches to being appealing in the music industry, not just being a hot guy/girl/they.

Whereas in the film industry, if you wanna make big and i mean BIG bank  A-list movies, the audience will almost always project onto you their sexual desire. If you're a hot actor, it makes the movie more appealing almost 99.9% of the time. Sure, there are big non conventionally attractive actors out there but are any of them leading men/ladies? Highly doubt it. 

There was a big audience analysis done in the late 90s (then several subsequently) I can't find online that a lot of agents cite in terms of aiming for the highest profitability in Middle America and out actors (specifically men, much less of a problem for women) having a huge problem with those audiences turning out to theaters if they had that knowledge or even impression. Things are changing, but it's very slow. It's unfortunately not just an impression but actual hard data for the big studios when it almost always comes down to money at the end of the day. 

Achilles.

I don’t think Kate really deserves any sort of backlash for this. Everyone knows the industry is full of cis gay/bi men who are publicly in the closet for the sake of their careers, and nothing she said is specific enough to out any particular individual. 

I also kinda agree with her that there should be some sort of movement to encourage these people to come out and ensure that their careers won’t suffer for it.

Things already look quite a bit better than they were a decade ago, considering the large number of out young actors (particularly in Netflix programming) and the fact that people like Luke Evans and Ben Whishaw are booking prominent franchise roles and Disney blockbusters and whatnot. 

50 minutes ago, Espresso said:

There are no openly gay nominees in the main acting categories at the Baftas, which take place next weekend, or the Oscars in three weeks’ time.

As for this, there does actually seem to be a dearth of LGBT people showing up at the film awards, and not just in the acting categories. For example, the 2010s were the first decade since the 1930s with no openly queer Best Director nominee at the Oscars. 

We seem to do better in television and miniseries, so it’s only a matter of time before that translates to more presence in film I guess. 

CaptainMusic
6 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

it's not very difficult for speculation to start, based on who she has worked with and been around during her career. Don't be so naive. 

Every hot actor's sexuality is already speculated :rip: 

She's worked with many actors so this will change and out nothing, she kept it very vague. 

I think we all know about 4 actors who are still in the closet, tbh.

Superbitch

Here comes people speculating. Her intentions are good but people will be trying to find out who she’s talking about 

Mrguilbeaux
55 minutes ago, Breathe On Moi said:

This won’t end well. I know she means well, but she’s alluding to pretty much outing these four actors if people decide to start digging. 

Then its the fault of people digging?

kayliah

This is BS... can a fem guy play a straight... no. And you can do all the movie magic there is you can't change someone's voice, demeanor and effeminate personality. It's sad but true. However, for guys that act and look like straight people it's easier. This being said, it's safer to stay in the closet to get your roles, money  and success even if you have to hide a part of yourself and keep a very low profile.

Mrguilbeaux
17 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

She didnt say its actors shes worked with. Shes been in the industry for decades if people wanna go through her imdb and guess which four (combination of newer actors and established ones) are gay theyre gonna have WAYYY too much time on their hands and they arent gonna find anything. 

“dont be naive” you need to feel morally superior to someone today and youve chosen her. If its so easy then go find who they are and confirm it. Shouldnt be too hard, go ahead! 

Terrielle
1 minute ago, kayliah said:

This is BS... can a fem guy play a straight... no. And you can do all the movie magic there is you can't change someone's voice, demeanor and effeminate personality. It's sad but true. However, for guys that act and look like straight people it's easier. This being said, it's safer to stay in the closet to get your roles, money  and success even if you have to hide a part of yourself and keep a very low profile.

1stly it's acting. Secondly, you are conflating gender expression and sexuality. They are not the same thing. Gay guys can be traditionally masculine too. It's not "acting like straight people". 

Achilles.

According to Wikipedia, the only openly LGBT actors to be nominated for an Oscar in the 21st century are Ian McKellan, Angelina Jolie, and Lady Gaga....

And two of them, well....

4c47b4030df0bbcf5dbe48b3b7f630fe3be89ad3

L.B GAGA

Hollywood is as toxic as it comes as it still clings to some of it's remnant white supremacist, ku klux,jim crowish and nazi ideologies at its heart. 

Oh and economic interests reign supreme, now it's China's hetero supremacy ignorance it's clinging to.  

Espresso
2 minutes ago, kayliah said:

For someone to have be a "good" actor that's convincing for audiences is implied and a baseline requirement. It's also not what we're talking about. 

It's about the agents and studios data on what will keep an audience for seeing a film and the impression on a different sexuality that's not straight to start with this is one of them. (Or at least, enough of an audience dip for a major motion picture). You kind of said that but not really.