St. Vincent - 'Daddy's Home'

World Eater

• #FreeBritney Activist

yknow when Masseduction came out, i immediately thought it was a masterpiece. poppy but with enough of a glam rock flavor to make it so melodramatic (it’s still better than that album imo) and over-the-top that it felt artier than any other pop release in 2017. i still have a soft spot for it BUT that sequencing error from Happy Birthday Johnny to Savior to New York stands out and makes me cringe a bit everytime i return to the album :toofunny2: 

nothing like that here though! this is exceptionally cohesive, and I do feel like there are a lot of nuances. the three pre-release singles are obviously the poppiest, and Down is the closest thing here to a hit like Los Ageless or Birth in Reverse (soooo different stylistically though!)

anyway I love this and I think with time more people will as well ūüėĆ don‚Äôt know if it‚Äôll overtake self-titled as my fav, but it‚Äôs easily in her top 3!

3 hours ago, wraith said:

I really love it, I didn't know this is what I wanted from her but it totally hit the spot for me. Down and Out Downtown, Live in The Dream, Down, My Baby Wants a Baby and At the Holiday Party snapped and there isn't any immediate filler here. I can't say it is better than Strange Mercy or self-titled for me yet, I need to sit with it for a while but I already feel I will come back to this more than I did Masseduction. It is honestly hard to rank her albums, I really think she serves consistent quality and have never felt disappointed by a St Vincent album, there are just some I end up listening to less than others. 

3 hours ago, shookspeare said:

This is great

Why am I not seeing more love for Somebody Like Me? After a few listens it's the clear standout imo. The melody is one of her best

all of this tea btw :clap3: Somebody Like Me is the clear second fav of mine at the moment after Live in the Dream. Live in the Dream feels like her (song) masterpiece, up there with Prince Johnny and Young Lover :heart:

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HonourableVomit

• Ice Cream Skies

• truthteller

• JoeAg

• #FreeBritney Activist
1 hour ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Everyone is of course welcome to have their own opinion on the album/dislike it/etc but I find it funny how cyclical people are about artist releases. Self-titled comes out "this is trash, Strange Mercy was way better." Masseduction comes out "this is trash, self-titled was way better." Daddy's Home comes out "this is trash, Masseduction was way better." Which I've been seeing this more on other places rather than ATRL.

I guess it's because, especially with St Vincent, the artist usually gets a good amount of new fans who end up having a personal connection to the album that got them into the artist and they automatically hate the follow-up, especially if it's not similar to the last record. I feel like as much as Mass was trashed back then and still now it was a lot of people's first Annie album.

This. She reinvents herself every era, which will confuse newer fans. But I know Annie! These kids with their Dua Lipa avatars and tributes to Charli XCX in their signatures... they just don't get it.

This album will be a grower, not a shower.

5 minutes ago, Stevie said:

This. She reinvents herself every era, which will confuse newer fans. But I know Annie! These kids with their Dua Lipa avatars and tributes to Charli XCX in their signatures... they just don't get it.

:skull: ....... 

18 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Thank you for the honesty. :hug: It's just sad that many others in this thread aren't facing reality, being genuine and admitting their true feelings about Daddy's Home. You and @JoeAgare the only two people to speak out on the incredible quality of the music. Which isn't a surprise, since both of you have a true understanding of music and have proven time after time that your taste can be trusted. I won't be tough on listeners with taste because that's clearly who this album was intended for. It's the tasteless fans that should be ashamed of themselves for thinking this is bad.

As for being blown away by this album and St. Vincent, I mirror those sentiments. :frown:

It's incredible because this is a woman I've followed and respected as an artist, creator, innovator, etc. for years and it honestly seemed like she was on a uphill trajectory and Daddy's Home just prove once again that she can do no wrong and will only get even better from here. :weeps: We love to see it.

Posted (edited)

DO YOU KNOW WHAT I WANT

(WHAT YOU WANT? WHAT YOU WANT?)

YOU KNOW WHAT I WANT

KEEP THE REST BABY

AH, AH I WANNA BE LO-O-O-O-OVED

Nicki Minaj Screaming GIF - NickiMinaj Screaming Scream - Discover & Share  GIFs

Edited by bestfiction

Listening to the album as loud as I can by myself and my god, it is hitting hard. :jonny5:

2 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Everyone is of course welcome to have their own opinion on the album/dislike it/etc but I find it funny how cyclical people are about artist releases. Self-titled comes out "this is trash, Strange Mercy was way better." Masseduction comes out "this is trash, self-titled was way better." Daddy's Home comes out "this is trash, Masseduction was way better." Which I've been seeing this more on other places rather than ATRL.

I guess it's because, especially with St Vincent, the artist usually gets a good amount of new fans who end up having a personal connection to the album that got them into the artist and they automatically hate the follow-up, especially if it's not similar to the last record. I feel like as much as Mass was trashed back then and still now it was a lot of people's first Annie album.

I've also noticed this and I think it's really weird. Masseduction introduced me to St Vincent and it's still one of my favorite albums. I also tried her older albums but couldn't really enjoy them for some reason. Still when I heard she was going to release a new album I didn't think for a second that it should sound anything like Masseduction. For me this new album is perfect because it sounds nothing like Masseduction. For me Masseduction is a cold winter morning drive through a small town that is covered in snow. Daddy's Home on the other hand feels like standing next to a field in late July and although the Sun has set the wind is still warm. They are polar opposites yet both of them have such vivid and fully realized characteristics that I personally can't even really compare them. I love them both for what they are.

My top 3 are  Somebody Like Me - The Melting of the Sun - My Baby Wants A Baby 

7 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Annie and Marina twin sisters :gaycat4: we need them to collab 

4 minutes ago, usedtothis said:

Libra queens.

8 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

/Lana Fans lol

• #FreeBritney Activist
1 minute ago, Katamari said:

is it good? i liked the lead single

It’s phenomenal 

Dress‚Āüup in white
Slip‚Āüon the ring
Walk‚Āüstraight down the aisle
To the violin strings
Does it make you a genius or
The fool of the week
To believe enough
In somebody like me

GhRGO2X.gif  

Literally straight off Actor (2009) 

• #FreeBritney Activist
6 hours ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Thank you for the honesty. :hug: It's just sad that many others in this thread aren't facing reality, being genuine and admitting their true feelings about Daddy's Home. You and @JoeAgare the only two people to speak out on the incredible quality of the music. Which isn't a surprise, since both of you have a true understanding of music and have proven time after time that your taste can be trusted. I won't be tough on listeners with taste because that's clearly who this album was intended for. It's the tasteless fans that should be ashamed of themselves for thinking this is bad.

As for being blown away by this album and St. Vincent, I mirror those sentiments. :frown:

It's incredible because this is a woman I've followed and respected as an artist, creator, innovator, etc. for years and it honestly seemed like she was on a uphill trajectory and Daddy's Home just prove once again that she can do no wrong and will only get even better from here. :weeps: We love to see it.

:hug: feel the same right back atcha! I feel like a lot of people on here sometimes have a hard time getting used to the chameleonic elements of certain musicians' career trajectories. I think it shows that they're not one-trick ponies and that they're willing to take risks, which is admirable when it comes to music. Annie has shown time and time again that she's one of the most intelligent and evidently classically trained of the alt girls, and her experimentation will make her musical trajectory even more fascinating in retrospect. I mean the same person who wrote Laughing with a Mouth of Blood and Cruel also wrote Huey Newton and Live in the Dream. her range is far greater than people give her credit for

1 hour ago, usedtothis said:

this tea though! these two are the most harshly critiqued female artists I can think of on here lol

and they're also both brilliant :gaycat3: some people can't handle evolution, as I said up there^

Tell me what having a Dua Lipa avatar & Charli XCX signature has to do with liking or disliking this album.

Saying people are entitled to their opinion and then going on to discredit their opinion based off their avatar and signature choices is disingenuous. Yet the only credible opinions are ones that agree with yours? 

I've been "knowing Annie" for years. Knowing Annie long enough to remember her scrambling to take down café interviews because she didn't properly guess a song right and has a complex about seeming like she doesn't know stuff. Long enough to know she has 2 completely different stories of how she discovered Kate Bush lol when it's not that deep. 

And I still think this album ain't it. The songs aren't strong enough or memorable enough for me. It's similar to other senior releases recently where there aren't insane quality drops on a song to song basis but the songs never go over the hump either. This has been a thing with her for me since Self-titled (Huey Newton being one of my least favorite songs ever for how disrespectful I found it). It's okay for people to not like this and not liking it doesn't mean they don't "know" her :skull: I would think people on here wouldn't subscribe to the idea that people can't like a wide range of artists or genres but here we are, perpetuating the same **** that you've complained Rockists have done for decades. You can also talk about your love of this album without ****ting on other people's opinions of it in a pretentious manner, it's not even constructive debates being had. 

• #FreeBritney Activist
8 hours ago, Stevie said:

The taste!