Megan, SZA, Normani; What’s next?

Mercurio

Almost a year after these three incredible ladies covered Rolling Stone Magazine, let’s recap on their progress since this cover.

R1337_COV_Women.jpg

SZA

2020 started hopeful for SZA, she had a cute little radio hit with Justin Timberlake for their song "The Other Side". The song went Top 40 on five different Billboard Charts, but it shortly left the charts as COVID picked up. She performed in a few COVID relief livestreams and was actively teasing music up till September when she dropped "Hit Different", which didn’t do well on the charts. Then comes "Good Days", which right now has been racking up amazing streaming numbers and chart peaks for SZA. It's looking promising. 

Megan

I think it’s fair to say, Megan truly had the most successful 2020, out of these three.
She now has 2 #1 hits to her name; Savage (remix) featuring Beyoncé & "WAP" where she was the featured artist on Cardi B’s smash hit.
Both songs have become global hits and cultural phenomenons, "Savage (remix)" is even nominated for 3 Grammys. Megan released her debut album in November and Time magazine named her as one of the most influential people of 2020.

Normani

Surprisingly, Normani did not release any solo material, last year. At the start of 2020, Normani collaborated with Megan on soundtrack single for the film Bird of Prey, but the song failed to chart globally. For the rest of the year, Normani was interviewed by a couple magazines and hinted towards new music coming soon. She also made a cameo in "WAP" and became the face of Rihanna’s Savage X Fenty lingerie line.

So what’s next for these talented artists? And will their upcoming projects be as prosperous or even more successful? 

Thinking Of You

SZA will find a lot of critical acclaim and success with this next album. Megan will pick up a few GRAMMYs at this year’s ceremony. Normani? Probably nothing again...

rly hate that normani is being mismanaged....literally everyone put out a LITTLE bit of music last year....its rly dumb that she didn't at least drop a single.

chaneloberlin

EDIT: i hope all three girls will continue to find successes. 

stream freaky girls and diamonds.

welp i can see this turning into a megan hate thread, like we don't already have enough of those

chaneloberlin

Edited by chaneloberlin
Pink Matter

Megan is starting to notch solo hits of her own and SZA is looking to pull the biggest hit of her career thus far. I can see Meg getting a few Grammy's this year and I imagine SZA will get a bunch next year. Normani, however, is being far too quiet. It'll be two years come this August since she dropped Motivation and we still have no word on an album or even upcoming single :rip: I do think she still has hype but people can only wait so long for someone with such a small discography to release new music.

6 minutes ago, Superbitch said:

Sza and Megan will continue slaying for sure. Normani in photoshoots

I swear, if I see one more magazine and she’s not announcing any music :priceless: I don’t know how much longer I can wait tbh. 

7 minutes ago, Thinking Of You said:

SZA will find a lot of critical acclaim and success with this next album. Megan will pick up a few GRAMMYs at this year’s ceremony. Normani? Probably nothing again...

This seems probable. SZA will definitely follow up her recent success with even more throughout the year. And she has new management so I expect things to only progress here onwards. 

FloridaKilos

Good News was actually not that much of a success, and it wouldn't have done that well on the charts if Savage remix wasn't carrying it. Also, the WAP hype didn't really help her. She's lowkey fading into obscurity. :celestial5: But that's just my opinion. Her debut album isn't doing what it should be doing all hype she's built for the last 3 years considered.

OnikaSlays

SZA will re-peak this era if she’s able to retain the momentum from Good Days. She’s already secured another hit I think with Bloodstain(?) once it drops thanks to tik tok.

I don’t see Megan going anywhere soon, but she’s gonna have to switch it up or else people will get start getting bored of her. Good News somewhat feels like the start of her decline.

Normani just needs to release :skull: but sadly, I feel like she’ll have to work even harder now to truly breakout as a solo artist since too much time has passed since Motivation/LL/DWAS/SWT.

Edited by OnikaSlays
Sweet Sexy Savage

Let’s just celebrate these black women we have instead of tearing them down no? :clap3:

11 minutes ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

Let’s just celebrate these black women we have instead of tearing them down no? :clap3:

I’m not tearing them down. In fact I don’t think we talk about them enough so I thought it’d be a good thing to recap on their careers in the past year. I support, each one of them :eli:

SZA is only going to get bigger, R&B is coming back hard! Can't wait for her collab with Doja.

Megan is just growing more and more, she seems to be able to score hits easier and easier.

I hope Normani releases some solo stuff soon, "she's that bitch" as Nicki said.

Sweet Sexy Savage
18 minutes ago, Mercurio said:

I’m not tearing them down. In fact I don’t think we talk about them enough so I thought it’d be a good thing to recap on their careers in the past year. I support, each one of them :eli:

You do know on this private forum, no one really cares about black women in music compared to the other girls. Lots of shadiness going on :michael:

4 minutes ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

You do know on this private forum, no one really cares about black women in music compared to the other girls. Lots of shadiness going on :michael:

True, but if we get the conversations started and continue to report on black female artists that are doing well either in mainstream, sooner or later the fire will catch on. Hip-Hop is getting bigger and R&B is returning to the mainstream, there’s hope. 

SZA is getting bigger and better. She’s going to excel this year for sure.

Edited by Revel

Doja is basically having the career and performances everyone thought Normani would be having. 

yamiyuuuu

I still don't understand why they put SZA with them. She already had a 2xPlatinum album when this cover came out. 

professor2000

28 minutes ago, Arcadius said:

Doja is basically having the career and performances everyone thought Normani would be having. 

Yeah, I kinda feel like she would’ve been a better fit.  

But I guess RCA didn’t think she was going to blow up like she did at that point. “Say So” was just starting to take off when this cover was secured.  “Motivation” had already made a splash right before this cover.  

UnanimousBB16

How is "Body" performing? It just seems like a modest hit, like how the original "Savage" performed.

SZA is doing well, and a new era is probably starting. "Good Days" is also charting well overseas, which is a very good sign.

The 4H women are suffering from the same issues, so they will continue to have nothing.

Dolce Vita

SZA and Meg will continue to do well. as for Normani, it's clear label intervention is the reason why we haven't had new solo music from her in almost TWO years (:rip:) so we're gonna have to see if they will continue to mismanage her this year or if she'll come through