What do you think happened with Ciara's career?

UnanimousBB16

UnanimousBB16

I don't hear ATRL talk about her that much (Ashanti is discussed more). She had a solid worldwide era with "Goodies", and "The Evolution" did okay in the US. It seemed like she was going to last for a while, but "Fantasy Ride" happened, and I STILL don't really know what happened there. What do y'all think overall?

JollyRancher

She became a soccer mom house wife and a socialite.

Her music is uninspired and an afterthought.

Although Level Up is a hood classic. 

itsnickcray

Pop music with Fantasy Ride happened. I remember the HUGE backlash during the Fantasy Ride album. All because the black communtity dumbed her because she was making “white people music”. I don’t know why she was the victim of this since she’s not the first black artists that tried to make more poppy music. The album is still very hiphop and r&b inspired.

she tried to be more urban with the album after FR but people moved on...

Her single "Level Up" just went viral a few years ago so she's fine. 

She's happily married to a rich and successful man, and become a well-known figure among soccer moms so the good sis is enjoying her life to the fullest

itsnickcray
Just now, Sept said:

She's happily married to a rich and successful man, and become a well-known figure among soccer moms so the good sis is enjoying her life to the fullest

Nahh that’s nothing compared to the respect and love she got in the industry. She was seen as the new Aaliyah

mylicious

There were MAJOR label issues involved with the whole Fantasy Ride era, also a lot of stuff got leaked back then.

She bounced back with CIARA and Body Party + I‘m Out became small hits. Urban music was back in trend.

Now I don’t understand what the hell the Jackie era was, very bad album. I wish she stayed in the lane of CIARA.

edit: Totally forgot about Beauty Marks, whoops. There were some good songs on it and yea Level Up became a small hit too in 2019.

Edited by mylicious
KillingYourCareer

She was always very local, and she lacked a fanbase big enough to keep her afloat. A shame, because Beauty Marks was great.

JollyRancher
9 minutes ago, itsnickcray said:

Pop music with Fantasy Ride happened. I remember the HUGE backlash during the Fantasy Ride album. All because the black communtity dumbed her because she was making “white people music”. I don’t know why she was the victim of this since she’s not the first black artists that tried to make more poppy music. The album is still very hiphop and r&b inspired.

As a black fan (it feels weird typing that but it matters in the instance), I loved Fantasy Ride. It's one of my favorite albums of her's. I always blame its lack of success on that tacky album cover.

But you are right, the album was very urban. Ciara to the Stage, Like A Surgeon (should have been a single), High Price....are all bops.

I even like the more pop tracks like Pucker Up and Tell Me What Your Name Is .

6 minutes ago, mylicious said:

There were MAJOR label issues involved with the whole Fantasy Ride era, also a lot of stuff got leaked back then.

She bounced back with CIARA and Body Party + I‘m Out became small hits. Urban music was back in trend.

Now I don’t understand what the hell the Jackie era was, very bad album. I wish she stayed in the lane of CIARA.

edit: Totally forgot about Beauty Marks, whoops. There were some good songs on it and yea Level Up became a small hit too in 2019.

The leaks were crazy. If I remember FR was suppose to be a 3 disc album, but everything had leaked.

Delicious

the music climate changed and she couldn’t keep up

her first 2 eras were BIG when urban/crunk were in but we all know music shifted in 2008 to electro-pop and she tried to swerve into that lane but her audience got confused

Beyonce and Rihanna pivoted to pop/dance/edm a lot easier because they were naturally poppier artists 

• #FreeBritney Activist
Enzolorenzo
14 minutes ago, Delicious said:

the music climate changed and she couldn’t keep up

her first 2 eras were BIG when urban/crunk were in but we all know music shifted in 2008 to electro-pop and she tried to swerve into that lane but her audience got confused

Beyonce and Rihanna pivoted to pop/dance/edm a lot easier because they were naturally poppier artists 

This. If she had debuted a few years before her career would’ve probably lasted longer 

51 minutes ago, itsnickcray said:

I think it was more so because of the audience she was initially appealing to, they just couldn’t get with her change in music, looks, and demeanor all at once. She came across as very fake to a lot of people (most agreed with Lloyd’s comment on her at the time) and trying to go back urban after that just confirmed for a lot that she was and she’s never fully got that audience back.

Delirious

She has a lot of cute tracks which I listen on the regular but I feel like her albums are just not good enough. EVERY album has too many fillers and it's really really hard to enjoy it this way.

At least in my opinion

Truth Teller

She started out riding on a short-lived trend (crunk) and had trouble finding her footing after that. The Evolution did spawn 3 big enough hits, but nothing on the size of 1,2,Step and Goodies or even Oh.

And then there was the "going pop" thing, which she was done WRONG for. A lot of black artists were crossing over at the time. Beyonce was doing Ryan Tedder ballads and Chris Brown scored his biggest hits with Forever and No Air, which were poppier than any Fantasy Ride song, but the community still loved and embraced them. There's nothing wrong with a black artist doing a little bit of pop, especially if it's organic and if it works for them (Ciara sounds more natural on pop songs than she does on r&b numbers like Sorry and Speechless). The fact that so many black artists are not only facing closed doors when they try to reach for pop appeal, but then the r&b door is also closed behind them to punish them for even trying is just wrong. Anyway, rant over

Ciara survived and continued scoring hits despite never having a big overall era again. Body Party and Level Up are among her biggest and most remembered hits, as is I Bet and even Ride to an extent. So, her career is fine. It'd be even better if she had ridden the Body Party wave with more Future tracks instead of getting pregnant and coming back 2 years later with a pop album but anywaaay

Her sound never evolved or adapted with the times. Her rise was heavily intertwined with the "crunk" movement, which was hugely popular at the time, but also a very "of the moment" "faddy" type of sound. Lil' Jon, The Ying Yang Twins and other crunk artists who were huge at that time also were never really able to branch out outside of that once it started declining. And even now she is still very stuck in her ways. It's 2021 and she is still releasing these pep rally sounding songs :rip:

She had her moment though 

2 hours ago, JollyRancher said:

Although Level Up is a hood classic. 

? In what hood exactly? :rip:

2 hours ago, Sept said:

:rip:

2 hours ago, Sept said:

And it went Platinum. 

What is the OP talking about? She’s like 12-14 years in her career she can’t stay on top forever

JollyRancher
5 minutes ago, FAME. said:

? In what hood exactly? :rip:

Idk from my personal perspective and black urban hood friend group...that’s where I am from...Level Up was big. Especially for cookouts and dancing. Bigger than anything she had released in awhile.