Demi - 'Dancing with the Devil... The Art of Starting Over'

Cheeerl

I'm probably late on this but why are the vocals on Anyone different? I like the single version better:biblio:

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rihannabiggestfan

• thatsmydemi

• Pink Ranger

• Ampersand13

Ok here's how I'm going to most likely break it up --

feel like it still helps tell the story and keeps things more sonically consistent. The first side is a majority of the collabs (that ruin the cohesiveness of her new alt pop sound) and work with the idea of exploring the themes of partying and fitting into the LA lifestyle (hi WOPS) and puts i love me before sober/anyone and the breakdown which symbolizes how much she preached self love sine 2011 but has still struggled to actually do so. I love the flow and arc of ICU > Sober > Anyone > Mad World > Still Have Me and then rounds out with the 2 uptempo collabs that reflect her starting to pick herself up -- but still doing it in the typical "cliche" says she did in the past

Then for side B -- I like keeping it to just these 10 songs bc they really are an entirely different sound and artistic vision. These are all incredibly personal and symbolize not only her recovery, but her breaking away from the mold of Side A and really delving into her own artistic expression and statement. I love ending it on Butterfly with Good Place leading up to it so it shows she can finally let go of the trauma from her hardships and lean into her newfound happiness with the lighness she has found

having it organized like this really elevates the project for me and easily makes it her VERY best by far

Dancing With The Devil - Side A

1. Dancing With The Devil 

2. Met Him Last Night (feat. Ariana Grande)

3. My Girlfriends Are My Boyfriend (feat. Saweetie) 

4. What Other People Say (feat. Sam Fischer) 

5. Who Do You Love

6. Change You

7. I Love Me

8. Grey

9. Easy 

10. I.C.U

11. Sober

12. Anyone 

13. Mad World 

14. Still Have Me 

15. I'm Ready (feat. Sam Smith)

16. Ok Not To Be Okay (feat. Marshmello) 

The Art of Starting Over - Side B 

1. The Art of Starting Over

2. Lonely People

3. Melon Cake

4. Carefully

5. 15 Minutes    

6. The Kind Of Lover I Am

7. The Way You Don't Look At Me 

8. California Sober

9. Good Place

10. Butterfly 

Shockingly, The Line of Best Fit has the highest average review score (77) on Metacritic out of the 5 publications that reviewed DWTDTAOSO so far 

yet they gave excellent albums like this (70) and Robyn's Honey (75) below their average score :mandown:

6 minutes ago, Rob_Matteo said:

I'm genuinely really impressed at how well this is doing

Not this outpeaking TMYLM by 47 spots:jonny5:

1 minute ago, Filthy Pop said:

I'm probably late on this but why are the vocals on Anyone different? I like the single version better:biblio:

I think Anyone is the same but the instrumental is changed for the Grammy version I think 

Can I just say I love you all and I missed you guys so so much :heart2:

The fact that we could have not been here so easily and I'm glad we're so much 

1 minute ago, PopFan1996 said:

The order of the album is perfect and that's a fact

This. I don’t have a single issue with the order which is kind of atypical for me as I thought Unbroken, Demi, Confident, and to a much lesser extent TMYLM could’ve been reorganized stronger 

at this point "met him last night" is a single begging to happen.

#9 on iTunes US

#10 on iTunes WW

#112 on Apple Music US

+860,000 views on YT (for reference, the Saweetie and Noah collabs have less than 200,000, and the most viewed non-collab has 135,000)

they NEED to push it harder, send it to radio asap and shoot a music video if they don't have one already!

1 minute ago, Ampersand13 said:

This. I don’t have a single issue with the order which is kind of atypical for me as I thought Unbroken, Demi, Confident, and to a much lesser extent TMYLM could’ve been reorganized stronger 

In that order it actually tells a beautiful story as well

3 minutes ago, PopFan1996 said:

The order of the album is perfect and that's a fact

Honestly no...

the track listing is my only gripe with it 

going from melon cake > met him last night > WOPS > carefully is atrocious and is major sonic whiplash 

2 minutes ago, certified lover boy said:

at this point "met him last night" is a single begging to happen.

#9 on iTunes US

#10 on iTunes WW

#112 on Apple Music US

+860,000 views on YT (for reference, the Saweetie and Noah collabs have less than 200,000, and the most viewed non-collab has 135,000)

they NEED to push it harder, send it to radio asap and shoot a music video if they don't have one already!

You're saying smart things but as we know.......

6 minutes ago, Hanzo said:

Can I just say I love you all and I missed you guys so so much :heart2:

The fact that we could have not been here so easily and I'm glad we're so much 

:heart2:

Just now, Hanzo said:

judging by demi, ariana and scooter's posts plus the minimal treatment it's getting, i think it's bound to be a single.

the question is when that will happen, and whether it will be too late or not :toofunny2:

5 minutes ago, Hanzo said:

:dies:

Ready for them to release The Kind of Lover I Am before retiring the era 

alright, I wasn't interested but so glad I did check out this album after all!! that intro till now (I am currently at The Way You Don't Look At Me) is so beautiful, Demi became AN ALBUM ARTIST with this album, so powerful!! so true to herself! I am very proud of her so far, and I ain't even finished with the album, it's so beautiful... even the first three songs that I disliked, they truly fit well as the prelude... an experience

• #FreeBritney Activist

I can't see them doing a vid for MHLN. That's way too much wishful thinking lol

but I do hope they start pushing either the Saweetie collab or Starting Over

For me the singles treatment should be like this

01. Dancing with the devil

02. Met him last night

03. MGAMB

04. Melon cake

05. The art of starting over 

End with a Grammy nomination or a win :giraffe:

20 minutes ago, ryoncé said:

Ok here's how I'm going to most likely break it up --

feel like it still helps tell the story and keeps things more sonically consistent. The first side is a majority of the collabs (that ruin the cohesiveness of her new alt pop sound) and work with the idea of exploring the themes of partying and fitting into the LA lifestyle (hi WOPS) and puts i love me before sober/anyone and the breakdown which symbolizes how much she preached self love sine 2011 but has still struggled to actually do so. I love the flow and arc of ICU > Sober > Anyone > Mad World > Still Have Me and then rounds out with the 2 uptempo collabs that reflect her starting to pick herself up -- but still doing it in the typical "cliche" says she did in the past

Then for side B -- I like keeping it to just these 10 songs bc they really are an entirely different sound and artistic vision. These are all incredibly personal and symbolize not only her recovery, but her breaking away from the mold of Side A and really delving into her own artistic expression and statement. I love ending it on Butterfly with Good Place leading up to it so it shows she can finally let go of the trauma from her hardships and lean into her newfound happiness with the lighness she has found

having it organized like this really elevates the project for me and easily makes it her VERY best by far

Dancing With The Devil - Side A

1. Dancing With The Devil 

2. Met Him Last Night (feat. Ariana Grande)

3. My Girlfriends Are My Boyfriend (feat. Saweetie) 

4. What Other People Say (feat. Sam Fischer) 

5. Who Do You Love

6. Change You

7. I Love Me

8. Grey

9. Easy 

10. I.C.U

11. Sober

12. Anyone 

13. Mad World 

14. Still Have Me 

15. I'm Ready (feat. Sam Smith)

16. Ok Not To Be Okay (feat. Marshmello) 

The Art of Starting Over - Side B 

1. The Art of Starting Over

2. Lonely People

3. Melon Cake

4. Carefully

5. 15 Minutes    

6. The Kind Of Lover I Am

7. The Way You Don't Look At Me 

8. California Sober

9. Good Place

10. Butterfly 

this is a very interesting way to organize the album.

i took an abridged approach, because i feel like the album could be streamlined with a stronger narrative. 

i start with sober and end with california sober, with met him last night as the halfway point (representing her relapse after her od) and then following with the reflective easy, gray + 15 minutes to represent max, MGAMB to close out the self-actualization arc, and finally california sober. butterfly is her finding peace, an epilogue to the story.

1.Sober

2.Dancing with the Devil

3.ICU

4.Intro

5.The Art of Starting Over

6.The Way You Don't Look At Me

7.Melon Cake

8.Met Him Last Night

9.Carefully

10.Easy

11.Gray

12.15 Minutes