Adele's "Someone Like You" turns 10

Adele - Someone Like You.png

Released as the 2nd single of the biggest selling album of the 21st century 21, the song received universal acclaim for its heartfelt lyrics, simple melody and Adele's vocals. It won a Grammy for Best Pop Solo. 

Writing Process

"Well, I wrote that song because I was exhausted from being such a b****, with 'Rolling in the Deep' or 'Rumour Has It' ... I was really emotionally drained from the way I was portraying him, because even though I'm very bitter and regret some parts of it, he's still the most important person that's ever been in my life, and 'Someone like You,' I had to write it to feel OK with myself and OK with the two years I spent with him. And when I did it, I felt so freed."

"When I was writing it I was feeling pretty miserable and pretty lonely, which I guess kind of contradicts 'Rolling in the Deep'. Whereas that was about me saying, 'I'm going to be fine without you', this is me on my knees really."

"I can imagine being about 40 and looking for him again, only to turn up and find that he's settled with a beautiful wife and beautiful kids and he's completely happy... and I'm still on my own. The song's about that and I'm scared at the thought of that."

"We were so intense I thought we would get married. But that was something he never wanted... So when I found out he does want that with someone else, it was just the horrible-est feeling ever. But after I wrote it, I felt more at peace. It set me free... I didn't think it would resonate... with the world! I'm never gonna write a song like that again. I think that's the song I'll be known for."

Chart Performance

It was a global smash, reaching #1 in 20+ countries including Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Scotland, Spain, Switzerland, UK and the USA, and top 3 in an additional 10 countries including Canada, Austria, Flanders, Denmark, Israel, Netherlands, Romania and Sweden. 

In the USA, it erupted 19-1 on the Hot 100 after she performed the single at the MTV Music Video Awards, selling 275k downloads that week. The song broke the record for largest jump to #1 that was not spurred by the digital/physical release of a single, and the first piano/voice only ballad to top the Hot 100.  It topped the Hot 100 for 5 weeks, dethroning Moves Like Jagger before being dethroned by We Found Love, and charted for 39 weeks. It ranked #38 on the 2010s Hot 100 Decade Chart, and #144 on the All-Time Chart.   

It currently has 938M+ streams on Spotify (the most streamed single of 21), and 1.6 Billion YouTube Views. 

sometimes it lasts in love | Tumblr on We Heart It

someone like you gifs | WiffleGif

Edited by naval23

talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before, unafraid to reference or not reference, put it in a blender, **** on it, vomit on it, eat it, give birth to it

Rondouillard

I still remember watching a LQ video of her performing it live for the first time and crying at my desk and over my study notes because I had never felt that way. She made me feel so much 

giphy.gif

rihannabiggestfan

I love how she made the chorus lyric sound like both "Never mind, I'll find someone like you" AND "Never might I find someone like you" - double meaning despite sounding almost identical.

30 minutes ago, Rodrighost said:

legendary song, and the way she performs it :jonny4:

I love the way she sings "Don't forget me, I beg. "I'll remember," you say" in a lower pitch live :clap3: very hefty and powerful

• 2 weeks later...
Miss Show Business

Probably amongst my favorite songs ever written. A perfect song. :'(:clap3: