Aaliyah - “They Say (Quit Hatin’)”

stephen1108

stephen1108

Unreleased track from the Aaliyah recording sessions, penned by Static Major and Keybeats. It was also re-recorded at one point and that’s where “He Keeps Me Shakin’” comes from (IDK which version came first tbh). It leaked last month via a SoundCloud page, but I’m just happy that we finally got a leak from this era that hasn’t been finger f**ked by other producers or hands not involved in the original creative process :alexz:

Edited by stephen1108
stephen1108

These demos leaked too, I wonder if these were sourced from that in house Aaliyah album demo CD 🤔

goldstargay

It's great to get new music but it still hurts my heart to listen to her, ugh :(

Ugh it's so crazy to hear 'new' Aaliyah vocals :((

also hearing the original '****in' Problems' sample over this beat is wild

stephen1108
4 hours ago, Static said:

Ugh it's so crazy to hear 'new' Aaliyah vocals :((

also hearing the original '****in' Problems' sample over this beat is wild

Not just new vocals, but the original production!! There’s something special hearing about hearing an unreleased track in it’s original concept. :smitten2:

And I didn’t even CLOCK that was an Aaliyah sample until I heard this today :deadbanana2:

I honestly haven’t kept up with a lot of the recent stuff because it feels like her legacy has been reduced to unreleased samples sprinkled in random songs here and there. I know it’s because there’s so much red tape surrounding Blackground and Barry Hankerson, it’s truly the pits.

I even came across a new version of Steady Ground today, with NEW VOCALS :jonny5:

When compared to some of the other remixed unreleased Aaliyah tracks, the production is honestly decent. I’m assuming this is from the scrapped 2012 album, but the crazy thing is this uses a different vocal take in some parts, and even has new adlibs from Aaliyah that weren’t in the demo. Now I’m wondering what the tea with this track really is. The producer said his engineer lost her background vocals, then Aaliyah didn’t have enough time to re-record them due to the deadline by Virgin to turn in the record, and that’s why it didn’t end up on the album. 

40 minutes ago, stephen1108 said:

Not just new vocals, but the original production!! There’s something special hearing about hearing an unreleased track in it’s original concept. :smitten2:

And I didn’t even CLOCK that was an Aaliyah sample until I heard this today :deadbanana2:

I honestly haven’t kept up with a lot of the recent stuff because it feels like her legacy has been reduced to unreleased samples sprinkled in random songs here and there. I know it’s because there’s so much red tape surrounding Blackground and Barry Hankerson, it’s truly the pits.

I even came across a new version of Steady Ground today, with NEW VOCALS :jonny5:

When compared to some of the other remixed unreleased Aaliyah tracks, the production is honestly decent. I’m assuming this is from the scrapped 2012 album, but the crazy thing is this uses a different vocal take in some parts, and even has new adlibs from Aaliyah that weren’t in the demo. Now I’m wondering what the tea with this track really is. The producer said his engineer lost her background vocals, then Aaliyah didn’t have enough time to re-record them due to the deadline by Virgin to turn in the record, and that’s why it didn’t end up on the album. 

Yessss! It's such a good feeling to hear it all in there.

Ugh exactly, it's so upsetting that her musical legacy is still being paid dust all these years later.

Also omg this version of Steady Ground has had me SO confused to this day lol. IIRC it leaked back in 2018 with the OG version of Charge It To The Game just with no info. But in terms of the date/producer, I found this tweet from YKIGS in 2015 (https://twitter.com/YKIGS/status/641042987099656192) which mentioned coming across a remixed version of SG with new vocals and later said it was produced by someone named Phatboi in 2013 and so I'm assuming it's this version? But in terms of the new Aaliyah vocals, I've got no clue! Even J-Dub didn't have them on his 2014 remix of Steady Ground and posted about the vocals being lost in 2019. I wonder if someone at Blackground did find/save the final vocals after all 🤔