1995 MTW: Bjork / PJ / Alanis / Shania / Mariah (Due Apr 28)

Madame X

MiOrPLS.png

Women ruled 1995.  From #1 hits from Whitney and Madonna in the second decade of their career, to Selena's post-humous smashing, to Alicia Silverstone in Clueless, women were dominating and defining pop culture.  In terms of albums, it must have felt like there was a classic album coming out once a week (I don't know tho I was 3).  In this rate, we will be looking at some of the most genre-defining, groundbreaking, and most importantly, personal and emotionally naked records released by women in the year 1995.

Björk, coming hot off the heels of her crossover and critical smash, Debut, released her her sophomore stunner, Post.  Not only did it surpass expectations, but it is now the template album for any artist who wants to meld the pop world and the avant garde world.  It's both, at different times and at the same time.  If one wanted to list all the genres and subgenres included in in in the album, it would take hours, needlessly to say, she pushed boundaries musically and sang personal songs about family, relationships, and herself.

PJ Harvey, after the breakup of her band, recorded her first de-facto solo album with producers and songwriters John Parish and Flood, both of whom became long-time collaborators for the music legend.  Touching on favorite topics of Polly's such as toxic masculinity, love, and loss, PJ also included biblical imagery in her lyrics on her third album To Bring You My Love.  The album was a huge success, and remains her best-selling album, even garnering some college radio hits overseas in the states.

Alanis Morissette's first two albums, believe it not, were dance pop.  She released them as a teenager.  Seriously, listen to "Too Hot" if you don't believe me.  But after taking a few years break she returned with her worldwide commercial breakthrough Jagged Little Pill.  Returning with much more, much, much more personal lyrics, and an alternative rock and grunge influenced sound that highlighted her unique vocal styles, the album was a success in pretty much every sense of the word.  Diamond certified, critically acclaimed and a grammy winner.  

Shania Twain released Woman in Me, the predecessor to eventual highest selling female album ever (!!) but, where would that album be without the album that paved the way.  Shania's unique blend of country and pop is so ubiquitous that it's sometimes easy to forget that there was an era before it.  This was her commercial breakthrough, and boy, did she break through.  It sold 4 million in one year, and gave her her first country top ten (and #1... quite a few of them) and billboard hot 100 top 40.  

Mariah Carey had always been heavily influenced by Soul and Gospel music (see: Emotions) but before Daydream, she never really dove into the modern R&B sound, the Hip-Hop influenced sound.  Daydream was the first time she did so, and boy, did she succeed.  It's considered one of the most important albums of her career, as she really took more artistic control over what her album sounded, which actually led to friction between her husband and her.  Speaking of hip hop, this album birthed possibly one of the most important songs in the history of Pop music - a remix.  A pop song, a remix of a pop song, featuring a rapper.  What might sound completely commonplace now was not back then.  

So of course, in ATRL fashion, we are going to rate these albums, see who comes out on top, who flops, and most importantly, which one song will reign on top at #1.

Rules:

• Rate every single song from a scale of 1-10.
  • You may give one 11, and one 0 to songs of your choosing.
  • PM your scores to me.
  • If you wish, you may send comments of any song you want.
  • Rates are due April 28
  • Have as much fun as possible without trolling. 
  • Anybody can participate!
  • If ATRL is being weird (503s) then please tag me here or make sure your scores are sent!  

Without further ado, here are the songs:

Spoiler

Björk - Post

1. Army of Me
  2. Hyperballad
  3. The Modern Things
  4. It's Oh So Quiet
  5. Enjoy
  6. You've Been Flirting Again
  7. Isobel
  8. Possibly Maybe
  9. I Miss You
  10. Cover Me
  11. Headphones
  12. I Go Humble

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

1. To Bring You My Love
  2. Meet Ze Monsta
  3. Working For the Man
  4. C'mon Billy
  5. Teclo
  6. Long Snake Moan
  7. Down by the Water
  8. I Think I'm a Mother
  9. Send His Love to Me
  10. The Dance

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill

1. All I Really Want
  2. You Oughta Know
  3. Perfect
  4. Hand In My Pocket
  5. Right Through You
  6. Forgiven
  7. You Learn
  8. Head Over Feet
  9. Mary Jane
  10. Ironic
  11. Not the Doctor
  12. Wake Up
  13. Your House (a cappella) - Hidden Track

Shania Twain - The Woman In Me

1. Home Ain't Where His Heart Is (Anymore)
  2. Any Man of Mine
  3. Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?
  4. (If You're Not In It For Love) I'm Outta Here!
  5. The Woman In Me (Needs the Man in You)
  6. Is There Life After Love?
  7. If It Don't Take Two
  8. You Win My Love
  9. Raining on Our Love
  10. Leaving Is the Only Way Out
  11. No One Needs to Know
  12. God Bless This Child

Mariah Carey - Daydream

1. Fantasy
  2. Underneath The Stars
  3. One Sweet Day
  4. Open Arms
  5. Always Be My Baby
  6. I Am Free
  7. When I Saw You
  8. Long Ago
  9. Melt Away
  10. Forever
  11. Daydream Interlude (Fantasy Sweet Dub Mix)
  12. Looking In
  13. Fantasy (Bad Boy Remix) ft. O.D.B.
  14. Fantasy (Def Club Mix)
  15. Always Be My Baby (So-So Def Remix) ft. Da Brat & Xscape
  16. One Sweet Day (Sweet Acapella) 

Edited by Madame X
  • Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Madame X

• rlj

• suburbannature

• supaspaz

Madame X
Posted (edited)

I'm tagging you because i've seen you be a big fan of one of the artists in this rate, are a frequent rate participator, or you're my acquaintance and i'm going to guilt you into participating (or all of the above).  

Spoiler

@pearlmercury @Sunset @Jdella11 @Ace Reject @Reverie @creativity. @supaspaz @HonourableVomit @Nemo @EJQL8  @Melancholy @jdmc219 @naval23 @bestfiction @Blue Rose @Tom Vercetti @Kid A @Wicked @PiecesOfYou @Kool_Aid_King @GreatestLoveofAll @rlj @Tinashegrande6 @Auburn @Ewan Chaos @jqnetto @Kiss It Better @Pendulum @mokitsu @K$Ellie @Chemist @Lucas32 @Unoriginal @Born to Run @Eeveelution @Rev8 @modern thing @TRF. @clue @KillingYourCareer @andresg770 @99sandthe2000s @Claw @World Eater @Pop culture @BnPac @Ghibli @That Bad Eartha @Pecinta Mariah @noonbob @Pink Matter @BlackoutZone @Miranda Cocksgrove @Indie Go Mind @Beyonnaise @DTF @Brando @Tsareena @Gabriel Florin @theblackestday @ultraviolence.xx @Almost Home @Wyvern @Anthem @LittleDreamer @TheArgonaut @Overprotected @Mr. Blue_Shirt @AbeHicks @Sanguine @Prisoner @Stevie @jacklovesyou1 @Quicksand @Touch It @dan.harry @4Real @Pepo @Bacardo Royale @americanshameless @Sanctuary @Everest @ReverseWarholian @Tremor Christ @John Slayne @roso @Katamari @Doogle @bad guy @FattMatt @JoeAg @Archetype @Bloodflowers. @Little Joannester @Alaska @Dopeamine @ninasayers@mellenthin @Aquamarine @cuneytb @Ghost @T.O.A.D.S. @Thinking Of You @jinzo @MP2K @Samsom  @Terylee @Taemira @Mark Rih @Cantique @CBXC @Slayn @Price of Fame @shookspeare @eli's_rhythm  @Sawk  @Ampersand13 @josesuxx @Tusk @CandyBling @Don't Stop Me Now @Tasty @@michael @NewStanner  @Insanity @GiftFromGod @HeWolf @Glamthony @CaptainMusic @killer_rose @TheWayWeWere @feuxtography @Green @Beautiful Garbage @lovedaddy @Cherish @feelslikeadream  @Valtersen @pinknblue  @Hyunjin @TipToe @KK_Lover @Ibrahim @Mykonos @Jeremiah @Vulnicura @Bitchcraft @bluth@Rocket @minho @jpow @Park Jinyoung @PopOnTop @Fruity @Chasing Comet @dirrtydiana @Underdogs @Chemical X. @Patrick  @Oktober Knight @LikeaRebel  @SickLove  @confide in me @Frozen99 @Reflektor_Creep @Gwegend @V3$$3L. @DesiredConsternation @touya kinomoto @Supervixen @cityfolk @SpaceOddity @Vespertine@Aqua @Venice B @GentleDance @onapearl @Vroom Vroom @LustSpell @Bussea @RideOrDie @Egon Schiele

Edited by Madame X
rihannabiggestfan

Robyn inventing teen pop (and inspiring Jive Records to model Britney as "the American girl-next-door Robyn") with her 1995 album, whew :jonny:

71Z6ijnMnsL._SS500_.jpg

Edited by rihannabiggestfan
Madame X
Just now, EJQL8 said:

Add Slipping Away for Moo. :gaygacat2:

this is ace's creation technically so i will ask first, but it makes sense for me to include it! 

Invisibility

It's Oh So Quiet coming for a negative average :clap3:

Will try to do this!

creativity.

AHH thank you Legend Madame X for hosting this rate. Gonna be hard not to give 85% of these songs a 10.

The Woman In Me is a gorgeous ballad. Deserved to be as big as From This Moment On tbh! :WAP:

creativity.
6 minutes ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

Robyn inventing teen pop (and inspiring Jive Records to model Britney as "the American girl-next-door Robyn") with her 1995 album, whew :jonny:

71Z6ijnMnsL._SS500_.jpg

Everyone always ignores her first three albums but the stans know what's up! Do You Really Want Me >>>>>>>>>

1 minute ago, EJQL8 said:

The Woman In Me is a gorgeous ballad. Deserved to be as big as From This Moment On tbh! :WAP:

oh wait, this might be my 11? :WAP:

Madame X

i know what im giving my 11 definitely BUT unlike the madonna rate, i will have to be more impartial as to not encourage people to sabotage a particular artist.  

rihannabiggestfan
1 minute ago, creativity. said:

Everyone always ignores her first three albums but the stans know what's up! Do You Really Want Me >>>>>>>>>

Right! She has ahead-of-its-time and quality material across all of her albums :clap3: 

Robyn and her stans need to acknowledge Electric exists. :WAP:

Invisibility
1 minute ago, EJQL8 said:

Robyn and her stans need to acknowledge Electric exists. :WAP:

Her first forray into electic Swede pop goddess. A SLAPPER

Madame X
1 minute ago, clue said:

Easy winner

is that your favorite from it?  my favorite's always been long snake moan but i dn't know how that will fare here. 

Madame X
8 minutes ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

Right! She has ahead-of-its-time and quality material across all of her albums :clap3: 

are you gonna participate? :duca: its a lot more manageable than 275 madonna songs thats for sure.  

creativity.
17 minutes ago, Invisibility said:

It's Oh So Quiet coming for a negative average :clap3:

Will try to do this!

The worst song on Post and yet her most streamed song on Spotify :deadbanana4: WHY

Egon Schiele

I'm here for this, can I still participate?

Björk and PJ Harvey are everything

Madame X
1 minute ago, Egon Schiele said:

I'm here for this, can I still participate?

Björk and PJ Harvey are everything

yes, it just started!  you have til april 28