Jump to content

Covers that ended up bigger than the original


umich

Recommended Posts

List a cover that ended up being bigger than the original. 

 

Examples:

 

Cover: Whitney Houston, "I Will Always Love You" (1992) [#1 Hot 100]

Original: Dolly Parton, "I Will Always Love You" (1974) [N/A Hot 100]

 

Cover: En Vogue, "Giving Him Something He Can Feel" (1992) [#6 Hot 100]

Original: Aretha Franklin, "Something He Can Feel" (1976) [#28 Hot 100]

Link to post
Share on other sites
gloamingtheplain
3 minutes ago, Marshal_ac said:

Ray of Light

 

 

I never knew this was a cover :deadbanana2:But now it makes so much sense because I always thought lyrically it didn't make sense for Madonna at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gloamingtheplain said:

I never knew this was a cover :deadbanana2:But now it makes so much sense because I always thought lyrically it didn't make sense for Madonna at all. 

 

10 minutes ago, Ryuuchan_X said:

omg i didn't know this was a cover :jonny: 

Well now I’m not sure it counts 100% as a cover. It’s more of a rework of the original. The original chorus was removed and some of the lyrics changed. 

but it’s interesting that it’s seen as a Madonna signature song now and nobody knows the original. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Cover: Britney Spears - Out From Under (8,538,881 spotify plays) #19 at Billboard BU & #32 on Sweeden

Original: Joanna Pacitti - Out From Under (743,259 spotify plays) never charted

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marshal_ac said:

Also this #1 WW smash 

 

Now I know you’re not saying Madonna’s cover is bigger than the original :deadbanana4:

 

The song did well on release because Madonna was smashing but it’s nearly completely forgotten (28M on Spotify). Don’s version is one of the biggest songs ever and has 351M streams on Spotify (for a song from 1971). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

Now I know you’re not saying Madonna’s cover is bigger than the original :deadbanana4:

 

The song did well on release because Madonna was smashing but it’s nearly completely forgotten (28M on Spotify). Don’s version is one of the biggest songs ever and has 351M streams on Spotify (for a song from 1971). 

I don’t even know who that guy is. I only know the Madonna version because it was #1 all over the world.

Link to post
Share on other sites
gloamingtheplain
2 minutes ago, Lament said:

Cher’s Bang Bang is forgotten compared to Nancy Sinatra’s version 

I'd agree until Cher re-recorded it and stole it back tbh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, gloamingtheplain said:

I never knew this was a cover :deadbanana2:But now it makes so much sense because I always thought lyrically it didn't make sense for Madonna at all. 

 

49 minutes ago, Ryuuchan_X said:

omg i didn't know this was a cover :jonny: 

 

36 minutes ago, Marshal_ac said:

 

Well now I’m not sure it counts 100% as a cover. It’s more of a rework of the original. The original chorus was removed and some of the lyrics changed. 

but it’s interesting that it’s seen as a Madonna signature song now and nobody knows the original. 

 

25 minutes ago, Mike91 said:

The fact I just found this out 23 years later... :deadbanana2:

 

I wouldn't exactly call it a cover:

It is based on the track "Sepheryn" (1971), by English folk music duo Curtiss Maldoon (consisting of Dave Curtiss and Clive Maldoon). In 1996, English singer and songwriter Christine Leach, Maldoon's niece, had recorded her version of the track. She worked for a time with Orbit and recorded a demo of "Sepheryn" over a melody on which he was working. Leach rewrote the chorus and also removed a few bits from the original composition. After Madonna heard the demo she liked it, and reworked the lyrics to create "Ray of Light".

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...