5- The Laughing Man

6- Down

7- Somebody Like Me

8- Pay Your Way In Pain

9- Down and Out Downtown

10- Daddy's Home

11- Candy Darling

5-7 are pretty much tied and i just know Somebody Like Me will end up higher

I'm not feeling the title track, but its still a good song!

Candy Darling adds almost nothing to the album, it's good but too short and well, Live In The Dream would be a better closer (i know there's the interlude but still).

Right now this album is one of her best for sure, I hope she snatches an AOTY nom :jonny5:

• ATRL Moderator

This sounds like a Marry Me track! 

Pay Your Way in Pain still HITS not surprised so many people still hate it though. That first "I wanna be LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED!" moment is just a SLAAPPPPPPPPP

Somebody Like Me:cries: this album makes me want to go fishing while on acid. It has such an organic sound to it.

• #FreeBritney Activist

yeah Live in the Dream might just be her best song :jonny4: this is what I always knew she was capable of! it's stoned, dreamy, pure psychedelia... it's a masterpiece

• ATRL Moderator

Faves on first listen: Daddy's Home, Somebody Like Me, Down, ...At the Holiday Party

Down and Out Downtown the SITAR moments in the peak of the song. YES. Ohhhhh the title track scream bitch. I can see people hating this LMFAO.

Live in the Dream is nice, a tiny bit too downcast for how long the song is though. I still really like it. The Melting of the Sun, still great. My least favorite of the 3 singles, but great of course.

Posted (edited)

First listen favorites: ...At The Holiday Party, Daddy's Home, Live in the Dream, My Baby Wants a Baby

Some of them will need a few more listens to sink in (Down and Out Downtown, Someone Like Me, The Laughing Man), but I actually loved the album as a whole. What a vibe.

Edited by Ice Cream Skies

32 minutes ago, massedux said:

I really went into this album scared af bc of all the users dragging it... this is beautiful?:rip:

right??? it’s like.. thoroughly brilliant from start to finish :deadbanana4:

After listening through the album over 10 times this is how I'd rank the songs right now:

1. Somebody Like Me

2. Live In The Dream

3. Down And Out Downtown

4. My Baby Wants A Baby

5. The Melting Of The Sun

6. Candy Darling

7. The Laughing Man

8. Down

9. Daddy's Home

10. ...At The Holiday Party

11. Pay Your Way In Pain

I also really like the interludes. They add to the overall mood of the album. 

The Laughing Man, also one that will need to grow on me with Live in the Dream. WHEW back to Down. Yeah I've decided this is definitely my favorite of the singles.

YES Somebody Like Me is very Marry Me. So good too!

Posted (edited)

I understand the mixed reviews on here, especially if you listened to Masseducation and loved the more high energy, uptempo (arguably more pop) songs. My favourite songs from Mass were probably some of the slower ones, like Slow Disco and Smoking section, so the slower songs on here are fine.

There are a few times in the album where it feels like it needs a more high energy song or an increase in energy within a song, and it never arrives. It would give the album a welcome change in pace, but overall I'm liking this a lot and need to give it a few more listens.

Edited by Letemtalk

My Baby Wants a Baby... gorgeous. ...At the Holiday Party is also gorgeous omg :cries: Candy Darling is a perfect little wrap up of the last "third" of the album too. Awesome.

So I can 100% see why people hate this especially on here :laugh: However the fact that this is basically another side of Strange Mercy (esp since we now know what was also about her dad's incarceration) and I am obsessed with the funk on most of the songs I really really like this. Possibly my 2nd fave of hers, but might be on hype to say this??? A queen!

• #FreeBritney Activist

It's a good album. Was hoping it would have a few more uptempo tracks, not sure how much of this I'll actually replay to be honest.

My favorites are Down, The Melting Of The Sun, Down And Out Downtown, The Laughing Man, Somebody Like Me, and At The Holiday Party.

• #FreeBritney Activist

Holiday Party is so beautiful yet devastating. One of my favorites ever from her. The "not getting what you neeeeeeed" part is heartbreaking and relatable.

Does anyone else find it weird the album ends on an interlude? Kind of an underwhelming way to end especially since Candy Darling is kinda like an interlude too.

• #FreeBritney Activist

Wow at the holiday party :jonny5:

I think it's very good, very consistent. It doesn't have huge bangers but I didn't dislike any song

Live in a Dream, Down and Out Downtown, My Baby Wants a Baby were my favorite album cuts. Laughing Man and Candy Darling are the weakest tracks

20 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Holiday Party is so beautiful yet devastating. One of my favorites ever from her. The "not getting what you neeeeeeed" part is heartbreaking and relatable.

Does anyone else find it weird the album ends on an interlude? Kind of an underwhelming way to end especially since Candy Darling is kinda like an interlude too.

Candy Darling and Humming 3 feel like an encore to the album to me in a way. I think the lyric “All my ghosts will be humming…” as the album fades out finishes the album nicely because of how the interludes weave through the album, but maybe that’s just me.

Beautiful album but I'm not sure if I'll listen to it a lot (same with NFR! and COTCC). :coffee2: