"Raya & the Last Dragon" FLOPS even with NYC theatres - $8M

boxoffice

Oh that’s bad :deadbanana4: It’s so sad because the movie is actually quite good. I enjoyed it. 

Lights and Waves

The fact that Tom and Jerry beat it is just :rip: really I thought it was OK. Nothing spectacular. The more I think about it, it would’ve benefited from some songs and music.

I can't at it doing less than Tom and Jerry. Think it would've gone over $10m if Cinemark played it but still. Maybe a lot of people did Premiere Access. *shrug* movie's good so it'll probably hold decently. 

Earth Ripper

... No :rip: The article itself argues against that.

Also, Raya was only initially projected to gross 6m. It's doing better than expected. The movie is also not out on Disney+, it will only be released to subscribers in June (and only a small portion of those opt for Premier Access).

Tom & Jerry had 400 movie theaters more playing it too btw.

Edited by Earth Ripper
1 minute ago, Earth Ripper said:

... No :rip: The article itself argues against that.

Also, Raya was only initially projected to gross 6m. It's doing better than expected. The movie is also not out on Disney+, it will only be released to subscribers in June (and only a small portion of those opt for Premier Access).

Tom & Jerry had 400 movie theaters more playing it too btw.

just because it had LOW prediction to start off with doesn't make it any better :deadbanana4: and it IS out on Disney+ for a fee, while tom and jerry was free on HBO max 

Earth Ripper
4 minutes ago, XAMJ said:

just because it had LOW prediction to start off with doesn't make it any better :deadbanana4: and it IS out on Disney+ for a fee, while tom and jerry was free on HBO max 

Everyone and their mom knew Raya would only be released in limited form and that its real roll-out would start in June, you're exaggerating af :foxaylove3: Not thát many people are hyped enough for a family animated movie to pay 20 bucks when they can get it for free if they wait a couple of months...

This is not a traditional release. I don't feel like it's fair to call it a flop because of it. And again: T&J had 400 more theaters.

Edited by Earth Ripper
byzantium

How can anyone possibly tell what film is a success in the Covid box office world?

JBJT2786
1 minute ago, byzantium said:

How can anyone possibly tell what film is a success in the Covid box office world?

over $20 million opening weekend/ over 50 million overall in the US.

18 minutes ago, JBJT2786 said:

Nothing has had over 20m opening :rip:

26 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

Everyone and their mom knew Raya would only be released in limited form and that its real roll-out would start in June, you're exaggerating af :foxaylove3: Not thát many people are hyped enough for a family animated movie to pay 20 bucks when they can get it for free if they wait a couple of months...

This is not a traditional release. I don't feel like it's fair to call it a flop because of it. And again: T&J had 400 more theaters.

Not when tom and jerry is already free on hbo max, but keep trying sis. PLUS Raya had NYC to help but still busted :foxaylove2:

Memoirs387

How are you calling it a flop when it was only on Disney plus for premium access so doing $8 million in a pandemic when people are also paying $30 is pretty damn good to me 

Alaska.

A movie doing bad at the cinemas in this pandemic? What a shocker 

byzantium
33 minutes ago, JBJT2786 said:

You have no clue how much this had made on Disney + though.  

Aribiotch

They messed up by making it an “exclusive premiere” on Disney+. Nobody wants to pay to watch a movie on a streaming app they already pay monthly for. I would have thought they would learn from SOUL.

JBJT2786
27 minutes ago, ALA said:

Nothing has had over 20m opening :rip:

Exactly my point :rip:

If we don't start getting those type of numbers soon expect expects to keep pushing back dates.

12 minutes ago, byzantium said:

You have no clue how much this had made on Disney + though.  

Considering a bunch of my Asian friends that are unwilling ( compared to Mulan) to pay 30 bucks...I don't think it's alot.

JBJT2786
25 minutes ago, Memoirs387 said:

How are you calling it a flop when it was only on Disney plus for premium access so doing $8 million in a pandemic when people are also paying $30 is pretty damn good to me 

It's also in theaters sis :rip:

pokerfaceboy

Even if Raya gets less than the travesty that is Tom & Jerry, nothing can deny how much of a masterpiece Raya is.

M André

Wait, so you need to pay both the subscription and $30 for the movie?
Yeah, I’m totally not using sis Cuevinah to watch it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfDkiwk9FVcyMXvBgj9Z8

Gui Blackout

Didn't even know this was out. Zero promo

It probably would’ve made a bit more money if Disney hadn’t had that premiere access thing for it on Disney plus 

Memoirs387
16 hours ago, JBJT2786 said:

It's also in theaters sis :rip:

I meant to say both. That was my mistake.