How big of a break is too big of a break?

Near

vibingnthriving
1 hour ago, Almost Home said:

See: Christina Aguilera’s release pattern 

Justin Timberlake didn't release an album for 7 years but it opened with 1 million sold in the first week & 2 top 10 hits & his biggest tour to date.

Anything over 3 years is pushing it, only people who made an insanely huge/acclaimed album can afford a longer break since the public will be anticipating their next record. Eg. Rihanna with Anti, Adele with 21, JT with FS/LS

2 minutes ago, vibingnthriving said:

Justin Timberlake didn't release an album for 7 years but it opened with 1 million sold in the first week & 2 top 10 hits & his biggest tour to date.

He was still active and focusing on his movie career. 

54 minutes ago, vibingnthriving said:

What does this have to do with the topic sweetie? Let’s try to make sense and keep it on the topic. 

Let me know if that’s hard for you!:hippo:

Depends the artist i guess

Britney dont release an album in 4 years and 6 months... but had abroad concerts in 2018 and has big hype currently, so this hiatus probably wont hurt so much

Christina Aguilera stayed 6 years without releasing an album, tho had several songs released in the meantime, still Liberation was a massive underperformance compared to Lotus

5 years is really a long break. I see it with P!nk‘s The Truth About Love and Beautiful Trauma releases (2012 & 2017). If she hadn‘t done so many gigs prior to Trauma‘s album release and generated some hype around it I fear it wouldn‘t have performed so well. Credit does also go to the Top 10 hit Just Like Fire, released one year earlier. Pregnancy can be a pain I guess,:gaycat5:

2 minutes ago, Pedro Labre said:

Depends the artist i guess

Britney dont release an album in 4 years and 6 months... but had abroad concerts in 2018 and has big hype currently, so this hiatus probably wont hurt so much

Christina Aguilera stayed 6 years without releasing an album, tho had several songs released in the meantime, still Liberation was a massive underperformance compared to Lotus

Agreed. I believe it also depends on their discography and fanbases. Artists like Rihanna, Taylor, Beyoncé, Gaga, Britney and maybe Adele could release a new album after a 3-5 year hiatus and it still be successful due to their phenomenal discography and singles. The anticipation builds too.

1 hour ago, vibingnthriving said:

he was pretty present still for 4 of theses 7 years

#01 Give it to Me

#05 Ayo Technology

#3 4 Minutes

#02 Dead and Gone

#10 Love Sex Magic

#11 Carry out

#13 Hallelujah

He basically was off the radar during 2011 and 2012 and thats it

if you count his movies as well during 2010 and 2011 he had pretty relevant movies

The Social Network (2010)
Bad Teacher (2011)
Friends with Benefits (2011)

In Time (2011)

It depends on the artist really. Someone who has a lot of star power would benefit more from long breaks, see JT for example. His 2013 comeback was HUGE. Whereas artists that don’t have a lot of star power can’t be gone for more than a year because people will forget they even exist.

It also depends on what else they are doing. If they’re like JT or Rihanna and still in the public eye, but not releasing new music they’ll be fine. But if you completely disappear say like Christina you would run into problems.

Edited by zach
vibingnthriving
1 hour ago, RULES said:

What does this have to do with the topic sweetie? Let’s try to make sense and keep it on the topic. 

Let me know if that’s hard for you!:hippo:

It has everything to do with the topic.  Don't call me "sweetie" either.

I don't know I am done with Paramore taking 4 years to release their albums ever since 2009 like... But they are an alternative band so it makes sense... But other bands like all time low release more frequently... Anywho 3 years is enough.

2 minutes ago, vibingnthriving said:

It has everything to do with the topic.  Don't call me "sweetie" either.

Explain how? I would love to see how you try to make sense of this. Take your time sweetie.

vibingnthriving

1 minute ago, RULES said:

Explain how? I would love to see how you try to make sense of this. Take your time sweetie.

It matters to you because?

vibingnthriving
Just now, RULES said:

You can’t that’s fine figured as much bye bye sweetie. :heart:

bye, there was no point of you quoting me in the first place sweetie. run along now!

46 minutes ago, P!nk Forever said:

5 years is really a long break. I see it with P!nk‘s The Truth About Love and Beautiful Trauma releases (2012 & 2017). If she hadn‘t done so many gigs prior to Trauma‘s album release and generated some hype around it I fear it wouldn‘t have performed so well. Credit does also go to the Top 10 hit Just Like Fire, released one year earlier. Pregnancy can be a pain I guess,:gaycat5:

That was so smart of she and her team to do. Of course it helps that she’s a otherworldly performer anyway.