JK Rowling causes an increase in anti-trans sentiments

Almost Home

GettyImages-1061228896-1024x721.jpg

An international LGBT+ rights review has warned the UK is facing “significant damage” because of transphobic hate speech and JK Rowling.

British leaders previously boasted of the UK’s top-place ranking on ILGA-Europe’s equality index, but the country tumbled significantly in recent years – as others leap ahead while the UK struggles to implement basic reforms on gender recognition and conversion therapy.

This year’s report, published on Tuesday (16 February), now shows the UK lagging in tenth place, behind the top-ranked Malta, Belgium and Luxembourg, as well as Norway, France, Denmark, Spain, Portugal and Finland.

Significantly, the report notes the rise of anti-trans voices in UK society and the damage they have caused to progress on equality.

International LGBT+ review says UK has faces ‘serious damage’ from JK Rowling and anti-trans rhetoric.

It notes: “Anti-trans rhetoric continued to cause serious damage in the UK again this year. A prime example is repeated transphobic attacks by author JK Rowling, on Twitter and in her writing.”

JK Rowling has repeatedly denied allegations she is transphobic.

The report continues: “Her statements have been harshly criticised by trans people, activists and writers. A growing number of celebrities, including from Harry Potter films, have spoken out in support of trans communities.

“Some trans people expressed their wish to leave the UK because of the growing hate.”

The report warns that in some parts of the UK, “hate crimes had been steadily increasing… in part due to an increase in reporting, but also influenced by increasing hostility in UK-wide media towards trans identities and communities”.

Read the rest here

A great summary and explanation of JK Rowling's commentary over the years (including that controversial book) as well as the damage it's doing to the trans community can be found here - it's worth the watch!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Almost Home

• Javan

• chester

• Banksy

Top Posters In This Topic

It always shocks and saddens me to see that the woman who created some of the best memories of my childhood turned out to be a diabolical pig. 

Anyways, she can rot. 

I honestly will never be able to enjoy anything Harry Potter related knowing that it came from the same twisted and prejudiced mind that spewed all of this nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

And some transphobes here were defending her :biblio:

That reminded me to add a video link in the OP explaining the damage and summarizing the entire situation over the years :lakitu:

I can't believe the lady who built ****ing HARRY POTTER singlehandedly killed one of the biggest franchises in the world just because she couldn't get over her bigoted TERF views. :rip:

Also, I know Harry Potter is far from a dead franchise and she'll still be making a pretty penny off of it for years to come, but the shift has already been noticeable. Between this and the Johnny Depp drama I honestly don't see Fantastic Beasts III doing nearly as well as its predecessors, and I honestly never hear people talk about it or see young children take an interest in it or anything. The new generation is more engaged by Tik Tok than Time-Turners!