The Disappearance of Elisa Lam | Netflix Crime Documenter

Superbitch

Ive read so much About this case before that I didn’t see nothing New but I agree with the “outcome” or what They think happened. Mrs Lam clearly wasn’t well and I do believe that she wasn’t taking her meds. I think most theories are reaching with no Arms. Sure there’s a couple of sketchy things but I do believe their explanation. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• X~MoviePoP

• ReverseWarholian

• its_britney_bitch

• Skins

ozlovezashlee

Tell me why I think I was duped into staying at "Stay on Main." :bibliahh:

That botoxed blonde lady was a business WOMAN!

Edited by ozlovezashlee
Oktober Knight

I've known about this case for years but didn't realize they made a series about it. I just watched this last night. 

While I knew she had mental issues and likely died after not taking her meds, there are still some things that don't add up, such as the shoe/other person outside the elevator that we can barely see. Who was that? It clearly wasn't her foot. And the edited footage - the way NO ONE knows who or why the footage was edited before it was uploaded online is crazy suspicious. I get that the speed was altered to make it easier to capture clues, but why blur out the time stamp and cut 53 seconds out of the feed? 

Just finished this and the Dark Water parallel had me screaming, Elisa must watch the movie and had the ideal of jumping into a watertank on top of the hotel in her head and in her manic episode breakdown, she did it.

Dula Peep

water death GIF

I'm still blown away how they talked about having ex criminals/people off of skid row staying there month to month and they don't have security cameras at least in the hall of every floor :biblio: :ryan2:

Miss Show Business

Ugh. Do we really need a documentary on this?

This girl was likely suffering from a psychotic break, and climbed into the water tank herself. The end. Let's stop exploiting people suffering from mental illness with false conspiracy theories. (Edit: unless of course this actually debunks all of the conspiracies and does her story justice.)

Edited by Miss Show Business
X~MoviePoP
3 hours ago, Dula Peep said:

water death GIF

I'm still blown away how they talked about having ex criminals/people off of skid row staying there month to month and they don't have security cameras at least in the hall of every floor :biblio: :ryan2:

ReverseWarholian
3 hours ago, Dula Peep said:

water death GIF

Right? What a mess.

g0zpX9s.gif

1 hour ago, Miss Show Business said:

Ugh. Do we really need a documentary on this?

This girl was likely suffering from a psychotic break, and climbed into the water tank herself. The end. Let's stop exploiting people suffering from mental illness with false conspiracy theories. (Edit: unless of course this actually debunks all of the conspiracies and does her story justice.)

This is basically how I feel. I had to stop watching in after the introduction when they were saying all the "iTs A nEgAtIvE eNeRgY tHaT dRoVe HeR tO this!!" BS.

This was not well done on Netflix’s end. The way the documentary just kept panning to different clips of YouTubers explaining the case ..... like :deadbanana4:

The water vault door being shut / the edited and blurred footage still has yet to be explained. I’ve always thought it was more than just her having a ‘psychotic break’.

On 2/12/2021 at 6:28 AM, its_britney_bitch said:

This irritates me, it feels like damage control from the hotel. Even the title focusing on the Cecil Hotel, the Elisa Lam case is well known, I didn't instantly recognise it from the advertising. Her being mentally ill doesn't automatically make it suicide, this case is just too weird. Why would they doctor the footage at all if they had nothing to hide? I haven't finished yet but if it was the hotel, why didn't that ring alarm bells with the police, and if it was the police... why would they tamper with evidence? The Lam-Elisa thing is weird as ****. I knew Netflix would disparage anything that points to it not being suicide as a "debunked conspiracy". And I don't like how they're painting my girl Stephanie Harlowe out to be a QAnon tin foil hat nut job, I hope they compensated these YouTubers well. True crime YouTubers are much more balanced in their presentation, this documentary skews heavily in favour of the hotel. Although that blonde manager woman just made me even more suspicious :rip:

I really don't buy that she was experimenting with drugs. I just can't see a 21 year old Tumblr-blogging Harry Potter fangirl going out and buying crack on Skid Row :rip: They're claiming that with no evidence.

I do feel sorry for that metal guy but his incredulity at being accused... whether it's art or not if you portray yourself as a murderer you shouldn't be surprised when you are accused of being one, considering the circumstances :rip: I feel like the shocked Pokemon meme would be appropriate here :rip: Why is he shocked about his snuff tape music videos being removed from YouTube? I needed to sign in to watch the Not Myself Tonight video earlier, I would HOPE a murder fantasy would be the same :rip:

I feel the same way. The documentary was extremely biased towards the hotel.

Toxicity.
3 minutes ago, Skins said:

This was not well done on Netflix’s end. The way the documentary just kept panning to different clips of YouTubers explaining the case ..... like :deadbanana4:

The water vault door being shut / the edited and blurred footage still has yet to be explained. I’ve always thought it was more than just her having a ‘psychotic break’.

The tank door wasn’t shut. The man who found her said it was open. That was miscommunication on the police’s part saying they found it closed. 

Toxicity.

Very sad documentary. I could’ve done without half of it being YouTubers :biblio: 

Yeah it seems off but I think it was obvious to me this was a tragic mental health episode and Elisa just truly did not know what she was getting into by going on this trip by herself. 

also the family not being in this kinda makes me think it was exploitive on Netflix’s part, they probably just want to let their daughter rest in piece. 

ReverseWarholian
5 minutes ago, Skins said:

Bingo. I read somewhere that the hotel underwent an extensive 4-year renovation project starting in 2017 and finishing sometime this year. This feels like promo to attract dark tourism. 

ReverseWarholian
Just now, Skins said:

The British couple featured in this doc was giving Dumb and Dumber

🤣🤣🤣🤣

rihannabiggestfan

:monkey: Elisa deserved better

I don't want to watch a documentary that's "extremely biased towards" that tragic haunted hotel (I'd rather stay literally anywhere else), so I may pass on watching this

Edited by rihannabiggestfan
2 hours ago, Skins said:

girl elisa has mental problems, stopped taking her meds and acting out and ended up dying in the water tank. the sister already said the hallucinations happened before

ReverseWarholian

Omg at the Dark Water movie coincidence though. I never knew that! I'm usually not one to indulge in conspiracy theories but that part had me kinda shook. Even the girl in the movie is named Cecilia :chick2:

Edited by ReverseWarholian
its_britney_bitch
4 hours ago, ReverseWarholian said:

Bingo. I read somewhere that the hotel underwent an extensive 4-year renovation project starting in 2017 and finishing sometime this year. This feels like promo to attract dark tourism. 

Yeah, and seeing that Ghost Adventures did an episode on the Cecil Hotel last month... very suspicious.

Does anybody else notice the hypocrisy of Netflix criticising YouTubers for sensationalising and capitalising on her death when they’re doing the exact same thing?

alfonso12
12 hours ago, Skins said:

That was so messy. That YouTube girl with brown/red hair basically narrated a quarter of the documentary. :rip: 

jacklovesyou1
12 hours ago, Skins said:

The British couple featured in this doc was giving Dumb and Dumber

Was she british i know he was .. her accent wasn't british was it? 

sunmimi imfurst

I thought this was quite bad lol. Mostly due to the youtube centric narrative/production they drove. How many minutes of this doco was about youtubers conspiracies? The third episode was so ****ing hard to get through lol. While it was slightly interesting for a bit, they really stretched this out and it could of been one or two episodes. 

In the end it became about youtubers/conspiracy theories rather than Elisa Lam. Which is still topical in this climate but not what I wanted to watch lol.