Worst songwriter of the pop girls?

Beyonnaise

A producer/composer who worked with Taylor recounts Swift asking them to simplify their work. I think Taylor prefers a stripped down approach to making music. 

This doesn’t make her bad, it’s just her signature sound. 

Edited by éclat
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MissedTheTrain

• Alexz

• ariananext

• Marry Illusion Glory

Both Sides Now

I can’t comment on some artists because it’s never clear how much they actually write. We have plenty of artists who sometimes “change a word, get a third”. 

Of the artists I know write most of their lyrics, the worst has to be the “your words are like Chinese water torture” songstress. Unfortunately. Her lyrical ideas are nearly always really basic and dull. 

Anyone say Taylor is just... :rip: Drag her for her dancing, voice, whatever but her songwriting is clearly excellent and acclaimed. 

CandleGuy

The OTHs exposing themselves like this :deadbanana4: Taylor is unanimously considered one of the great songwriters of our time. If she's not your thing that's fine sistrens but don't embarass yourselves speaking her name in a WORST SONGWRITER thread :ahh:

OT: Katy and Demi have written some of the most cringeworthy lyrics I've ever heard. 

I mean some of them only do minimal writing. Do we know the amount of writing by Ari, Rihanna, Bey and many others?

Katy's writing has dramatically declined. Back in the day she had great lyricism but Witness was a downgrade although many songs on Smile were better written. 

17 minutes ago, éclat said:

A producer/composer who worked with Taylor recounts Swift asking them to simplify their work. I think Taylor prefers a stripped down approach to making music. 

This doesn’t make her bad, it’s just her signature sound. 

Are you talking about Imogen Heap? Because Taylor didn’t ask her to simplify her work, they were trying to find out a bridge for Clean and Taylor just didn’t like an idea Imogen had for it that was left-of-center.

People saying Taylor please. Even self titled has better lyricism than most of our faves combined.  Taylor has a knack for writing and that's an undeniable fact.

2 minutes ago, Headlock said:

Are you talking about Imogen Heap? Because Taylor didn’t ask her to simplify her work, they were trying to find out a bridge for Clean and Taylor just didn’t like an idea Imogen had for it that was left-of-center.

Yes, but that’s not how she described it. 

Camila Cabello's songwriting in "Romance" was absolutely cringe and seemed very disingenuous. Literally go on Genius and see for yourself. 

G.U.Y_Del_Rey

Katy Perry. Chinese water torture :skull:

Rihanna and Beyonce don't even write so they kinda don't count.

Eughmmmm you don't know Ari like that :rip: she was actually 18 

Lol dummy

You are so out of the loop. Everyone who knows ARI knows she was only a child up until her label told her not to be :rip: ummmm lol yuh.

ariananext
9 minutes ago, Insanity said:

I mean some of them only do minimal writing. Do we know the amount of writing by Ari, Rihanna, Bey and many others?

Just Like Magic - lyrics and melodies by Ariana Grande and Priscilla Renea

Off The Table - lyrics and melodies by Ariana Grande and Abel Tesfaye

Six Thirty - lyrics and melodies by Ariana Grande and Priscilla Renea 

Safety Net - lyrics and melodies by Ariana Grande, Leon Thomas III, T Griffin Jr

Nasty - lyrics and melodies by Ariana Grande and Victoria Monet

West Side - lyrics and melodies by Ariana Grande and Victoria Monet

pov - lyrics and melodies by Ariana Grande and Tayla Parx

bestfiction

tbh most of our popgirls barely write but out of those who do, it's probably Katy. so many cringeworthy lines :deadbanana4:

1 hour ago, Miichael said:

Not the Songwriter's Hall of Fame inductee and Contemporary Icon winner :rip:

Lady-Gaga.png

She was not inducted in the Songwriters hall of fame though 

ot: if this was lyrics only I would say gaga . But songwriting in general I will say Britney , her written songs are not that good 

16 minutes ago, ariananext said:

Just Like Magic - lyrics and melodies by Ariana Grande and Priscilla Renea

Off The Table - lyrics and melodies by Ariana Grande and Abel Tesfaye

Six Thirty - lyrics and melodies by Ariana Grande and Priscilla Renea 

Safety Net - lyrics and melodies by Ariana Grande, Leon Thomas III, T Griffin Jr

Nasty - lyrics and melodies by Ariana Grande and Victoria Monet

West Side - lyrics and melodies by Ariana Grande and Victoria Monet

pov - lyrics and melodies by Ariana Grande and Tayla Parx

oh wow well slay

Johnny Cash

Gaga. Her lyrics are cringy and her style is extremely limited.

At least she writes tho

2 hours ago, Miss Americana said:

Gurl you need to learn something before posting these ignorant claims...

SONGWRITING = LYRICS + COMPOSITION

Ariana only contributes to the lyrics and that's why she has 10 credits because she HAD to credit every one who came up with the melody...

Writing competent lyrics isn't hard...coming up with catchy melodies >>>>>

To be a competent songwriter you have to be a good lyricist and a composer too...

That's why popgirls struggle to write songs.

Taylor is regarded as a great songwriter because most of her **** is self-written(meaning she came up with EVERYTHING HERSELF including the chords and melodies)

And even for her "cowritten" **** she came up with the melody and lyrics on her own before showing it to the producers...

See...BLANK SPACE

"This was me playing it for Max and Johan for the first time"

Versus

Here the team of composers(producers who came up with the chords and the beats) and the group of lyricists were in different room and ofcourse she had to credit everyone...It's illegal to not credit someone for their creative work

this meltdown... :rip:

3 hours ago, Fender said:

having a bad song doesn’t mean she’s a bad writer :noparty: every artist has bad songs but most of them don’t leak

HonourableVomit
3 hours ago, Earth Ripper said:

The Fun Tonight chanteuse.

It's funny you mention Fun Tonight because it's an exceptionally written song that is let down by terrible production and completely incompatible instrumentation. 

Katy it's the worst, she became cringey, with a lot of metaphors that try too hard to sound unique but fails completely, I know it's her style but it even lacks a lot of quality. For example Kesha has a very cocky/cringey lyric style but it works bc she doesn't try hard to sound deep or cool. But I guess at least Katy writes, not everyone can do that and she is a genius for hooks and catchiness and have some good written songs in her debut plus Wide Awake, TOTGA, TD, CG, NLTM, LL, WOA, HIH, Daises and NRO

3 hours ago, Bhabylon said:

Katy and Demi

Not when Demi can write this 

Ps: save your "thanks for proving my point"