genera+ion | gay characters | full season out now on HBO Max

The Witch

This is like "We Are Who We Are" but fun. Nathan's mom kinda spilled on ep4 :eli:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• X~MoviePoP

• ryoncé

• Hector

• The Witch

Preston IV

I've been lurking on this forum for years and I can't believe that of all the things I'm passionate about, I'm gonna write my very first post about this show. 

But I love this show. I LOVE IT SO MUCH.

Yes, the writing is sometimes trite and cringe, and just like We Are Who We Are (another fav of mine), there's virtually no plot, just vibes. But I'm genuinely so happy to finally have well-directed shows that center the full lives (and not just the traumatic or melodramatic parts) of not one but several angsty and imperfect queer teens. Also, I was so looking forward to see an openly Black Queer actor lead a teen show where he gets to play a very Queer character, fully transform himself and do the type of character work usually reserved to (white) straight actors.

Spoiler

The last scene of episode 7 FLOORED me. I see Chester in a completely different light now. I've always liked Justice Smith, he's super talented, extremely likeable and cute af (especially since he "came out" and played in that short film called QUERY, whew his hotness, queer energy and the gay agenda JUMPED OUT). However, until now, something about him as Chester felt... off. His performance felt like well... a performance, and not like he fully embodied a charismatic, bold and carefree character.

But after his clash with the guidance counselor, everything clicked in my head... Justice's performance is actually VERY intentional and layered. Chester is not naturally charismatic, bold and carefree. He IS a performer and he acts out because of a desperate need to empower himself, grab people's attention and cope with a trauma that hasn't been properly addressed and taken care of yet.

When Chester lets the mask completely fall apart at the end of episode 7, we see him for who he truly is. A very, VERY troubled, insecure, sad and lonely kid who has a hard time connecting with people. Everyone likes him for who he is at face value but in reality, he's close to no one. He thinks and acts as if he's wise beyond his years but he's very childish and borderline delusional to the point of entirely misreading his relationship with the guidance counselor.

I like all the characters but there's SO MUCH to unpack with Chester, I hope the writers stick the landing with him. And when it comes to Justice Smith, I now fully stan his performance!

Edited by Preston IV
Spoiler
badgirlriri
46 minutes ago, Preston IV said:

I've been lurking on this forum for years and I can't believe that of all the things I'm passionate about, I'm gonna write my very first post about this show. 

But I love this show. I LOVE IT SO MUCH.

Yes, the writing is sometimes trite and cringe, and just like We Are Who We Are (another fav of mine), there's virtually no plot, just vibes. But I'm genuinely so happy to finally have well-directed shows that center the full lives (and not just the traumatic or melodramatic parts) of not one but several angsty and imperfect queer teens. Also, I was so looking forward to see an openly Black Queer actor lead a teen show where he gets to play a very Queer character, fully transform himself and do the type of character work usually reserved to (white) straight actors.

Hide contents

The last scene of episode 7 FLOORED me. I see Chester in a completely different light now. I've always liked Justice Smith, he's super talented, extremely likeable and cute af (especially since he "came out" and played in that short film called QUERY, whew his hotness, queer energy and the gay agenda JUMPED OUT). However, until now, something about him as Chester felt... off. His performance felt like well... a performance, and not like he fully embodied a charismatic, bold and carefree character.

But after his clash with the guidance counselor, everything clicked in my head... Justice's performance is actually VERY intentional and layered. Chester is not naturally charismatic, bold and carefree. He IS a performer and he acts out because of a desperate need to empower himself, grab people's attention and cope with a trauma that hasn't been properly addressed and taken care of yet.

When Chester lets the mask completely fall apart at the end of episode 7, we see him for who he truly is. A very, VERY troubled, insecure, sad and lonely kid who has a hard time connecting with people. Everyone likes him for who he is at face value but in reality, he's close to no one. He thinks and acts as if he's wise beyond his years but he's very childish and borderline delusional to the point of entirely misreading his relationship with the guidance counselor.

I like all the characters but there's SO MUCH to unpack with Chester, I hope the writers stick the landing with him. And when it comes to Justice Smith, I now fully stan his performance!

I'm also really enjoying the way the show just depicts their lives, I think the plot complaints are a bit much - I think we're definitely building up to some important developments, the fallout of Chester/Sam, Greta coming out/standing up to her mom, Nathan's mom having to reconcile his sexuality, etc. 

I could see the complaints with Justice, but it had always felt like there was something intentional about it like you said, and it all finally came together with the last episode. It's interesting cause seeing it from Chester's POV I was getting the impression that am may have liked him as well, but now we see that he was just completely misreading the situation. Whew the look of terror in Sam's face :jonny:

The season finale was the best episode yet :heart2:

Spoiler

The way the Chester & Sam storyline ended right away :skull:

The recess party with You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) playing.  :jonny4:

The way everybody banded together to give the baby away safely for adoption and gave the baby gifts :heart2:

When Nathan revealed his true feelings to Chester in the voicemail :cries:

When Nathan & Naomi both dragged their mother on the phone perfectly :lmao:

Ariana finally providing a moment of depth and proving her character was more than just a shock value troll. I did laugh at her "firefighter is ****ing hot" comment though :ahh: and provided the perfect comic relief for such a serious moment. 

Can't wait for part 2 :duca:

22 minutes ago, Hector said:

The season finale was the best episode yet :heart2:

Reveal hidden contents

The way the Chester & Sam storyline ended right away :skull:

The recess party with You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) playing.  :jonny4:

The way everybody banded together to give the baby away safely for adoption and gave the baby gifts :heart2:

When Nathan revealed his true feelings to Chester in the voicemail :cries:

When Nathan & Naomi both dragged their mother on the phone perfectly :lmao:

Ariana finally providing a moment of depth and proving her character was more than just a shock value troll. I did laugh at her "firefighter is ****ing hot" comment though :ahh: and provided the perfect comic relief for such a serious moment. 

Can't wait for part 2 :duca:

Spoiler

Protect Nathan at all costs :cries::sosad:

I think he will be forever pinning for Chester.

1 hour ago, tiejc said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Protect Nathan at all costs :cries::sosad:

I think he will be forever pinning for Chester.

Spoiler

Yeah,  he's so earnest & adorably awkward while Chester may be too much of a polar opposite for him.  I am definitely shipping them together for part 2 though, Chester's a better match for Nathan than Ariana imo.

Preston IV

Episode 8 was phenomenal. I cried so much. Everything came together so beautifully. Looks like the writers knew what they were doing or at least where they were going

Spoiler

The parallels with the Pilot and most of the previous Chester centric parts... the music... the way I was entirely right about Chester being deeply unwell. This ain't just heartbreak. My baby needs help, ASAP :cries: 

The way his classmates and teammates cheered him up though... The LOVE :jonny:

They set up that love triangle between Chester, Nathan and Bo so quickly lol. I already like Bo but I kinda want Chester to finally see and fall for Nathan. That voicemail was awkward yet so beautiful. I hope the writers don't forget about it. I want Chester to be caught off guard:jonny:

Greta and Riley better get it together. 

Chester singing Savage Remix to the baby as lullaby... A KING WITH TASTE :jonny:

The whole baby plot was great. The last 5 minutes were so bittersweet and Arianna really came through with her words. 

I cannot wait for the remaining 8 episodes!!!!!!!!

josesuxx

Episode 8 was excellent, I didn't expect to end up loving the show as much I do :weeps: I really wish it would've aired when I was a teenager

Just started watching this, on episode 2.

nathan is so hot :WAP:

Take Me Apart

I hope they renew this :clap3:

Spoiler

That scene where they all try to cheer up Chester was so cute :chick3: The characters grew on me so much

The Witch

Amazing season, very emotional finale and they set things up for a S2 whew :WAP:  

Spoiler

I already ship Chester and Bo <3

9 hours ago, kayliah said:

I love the music and the show is ok... not grounbreaking or bingeworthy but fine guess

It is both groundbreaking and bingeworthy! 

OT: June 17 already :duca:

25 minutes ago, Preston IV said:

In a recent interview, the writers said part 2 would focus on SEVERAL love triangles. My gay agenda will prevail :duca:

Can we get some decent nudity too? They need to give us EVERYTHING in part 2.

7 hours ago, Stepfon said:

Can we get some decent nudity too? They need to give us EVERYTHING in part 2.

I hope the writers gave Justice the opportunity to show his ASSets in the second part because the audience is clearly here for it:

That 3-way kiss in Episode 7 was cute but I want to see Justice UNLEASHED:WAP:

Edited by Preston IV

Gotta give props to this thing to entertain me enough to finish it, thanks mostly to the 30 min. episodes.

This was a mess and it was very bad. Despite having diverse characters, the whole thing was plagued of corny clichés. The giant ass character titles. :skull: The sex scenes as if they were adults. :skull: The "we're young and free" car scenes. :skull: The character looking at the mirror being uncomfortable with her body. :skull: This looked like it was written by a millennial based on some random gen Z Twitter timelines merged with other teenage shows.

The WORST though were the performances. :skull: Nathan's mom... from which cheap ass Lifetime movie they took this woman out? 

And Greta... my god. :skull: She had the BEST plot in the show just to be ruined by a girl that couldn't even fake a smile or a sad face? The way any actor in La Rosa de Guadalupe would easily make a much better job than her is really telling. In the end, I felt extremely bad for that girl. A whole embarrassment.

Anyways, for the good side, Nathan was the best character (not the best plot, though). And I liked Riley as well, she was very refreshing.

The rest can rot. Although Chester's plot was the second best. That last scene when

Spoiler

he starts to creep out poor Sam. Like... hope teenage stan Twitter obsessing over adults see that. And the ending was good.

I would've loved though to see more messy scenes from Nathan-Jack-Naomi. It was really cliché plot but that's the messy things we love to see from this kind of series.

And I don't think Chester and Nathan would work. They are opposites. 

Finally, can't believe some of them are actually 24-25. :skull: A reverse Netflix teenage series experience.