JK Rowling causes an increase in anti-trans sentiments

Almost Home

I still can't make any sense of this. How can someone whose writing is so empathic and wise on human relations be so vile, cold and delusional. I don't get it. I still kinda hope it's just some dream that I'll wake up from one day. Harry Potter was such an important part of my childhood, those books literally contributed to who I am today. I'll never stop loving the books, movies and characters. But it's not as easy as it used to be...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Almost Home

• Javan

• chester

• Banksy

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Aurora said:

I can't believe the lady who built ****ing HARRY POTTER singlehandedly killed one of the biggest franchises in the world just because she couldn't get over her bigoted TERF views. :rip:

Also, I know Harry Potter is far from a dead franchise and she'll still be making a pretty penny off of it for years to come, but the shift has already been noticeable. Between this and the Johnny Depp drama I honestly don't see Fantastic Beasts III doing nearly as well as its predecessors, and I honestly never hear people talk about it or see young children take an interest in it or anything. The new generation is more engaged by Tik Tok than Time-Turners!

Well most HP fans didn't like the concept of those either

C8A0B35C-1532-49D8-BDD9-AA83FEC30019.thu

Tinashegrande6

I really used to admire her and how she completely turned her life around. It's so disappointing that this was the way she decided to use her influence...

This is so sad and disgusting. I was a fan of Harry Potter but now I think it’s time for me to burn my books. I hope others will do the same. 

they should ban Harry Potter merchandise from stores and tear down the wizarding world area at Universal Studios. 

They knew their report would only get media pickup if they tied it to JK Rowling. Her remarks were quite mild tbh and are shared by the majority of the public, trying to blame her tweet for national hate crime stats is laughable.

Just now, PoisonPill said:

They knew their report would only get media pickup if they tied it to JK Rowling. Her remarks were quite mild tbh and are shared by the majority of the public, trying to blame her tweet for national hate crime stats is laughable.

She's literally using anti-trans TERF talking points. How's that mild? :deadbanana4:

• #FreeBritney Activist

She’s evil and I’m done with HP

Even the books shows signs of her evil mentality :rip:

Elusive Chanteuse
29 minutes ago, taylor__fan said:

She is awful, but these people whose opinion are being affected by hers, are even worse

!

Elusive Chanteuse
7 minutes ago, PoisonPill said:

trying to blame her tweet for national hate crime stats is laughable.

!! I also agree with this. One person tweeting doesn't have this much impact if society has progessed forward with acceptance.

13 minutes ago, Elusive Chanteuse said:

!! I also agree with this. One person tweeting doesn't have this much impact if society has progessed forward with acceptance.

It wasn't just a Tweet. It's a book character, essays defending her stance with anti-trans TERF rhetoric, multiple Tweets, likes and Twitter threads supporting anti-trans Twitter pages and other TERFs as well as undermining the trans fight for equal rights and transitioning in the UK over a period of time and not just one instance.

She's also a massive public figure with a mammoth-sized following and platform as well as respect so we can't just equate her to just any random Twitter user Tweeting questionable or problematic things.

If you want a cohesive video summarizing the entire timeline and as to why her commentary is so damaging please watch this video made by a trans woman herself without any prejudice towards JK Rowling. 

It also explains why she's a TERF whether she wants to admit it or realizes it herself or not (she probably should by now). 

56 minutes ago, Arrows said:

I still can't make any sense of this. How can someone whose writing is so empathic and wise on human relations be so vile, cold and delusional. I don't get it. I still kinda hope it's just some dream that I'll wake up from one day. Harry Potter was such an important part of my childhood, those books literally contributed to who I am today. I'll never stop loving the books, movies and characters. But it's not as easy as it used to be...

I wonder if she has personal issues with trans people that have made her think like this. Like her own repressed feelings or someone in her family.

one of the responses to this thread in particular :biblio:

she is disgusting! and it was not one tweet, her actions over the past few years amount to an all out assault on the trans community veiled in bullsh*t statements about "well i support trans people!" meanwhile making it clear through her language that, because of their biology, she will never truly see trans women as women. she also alerted her followers to the "crisis" of de-transitioning among young people and has spoken way too comfortably about a issues that she has no place as a straight, cis white woman speaking on. as if the "think about the children!!" narrative hasn't been weaponized by homophobes and transphobes alike for decades.

GreatestLoveofAll

its truly such a shame that one of the greatest literary forces of modern times, who single handedly created a world of comfort for billions is the same person who did this. I'll always love Harry Potter, but I cant ever blame someone who never wants to associate themselves with those books and this... person again. 

Tinashegrande6
9 minutes ago, midnightdawn said:

I wonder if she has personal issues with trans people that have made her think like this. Like her own repressed feelings or someone in her family.

In her documentary, her and her sister talked about how her dad had wanted a boy and even told JK what her name would have been had she been a boy. I would think that would cause some issues growing up.

4:00

In her essay she talked about her mental health issues growing up and how the idea of transitioning would've been appealing to her at that age.

The writings of young trans men reveal a group of notably sensitive and clever people.  The more of their accounts of gender dysphoria I’ve read, with their insightful descriptions of anxiety, dissociation, eating disorders, self-harm and self-hatred, the more I’ve wondered whether, if I’d been born 30 years later, I too might have tried to transition. The allure of escaping womanhood would have been huge. I struggled with severe OCD as a teenager. If I’d found community and sympathy online that I couldn’t find in my immediate environment, I believe I could have been persuaded to turn myself into the son my father had openly said he’d have preferred.

When I read about the theory of gender identity, I remember how mentally sexless I felt in youth. I remember Colette’s description of herself as a ‘mental hermaphrodite’ and Simone de Beauvoir’s words: ‘It is perfectly natural for the future woman to feel indignant at the limitations posed upon her by her sex. The real question is not why she should reject them: the problem is rather to understand why she accepts them.’

As I didn’t have a realistic possibility of becoming a man back in the 1980s, it had to be books and music that got me through both my mental health issues and the sexualised scrutiny and judgement that sets so many girls to war against their bodies in their teens. Fortunately for me, I found my own sense of otherness, and my ambivalence about being a woman, reflected in the work of female writers and musicians who reassured me that, in spite of everything a sexist world tries to throw at the female-bodied, it’s fine not to feel pink, frilly and compliant inside your own head; it’s OK to feel confused, dark, both sexual and non-sexual, unsure of what or who you are.

1 hour ago, Tinashegrande6 said:

In her documentary, her and her sister talked about how her dad had wanted a boy and even told JK what her name would have been had she been a boy. I would think that would cause some issues growing up.

In her essay she talked about her mental health issues growing up and how the idea of transitioning would've been appealing to her at that age.

Interesting. Looks like a lot of her insecurities and issues are triggered by the trans discussions.