Why is radio paying dust to SZA's "Good Days"?

naval23

It peaked at #2 on Streaming for a month blocked by "Driver's License" and was killing it there.

But radio is paying it dust. Why? The fact it was a top 10 hit and still top 20 two months later with no radio support is impressive af :clap3:

Radio

45 Ava Max - My Head And My Heart (34.190)

67 Jason Derulo - Lifestyle (feat. Adam Levine) (24.580)

N/A SZA - Good Days (14.130)

Spotify US

3 SZA - Good Days

N/A Ava Max - My Head And My Heart

N/A Jason Derulo - Lifestyle (feat. Adam Levine)

Apple Music US

7 SZA - Good Days

662 Jason Derulo - Lifestyle (feat. Adam Levine)

769 Ava Max - My Head And My Heart

avrilredcarpet6yvkrl.gif

Idk but its sad how this and streets are absent from the top 10 despite being in the top 10 on streaming for both platforms each week.

but songs like Holy, Therefor I am are higher.  :juanny:

Anyway, radio has closed itself up, by staying fragmented in 20 different formats that all play different things. Good Days is not catchy enough for POP radio, it's not hip hop enough for URBAN radio, it's too moody for RHYTHMIC radio, it's too r&b for HAC radio. So, radio has no idea what to do with it

It would all be simpler if radio just played what people (clearly) want to hear instead of dividing into target groups and made-up genres, but as things are, it's just time to realize not all actual hits are going to become radio hits and even if they do, it's going to happen with a 3-month delay

No one would care what song becomes a radio hit anyway if that didn't account for 30% of the Billboard chart.

30 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

Radio

Spotify US

3 SZA - Good Days

Apple Music US

7 SZA - Good Days

avrilredcarpet6yvkrl.gif

To be fair, only pop radio is playing those songs and Good Days isn't really pop friendly to be played there. Also SZA has never really been much of a force on Urban/Rythmic in the first place. 

It's not really the most radio friendly track in general tbh

21 minutes ago, FAME. said:

To be fair, only pop radio is playing those songs and Good Days isn't really pop friendly to be played there. Also SZA has never really been much of a force on Urban/Rythmic in the first place. 

It's not really the most radio friendly track in general tbh

Isn't that a problem though? That a song that's been smashing for 2 months can't get airplay because the artist isn't established (which I'm not sure I agree with in SZA's case) or because it doesn't fit a radio "format" or because it's not radio friendly...

And what's "radio friendly" anyway? Good Days may not have obvious hooks, but it's a smooth song and I'd personally rather listen to that on the radio than Bieber's yodelling. Urban and rhythmic played the edited version of the clean version of WAP all the way to #2 and #1 respectively. I'd say Good Days might be too slow for them but H.E.R.'s "Damage" is top 10 on both formats and Ella Mai's single peaked right outside too. Radio gatekeeps in a weird way (which would be meaningless to me if they didn't also partly control the official chart)

rihannabiggestfan
1 hour ago, Truth Teller said:

Radio

Spotify US

3 SZA - Good Days

Apple Music US

7 SZA - Good Days

avrilredcarpet6yvkrl.gif

:skull:

I don't know, but it's really frustrating. This could have been a huge hit for her (it's already a hit and people love it, but radio could have taken it to the next level). 

It's really the big hit she needs to break into that next level of stardom. 

Everyone who knows the song loves it

Because SZA and her team haven't submitted to Pop radio or even Contemporary Hit where songs that have radio deals go. It seems like SZA is satisfied with the fact that it did so well without the need to pop radio, so she's choosing not to send it there. 

rihannabiggestfan
19 minutes ago, period sis said:

Because SZA and her team haven't submitted to Pop radio or even Contemporary Hit where songs that have radio deals go. It seems like SZA is satisfied with the fact that it did so well without the need to pop radio, so she's choosing not to send it there. 

Contemporary Hit is pop radio nnn :skull:

I don't think she's personally choosing this, I remember her shading RCA on social media recently. The fact that this song has been sent to pop radio in UK and Italy but not US ... mess

25 minutes ago, period sis said:

Because SZA and her team haven't submitted to Pop radio

It went for adds last week, according to Pulse and I believe it was serviced for airplay (without an impact date) 4 weeks ago.

I agree that they could have pushed a lot better and a lot harder (she's on RCA, I didn't expect much), but they have released it

1 hour ago, Truth Teller said:

Isn't that a problem though? That a song that's been smashing for 2 months can't get airplay because the artist isn't established (which I'm not sure I agree with in SZA's case) or because it doesn't fit a radio "format" or because it's not radio friendly...

And what's "radio friendly" anyway? Good Days may not have obvious hooks, but it's a smooth song and I'd personally rather listen to that on the radio than Bieber's yodelling. Urban and rhythmic played the edited version of the clean version of WAP all the way to #2 and #1 respectively. I'd say Good Days might be too slow for them but H.E.R.'s "Damage" is top 10 on both formats and Ella Mai's single peaked right outside too. Radio gatekeeps in a weird way (which would be meaningless to me if they didn't also partly control the official chart)

I see radio friendly as stuff that's a bit more mainstream/generic that is easily catchy and has high replay value. A "bop" if you will. As for more mid-tempo or ballady songs I feel like it's something that's a bit repetitive that makes people wanna sing along while their in their cars idk. I totally get what you're saying but Urban and Rythmic aren't opposed to playing explicit things as long as it's a bop, which WAP kind of is. Also I feel like SZA generally is seen as more like ALT tumblry R&B opposed to H.E.R and Ella Mai, Kehlani etc. whose music/sound/image is more contemporary/mainstream R&B (which is what Urban and Rythmic radio lean towards) so while the particular song might sound like it fits, SZA herself isn't seen as a contemporary R&B artist so they aren't checking for her music as heavily as the other two in the first place. It's more the lane SZA is in than the particular songs themselves. The same reason why people like FKA Twigs, or even Solange on a bigger scale, aren't hugely spun on those metrics. They just don't fit the mold of what most of their listeners are checking for (or at least they don't think so).

Edited by FAME.
1 hour ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

The fact that this song has been sent to pop radio in UK but not US ... mess

And it's actually doing better on UK radio :toofunny2: It peaked at #29 on their airplay chart and has been on the A-list of Radio 1, their biggest radio station, for 4 weeks. Not a smash, but they did play it, quicker and more than her home market. US radio just has too many weird standards and filters.

4 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

And it's actually doing better on UK radio :toofunny2: It peaked at #29 on their airplay chart and has been on the A-list of Radio 1, their biggest radio station, for 4 weeks. Not a smash, but they did play it, quicker and more than her home market. US radio just has too many weird standards and filters.

Doesn't UK radio tend to play new songs right away and they kind of die off? A #29 peak is nice but Katy's "Smile" peaked at #2 on radio there iirc, so UK is kinda paying it dust too.