• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trent W

• CaptainMusic

• feuxtography

• TayAlison89

Top Posters In This Topic

Beyonce hasn't "flopped" because she and her team have smartly pivoted the focal point of her career. 

She is literally playing a different game to the rest. She's transcended commercial measurements of success and is now a figure with cultural impact. From popularising visual albums in the modern era, surprise drops, and being at the center of conversation for hot-point topics such as Black justice. 

All the while she has fed the commercial side of her career by way of sold-out tours (her strongest metric) and consistent solo album sales. Not to mention the game-changing business deals she's making that also feed her cultural impact (Netflix, Disney, Adidas, Peloton). 

She's an anomaly because she wisely made sure to have made the switch while she's still a commercial force. So the transition has been seamless and unnoticeable to most. 

It's also why those who don't like her are perplexed and forever chasing their tails in confusion as to "why her?" when it comes to the universal praise, acclaim, and social penetration she has. 

The simple answer is that the cultural resonance she possesses is like goldust; even a lot of acts that outsell her know that it's something that can't be bought and is the true secret sauce to having a long career and a lasting impact (beyond just the charts). 

Beyond music, Beyonce all at once is: a sound, a feeling, a dance, an experience, and even an adjective. That is something a hit song or album or stack of RIAA plaques can't buy. 

Standom aside, she truly is the one act that ought to be studied as a brand in decades to come. Because she really managed to take all the good of those that came before her, avoid their pitfalls, and all the while hang with the new acts of the now. Impressively without an outright solo flop to her name. In many ways, it's unprecedented. 

Every artist on the planet has flopped at some point -

threads like these are not only a waste of everyone’s time but simply flame bait that the creator of this thread should be ashamed of inciting  

MoonGoodandHappy

The Gift

4 (flop:laugh:)(do y'all get the joke?)

Black Is King

Everything Is Love 

Edited by MoonGoodandHappy

She has only flopped with singles and side projects under another name.

She hasn’t flopped with official eras or studio albums which is legendary at this point of her career.

1 minute ago, CaptainMusic said:

Wait I forgot about The Gift, that was definitely a massive flop :lmao: 

how was The Gift a flop? :toofunny3: name me an album with afro-beats that was more successful

Don't Stop Me Now

It’s funny how people have a different standard when it comes down to Beyoncé tanking. 4, EIL, The Gift and I’m sure even some singles flopped. Yet some people like to pretend these projects didn’t exist, and that Lemonade was her last album. 

Just now, TayAlison89 said:

how was The Gift a flop? :toofunny3: name me an album with afro-beats that was more successful

The Gift isn’t even a Beyonce album, she doesn’t even sing in half of the songs.

She just collaborated and was the executive producer.

The Gift flopped. Everything Is Love flopped. 

Yes, technically, they aren't studio albums, but they still had a lot of hype going into their releases and they still flopped. 

Edited by onewillowsilk
1 minute ago, Don't Stop Me Now said:

It’s funny how people have a different standard when it comes down to Beyoncé tanking. 4, EIL, The Gift and I’m sure even some singles flopped. Yet some people like to pretend these projects didn’t exist, and that Lemonade was her last album. 

Yeah 4 was the only underperformance she has for an album, but it was a successful era and album overall.

It was impossible to match IASF. She bounced back immediately with ST

Objectively, she has flopped multiple times; however, she’s achieved a status where it doesn’t matter. She’s good for the rest of her career. Her next 17 eras could flop, and it still wouldn’t matter. She’s at a place where she will always be relevant, lauded, and respected - she’s cemented.

• #FreeBritney Activist

True

she has flopped with side-projects tho

some ppl would say she flopped WW with her last real eras too

but it's her 6th album :clap3: she has the reputation to sustain her next eras tbh

5 minutes ago, Trent W said:

She has only flopped with singles and side projects under another name.

She hasn’t flopped with official eras or studio albums which is legendary at this point of her career.

This is an unnecessary lie. The Gift was marketed as a Beyoncè soundtrack album for the Lion King. 

Not counting the interludes, she appears on 10/14 songs on the original album. How isn't that a Beyoncè album? 

I can compare it to Drake's More Life where he had some songs where other artists performed alone but he still appeared on the bulk of the songs and it was marketed as a Drake project.  

11 minutes ago, CaptainMusic said:

Interesting, so what is Gaga's flop era? 

Because i'm pretty sure you've said multiple times that ARTPOP, Joanne and Chromatica are not flops.

OT: As a solo artist she hasn't had a flop era yet but overall she has twice - DC's first album and her collab with Jay Z tanked.

Not true. Also my post is clearly about flopping in general. Never have I said that G.U.Y. or Perfect Illusion weren't flops. The ARTPOP era flopped and I have no problem admitting that. Applause has to carry that album on its back now that DWUW is also gone.

Joanne performed poorly in Europe but it was a moderate success especially in the US. The 3x platinum hit Million Reasons has good recurrent stats and the tour grossed $95 million with 49 shows.

Stupid Love flopped and that's fine because Rain On Me followed and smashed. The album will hit 2 billion streams on Spotify and it performed much better than Joanne globally.

But this thread is about Beyoncé so lets please stay on topic - Everything Is Love, The Gift (+ Spirit the single) are some examples of flops. 

:celestial5:

5 minutes ago, TayAlison89 said:

Her last studio album was Lemonade and it did more than well :coffee2:

I’m talking about a recent one. I remember all the threads that were created to drag her. 

13 minutes ago, TayAlison89 said:

The GIFT BOMBED.

It was backed by a Billion grossing movie yet sold only 949 copies first week in the UK. :rip: Just because afro-beats is not a popular genre does not change the fact that the album tanked and this wasn't an album by some irrelevant D-Lister, it was one by Beyonce and should've done better. Period.

15 minutes ago, Trent W said:

The Gift isn’t even a Beyonce album, she doesn’t even sing in half of the songs.

She just collaborated and was the executive producer.

She sings/talks on 13 of the tracks, co-produced almost every track, all 4 of the singles were Beyonce songs, did a whole damn documentary on it and the album is credited as Beyonce and Various artists. :skull: 

It is a Beyonce album, the same way The Bodyguard and ASIB are Whitney and Gaga albums.

I mean if we look at her more traditional solo studio album releases, sure... she's never really "flopped" per se, but we also can't just ignore "Everything is Love" as if it doesn't hold any weight in her career, especially as of late. I mean if that album had been a smash, some of ya'll would be using its stats and claiming it her album. That album was a big misstep in her career (and I think most her fans think so too). Also The Gift (which served some good material and amazing visuals) never really made that much of an impact despite its large platform and it never really went anywhere.

So no, I wouldn't say Beyonce is immune to flopping or having underperforming eras/projects if we cherry pick because she has made missteps along the way regardless if it was a solo effort or not. 

She has an amazing track record, at least as far as solo studio albums go, but I wouldn't hold her to some impossible standard because then you're just setting her up to get dragged the moment she isn't on top (which we've obviously seen happen here on ATRL).  She doesn't have to be successful anymore really, she's already proven herself.