Kate Winslet: "I know at least 4 actors" still in the closet

Solgayleo
6 hours ago, Reinvention said:

I see what you mean - and that's a good point actually. I guess I worry would trans actors then only be able to tell trans roles? I guess I just think, if you were an actor and you had really devoted your life to telling the stories of those who might not otherwise be able to, it would be artistically unsatisfying to only portray experiences similar to your own. There's also the enormous problem of Hollywood needing a star to push it's movies and those stars are very predominantly white, but that's another issue cause certainly more stars can be created - just need to see the will, and more importantly need to see the audiences spending to watch.

That’s exactly the issue. LGBT actors aren’t getting many roles at all currently. Aside from my previous argument for much needed accurate representation of LGBT actors and actresses, Hollywood also simply isn’t hiring queer performers. At no point did I or anyone else say trans or LGB+ should only play characters of their respective orientation, but it’s a way to get their foot in the door at the very least. And that door is only opening if straight actors show more restraint in accepting those roles. (And I’m not saying that’s the only necessary step or solution either - a system-wide change is necessary in the entertainment industry, as Kate suggests.)

Also we don’t question it when straight cis actors play straight cis characters that are similar to their real life personas. It’s weird to suggest that we need to do that for queer performers simply because we’re asking that they get more roles they are already representative of. 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• Saljju

• Breathe On Moi

• MingYouToo

On 4/5/2021 at 5:07 PM, Espresso said:

Reading comprehension is essential. Emphasis on "at least". 

She's an A-List icon that's worked in dozens of films for decades. The safe assumption is she assumes there's more than 4 and likely speculates on more than four but said "at least 4" because of likely some confirmation for her that erased any remaining speculation for those 4. That could include their possible admission to her personally. Also, even though "actor" is used by some in the business for both genders it's safe to assume she's referring to men for all 4 given her immediate comment afterwards that the problem is much bigger for men than women that she willingly volunteered in this interview without being asked.

It still was not her place to talk :rip: 

Look what twitter is doing: 

21 hours ago, lawmak said:

Leonardo Di Caprio, homosexual confirmed.

He's not unfortunately.

State of Grace.

Not some of yall dragging her instead of appaulding her for speaking out on a very important issue :rip: 

The overreactions as if people aren't already digging on every single actor in Hollywood

• ATRL Moderator
Reinvention
17 hours ago, Superbitch said:

We forgot about something.. actors include both men and women. 

the timing 

https://twitter.com/sharkchompchomp/status/1379164546871386112?s=21

4 hours ago, azii said:

It still was not her place to talk :rip: 

Look what twitter is doing: 

Okay but running to out the four people she mentioned kinda wasn't the point...

5 hours ago, vamp said:

He's not unfortunately.

I was just joking but I wouldn't put my shocked face on if it'd turn out to be true.

How are you so sure?

HauntinglyHollow

the dramatics in this thread :ahh:

i would literally squirt if one of them was Henry, but nothing about him seems ghey to me

BOOMBAYAH
On 4/4/2021 at 5:14 PM, kayliah said:

This is BS... can a fem guy play a straight... no. And you can do all the movie magic there is you can't change someone's voice, demeanor and effeminate personality. It's sad but true. However, for guys that act and look like straight people it's easier. This being said, it's safer to stay in the closet to get your roles, money  and success even if you have to hide a part of yourself and keep a very low profile.

Do you know what the word “acting” means? 

BOOMBAYAH
On 4/5/2021 at 8:04 AM, Mr.Link said:

Imagine having to talk to your lawyers/assistants everytime you want a quick hook up and get them to do all relevant calls/documents so you can actually do it :toofunny2: (before or after the fact)

In K-Pop, idols only hook up with other idols so that nothing gets leaked (if one of the idols leak that they’re dating/hooked up then it would be detrimental to them as well since Korean K-Pop fans are crazy about their faves dating), maybe this is the same with gay actors/celebs. They only hook-up with fellow closeted high profile celebrities so that they both can’t afford to have anything leak about them.

And so what? It’s their business if they want  to be openly gay or not it’s really not a big deal.

postsus
On 4/4/2021 at 12:15 PM, Donquizote said:

Queen :clap3:

Owner of everything. :clap3:

Egon Schiele

I kinda feel bad for them, living in the closet today feels so inadequate 

vuelve88

Now people are just going to investigate the actors who are her friends. Not the smartest move, Kate. :rip:

4 hours ago, syrus said:

I guess Jake Gyllenhaal is never going to come out. Sighs. 

:monkey:

Karla Cabello
On 4/7/2021 at 1:57 AM, vamp said:

He's not unfortunately.

unfortunatley? hes hideous and a creep :biblio: he wasnt even hot at his peak

boubour
On 4/6/2021 at 2:21 PM, frozemmm said:

Mess at Ms Weeknd, i had not heard those rumours yet:eatpopcorn: i can kinda see it now that you mentioned it:eatpopcorn:

Also your take on Diddy took me OUT:deadbanana4: but he will never come out sis, men are the love of his life but he will forever want to keep that straight image, i smell diddys a mile away, didn’t he get caught having Christopher Williams suck his dick for a record or sumn? I read and heard about it:eatpopcorn: mess

oh wow...I wasn't aware! Christopher Williams was kinda cute back in the day :thing:

Ocboy85

I can't believe U all are condemning her, when she's trying to use her platform for good and bring awareness?

Did I miss the part where she outed anyone or something?

monologueNacafe
On 4/4/2021 at 11:04 AM, CaptainMusic said:

Every hot actor's sexuality is already speculated :rip: 

She's worked with many actors so this will change and out nothing, she kept it very vague. 

!!!! She knows MANY actors...like

WhateverYouWant
On 4/4/2021 at 10:29 AM, NicoleAMatty said:

The overreaction in this thread... :rip:

this. She didn’t out anyone and it’s good to talk about these issues 

On 4/4/2021 at 11:51 AM, Dephira said:

Not you guys acting like she outed anyone :rip:

this site is DUMB wbk :dies:

dirrtydiana

From what she said, the first people who come to mind are,

bi: henry 

closeted: Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Bradley Cooper + Richard Madden 

if they are or not, it’s really none of ours of her business but she made some points.

DONTYELLATME
10 hours ago, dirrtydiana said:

From what she said, the first people who come to mind are,

bi: henry 

closeted: Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Bradley Cooper + Richard Madden 

if they are or not, it’s really none of ours of her business but she made some points.

Which Henry