Jesy Nelson is working on solo music

T.O.A.D.S.

Hmmm. 

On the one hand, it's easy to be cynical given when and how she left the group (see: the most important point of the campaign). 

BUT...

Several things can be true at once. In that she very may well have found being in a GROUP hard but also wants to continue using her gift SOLO. Something she is more than entitled to. 

People immediately think of the intense promo schedule and comparison to the other girls as what she found difficult, but it's totally plausible that she also got tired of always having to compromise. It's like being in a constant group project at school. Someone is always going to feel on the outside or that their voice isn't heard enough.

Maybe that's what the issue was. It doesn't always need to be personal differences; sometimes it can be as simple as differences in musical tastes and/or creative ideas. Presumably being on the losing end of that constantly while still expected to show up and smile at work would be hard for even the strong-willed player. 

People also ought to remember that contracts are no joke. It's not always possible to wake up, stretch your arms, and quit a job when tied to a contract. 

If I remember right with Fifth Harmony, they all were always signed "solo" deals post X Factor and simply operated as 5H on the front-end. Meaning when Camila "left", the label weren't bothered because the deal was on-going and simply saw the front-end product become her solo career. 

Maybe that's what's at play with Jesy.  

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beyonnaise

• J Legend X

• The Slayer

• Joemo

As for her solo prospects, I'm torn.

She could easily pull off a Rita Ora/Jesse Glynn type trajectory. So DJ collabs and easy-breezy bops that I'm sure the Mixers will at least support at the beginning.

At the same time, she's almost 30 and while I'm not ageist the music industry is. Also she's technically not a "new" act, but will be starting from total scratch on all the key platforms (like Spotify, Apple Music). Stuff like this never used to matter before when hype from going solo could translate into sales. Now the chart equation is a lot more about existing momentum on streaming and radio. So it really would make sense to go the DJ collab route first. 

Whatever the case, I think it works in her favour going solo as and when she did. Because the exact lane I see her achieving whatever success she will is the EXACT lane the remaining members will be vying for if they were to ever go solo.

iaintiffin

Hope her mental health can take the roastings thats coming her way. Her excuse for leaving the band no longer makes sense.

I don't see what the problem is. Little Mix is a machine, a brand, they have tight scedules, future plans an if you don't mentally feel well, you have to let 3 others down. Also the topics sung about will be mainly general, despite some nodges to certain topics like Shout Out To My Ex back then. As solo artist she has no limitations to write down her feelings, to write down her thoughts and to use the sessions as literal therapy and enjoy music on her time and pace rather than being chased by a machine.

I get it may not feel 'right' for people after the way she left, but I am not gonna judge until we see what happens with this

45seconds

If she releases music where her body isn’t the center of attention (LM got reaaally sexualized during the latter run of their careers) I don’t see what the problem is. 

for everyone comparing this to zayn, they are RIGHT. Zayn left and started to release music while simultaneously staying out of the public eye. 

Beyonnaise
1 minute ago, J-esper said:

Little Mix is a machine, a brand, they have tight scedules, future plans an if you don't mentally feel well, you have to let 3 others down.

Interesting. I was told for years by Little Mix stans that they were just a group of best friends above all else and weren’t “manufactured” like other pop groups. Glad we’re establishing that they were always just as calculated of a pop product as any other, which is completely ok :celestial5:

Jesy really said we're not meant to be like sleeping and cocaine
So let's at least agree to go our separate ways
Not gonna judge you when you're releasing music
As long as you swear you won't be pissed when I do it myself
Let's end it like we should and say we're good 

:jonny5: 

52 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

But I thought she wanted to step away from stage and music industry?

Hope she flops:heart:

This. She has always been the less likable to me but I supported her since she seemed genuine, but this :biblio: 

MusicBiz234

pretends to be shocked.

All the best to Jesy AND

hope the little mix trio kills it next era. 

• #FreeBritney Activist
The Slayer

Wow, I genuinely did not expect this so soon.

I love Jesy so much but i'm a little irked by the timing but i'll always support her :heart:

Pink Matter

I'm not sure why this is that big of an issue? Just because she doesn't want to be in a group, that doesn't mean she has to stop making music. If being in a group caused her too much pressure due to being scrutinized for her appearance constantly, then I think this is good alternative. She can make music whenever she wants and as often as she wants and can have more liberty to promote however she sees fit. People are shading this as a 'Zayn' move but honestly for someone who may be dealing with a lot of social pressures/anxiety/mental health issues/etc., this is great because now she just gets to work at her own pace.

56 minutes ago, TaggedGalaxy said:

So she left LM because she wanted to be solo and not be in a group anymore. 

i think the pressure of being in little mix was too much for her and she most likely wanted to move on and stop singing kid bopz, didn't she hate black magic? 

it's totally fair but it's funny to me because of what their stans were saying :mandown:

I knew she would do this lol. Her first single will have hype but she isn’t gonna be big after that. 

She will probably diss the other girls in a few years with a tell all. 

Delirious

Can she stop? Like I was rooting for her SO HARD but this shadiness is surely NOT it.

9 minutes ago, Beyonnaise said:

Interesting. I was told for years by Little Mix stans that they were just a group of best friends above all else and weren’t “manufactured” like other pop groups. Glad we’re establishing that they were always just as calculated of a pop product as any other, which is completely ok :celestial5:

:deadbanana2:

• #FreeBritney Activist
The Slayer
53 minutes ago, tbhmatt said:

I’m already anticipating a vast number of certain individuals to come running in here, since Little Mix have a habit of getting this forum perpetually bothered for absolutely no reason.

I have no interest in engaging in pettiness and I also have no time to start quoting individual members and getting in to arguments, so I’ll say this once and I’ll say it loudly for everyone:

Jesy never, ever said that she left Little Mix because she wanted to move away from being a performer or a singer. Singing and performing is her dream job and it’s what she loves to do. Just because she no longer wants to do that as part of Little Mix doesn’t mean that she has no right to explore music on her own.

She left because the pressures of being in a girl band (where you have to compromise a lot) have taken a toll on her mental health. This does not only mean the scrutiny of her appearance, but also the pressures of constant promo, intense work schedules and huge arena tours etc. Things Jesy has done continually for 9 years straight, without ever taking a real break.

If she wants to pursue a solo career, it means she can do it own her own terms and at her own pace. It does not mean that she’s planning on Little Mix levels of promotion and public appearances. She can easily go down the Zayn route and focus more on music and less on promotion and public appearances.

She has gone on record many times and made an entire documentary about her struggles with mental health, so if anyone is going to try and discredit or invalidate her personal experiences you can just stop typing and leave the thread now :coffee2:

:clap3:

Before I read the thread this has greatly annoyed me as Little Mix and former Jesy Nelson stan. Jesy left Little Mix for many reasons but one of the biggest was her mental health, seeing her make this announcement makes it clear to me that the reason why she was struggling in the band is because she was constantly being compared to her bandmates image wise, style wise and she couldn’t handle that anymore. 

Rather than playing it on mental health which I know full well would have been a huge factor she should actually have said she is leaving the group to work on herself AND solo ventures that would have been more honest. 

No wonder the girls don’t interact with her on social media, they’re probably incredibly hurt that Jesy lied to the fans when she left for solo endeavours which is fine but she should have mentioned that.

:deadbanana2:

Embarrassing. I can't even imagine how Jade, Leighanne and Perrie must be feeling right now.