Demi - 'Dancing with the Devil... The Art of Starting Over'

• #FreeBritney Activist
DemiLovato

@ausdaniel @Greg.P just so y’all know it’s coming 3pm tomorrow, not 2pm (aus time) :coffee2:

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thatsmydemi

• rihannabiggestfan

• Ampersand13

• Pink Ranger

pinkbowvintage
2 hours ago, selena_lavigne said:

I KNEW someone was gonna bash this emotional bawppp. Everything about this song is perfection. 

Honestly aside from the dated production Hold Up is a trashy pop bop. The vocals do it for me. She just needed something that didn't sound stuck in 2010 and made on Garage Band.

Unbroken isn't a bad album, per se, but I agree it's her weakest. In Real Life is one of her best mid-tempos imo but she always paid it dust. I feel like that album is so all over the place and doesn't know what it's trying to be.

selena_lavigne
3 minutes ago, pinkbowvintage said:

I feel like that album is so all over the place and doesn't know what it's trying to be.

but this is all of Demi's albums tho which is why she hasn't had a smash album yet. I am a fan of hers but this criticism could be applied to any of her first 6 albums.

TAOSO seems to be the first album where she is actually putting in effort to have a clear vision.

My Love's Like A Star deserved some kinda single treatment. Maybe a tour video? woulda been cute

Edited by selena_lavigne
pinkbowvintage
Just now, selena_lavigne said:

but this is all of Demi's albums tho which is why she hasn't had a smash album yet. I am a fan of hers but this criticism could be applied to any of her first 6 albums.

TAOSO seems to be the first album where she is actually putting in effort to have a clear vision.

Honestly tea :siptea:

This might just her first sonically cohesive project, though she came pretty close with TMLYM imo

2 minutes ago, pinkbowvintage said:

I feel like that album is so all over the place and doesn't know what it's trying to be.

exactly!!!!!!!!

it's definitely not terrible but time hasn't been all that kind to it and while some of the songs are still as amazing as they used to be, the others are quite terrible and bring it down a LOT. Same thing with DEMI.

TMYLM > HWGA > Confident > Don't Forget > DEMI = Unbroken.

pinkbowvintage
2 minutes ago, miguel said:

exactly!!!!!!!!

it's definitely not terrible but time hasn't been all that kind to it and while some of the songs are still as amazing as they used to be, the others are quite terrible and bring it down a LOT. Same thing with DEMI.

TMYLM > HWGA > Confident > Don't Forget > DEMI = Unbroken.

This is the correct ranking :gaycat2: DEMI has some stand-outs on it but it was too cheesy for her overall. I still lol at Made in the USA, a Jason Derulo reject.

Carefully is really hitting me, whew. The lyrics, the sound. Can't wait until I get a lossless version.

Butterfly is a grower and a powerful song once you listen closely to the lyrics. After getting extra info about her dad's death in the doc, it's chilling.

ICU might be my least favorite so far but I still like it a lot. I don't hate any of the songs so far which is good. :clap3:

selena_lavigne

Here We Go Again > Tell Me You Love Me > Confident > Unbroken > Demi > Don't Forget

I just went with my gut and this is how I ranked them lmfaoooooo.

I still think Unbroken is arguably her best album but... her albums are all pretty equally good. which makes it tough.

I will always defend Unbroken because it was the first time in which she explored the themes in which even 10 years later she continues to explore.

selena_lavigne

Tell Me You Love Me is a very good album but felt... uninspired. idk like it was a lot less emotional than her previous albums but also not quite as fun as it could have been so... it's just a cute solid listen through. 

17 minutes ago, pinkbowvintage said:

Honestly aside from the dated production Hold Up is a trashy pop bop. The vocals do it for me. She just needed something that didn't sound stuck in 2010 and made on Garage Band.

Unbroken isn't a bad album, per se, but I agree it's her weakest. In Real Life is one of her best mid-tempos imo but she always paid it dust. I feel like that album is so all over the place and doesn't know what it's trying to be.

Taste such an underrated bop!!

selena_lavigne

Confident is a good album but... I don't like "Confident" the song so having it as the opener kinda makes me not come back to it as much. The last 3 tracks on the standard aren't my favs either. but CFTS-Wildfire is AMAZING SONG AFTER AMAZING SONG.

Here We Go Again is just a great body of work. WOW. she did that. and yeah idk I'm on a sugar rush and wanna talk about all of Demi's albums in detail cuz they each have their gems.

This whole talk about none if her albums not having a cohesive sound confuses me, have ya'll not heard DF and HWGA?? Her albums afterwards sure I can agree!

3 hours ago, selena_lavigne said:

Unbroken was her biggest chance to smash and maybe even get a #1 but Who’s That Boy getting cancelled stalled the era. Thankfully Give Your Heart A Break got the success it deserved. 

She ended that era too soon! That’s the era they should have push more

16 minutes ago, selena_lavigne said:

My Love's Like A Star deserved some kinda single treatment. Maybe a tour video? woulda been cute

:clap3:

It deserved full single treatment! This is the best song on the album. Huge mistake not pushing this! 

DancingShoes

Hopefully the new album will dethrone HWGA as my favorite Demi album. My excitement was at 0% last year but I truly can’t wait to listen.

rihannabiggestfan

This criminally underrated live performance of MLILAS, WHEW. 

Especially starting at the 3:00 mark, her beautiful head voice and the way she goes OFFSCRIPT AF on those adlibs and runs :clap3: she said "I'M GONNA SING WHAT I FEEL!" The emotion!

And tbh, it's so interesting how deep her voice sounds on the Unbroken album :rip: it sounds deeper than Demi era? Maybe it's cuz I've gotten so used to listening to the high-pitched (and very slightly sped up) version, but I kinda prefer it for some of the tracks like Hold Up and In Real Life

(Pitched-up versions):

Edited by rihannabiggestfan
willyogalvan
17 minutes ago, RULES said:

She ended that era too soon! That’s the era they should have push more

They would’ve but Demi was using and entered a sober home around the time give your heart a break was taking off so i think they decided to end album promotion 

2 minutes ago, willyogalvan said:

They would’ve but Demi was using and entered a sober home around the time give your heart a break was taking off so i think they decided to end album promotion 

:ace:

rihannabiggestfan

I feel like Unbroken was planned to be the 3rd single, but that was scrapped. She even performed it on GMA 

People on Pulse called All Night Long "very 2007", but I love that :wanda:. But yeah, Unbroken would have been better as a 2-Sided album. I don't personally mind non-cohesive amalgamations tho, as long as I like the songs

pinkbowvintage

On the subject of underrated Demi songs, here are mine from her various eras:

The Middle 

World of Chances

In Real Life

I Hate You, Don't Leave Me

Ruin the Friendship

Cry Baby

Smoke & Mirrors

Edited by pinkbowvintage
35 minutes ago, Greg.P said:

This whole talk about none if her albums not having a cohesive sound confuses me, have ya'll not heard DF and HWGA?? Her albums afterwards sure I can agree!

tea nn

also the only album i would consider uncohesive to the point it's messy, is Unbroken.

TMYLM is a very solid Pop/RnB project. It's biggest "miss" is the tracklisting. Ordered correctly it sounds perfectly fine.

and both Confident and DEMI are straight up pop albums (DEMI being a bad attempt at that)

RadioactiveLights

The animated album cover on Apple Music looks cool

Lyrical Liar

Every time this is bumped, I think there are more L words out there ahdhfhsdhshdh I need to go to sleep. GOODNIGHT GIRLIES! :deadbanana4:

Lyrical Liar
Just now, Ampersand13 said:

DID SOMEONE SAY POP/ROCK? :WAP:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS