Worst songwriter of the pop girls?

Beyonnaise

Beyonnaise

Camila is a really bad writer. You can tell she thinks her lines about “tasting” someone and “demons” and “scars” are so deep but they just sound like dumb amateur Tumblr poetry.

I think Katy’s problem is that her style just feels clunky now. She was good at writing very hooky, tongue-in-cheek songs in the 2000s (Hot N Cold, Waking Up in Vegas, I Do Not Hook Up), but she hasn’t figured out a compelling way to evolve from that. She’s objectively gotten worse at ballads, the ones on Witness and Smile have nothing on Thinking of You.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MissedTheTrain

• Alexz

• ariananext

• Marry Illusion Glory

Taylor is an overwhelmingly overrated writer. Too many of her songs serve one melody choruses, her constant use of “you’re like a , we were like a,” schemes are used waaaayyyyyy too much. Overall, just extremely weak and bland melodies and lyrics as well

BadHabits

I think Folklore is pretty good but it's overrated and over-hyped. Her melodies are very simple and not complex imo. I feel like some of her melodies are re-used from previous albums. 

I love her but Ariana Grande. She can sing circles around all the other pop girls but her recent lyrics are so juvenile

Miss Americana
16 minutes ago, IAMDOM said:

Taylor is an overwhelmingly overrated writer. Too many of her songs serve one melody choruses, her constant use of “you’re like a , we were like a,” schemes are used waaaayyyyyy too much. Overall, just extremely weak and bland melodies and lyrics as well

It's called simile and metaphors...

They are an extremely effective tool in poetry to evoke deep feelings.

Most of the songs in evermore are in unusual time signatures so she possibly cannot do one note melodies like she used to do in 1989...

She is constantly evolving...

Maybe you should turn your critical eye towards your own fave who has been getting worser instead of coming for constantly evolving acclaimed songwriters...

Edited by Miss Americana
queenoftheclouds
5 minutes ago, jaceface said:

I love her but Ariana Grande. She can sing circles around all the other pop girls but her recent lyrics are so juvenile

Off The Table is a great song she wrote only with The Weeknd. I agree that her sex theme is a little over used now.

ariananext
5 minutes ago, jaceface said:

she wrote her best written song Off The Table alone (with Abel writing his own verses) :gaygacat2:if you go by wikipedia or her fun hits of course you wouldn't know much about her songwriting tho. 

1 minute ago, queenoftheclouds said:

Off The Table is a great song she wrote only with The Weeknd. I agree that her sex theme is a little over used now.

Just now, ariananext said:

she wrote her best written song Off The Table alone (with Abel writing his own verses) :gaygacat2:if you go by wikipedia or her fun hits of course you wouldn't know much about her songwriting tho. 

Yeah I like off the table a lot. It's one of my faves off positions. I'm talking about the album as a whole tho. Not just that one song

But I'm not taking away from her talent. She's a ridiculously talented singer but she's okay at songwriting

18 minutes ago, IAMDOM said:

chile didn't I clock you the last time you came with such a blatantly false, lunatic and fabricated statement? You still have the nerve to come over here and repeat the same point again thinking you did anything? :ahh: 

I agree about Camila - her lyrics come across as 2014 Tumblr poetry/a wannabe Taylor

Digitalism

Imagine comming for Taylor when she is one of the only ones with a recognizable writing style 

Adele is ok for a popstar 

Lana is probably the best ( of course she has some bad ones tho)

Katy is too childish 

Gaga plays safe with ballads and with pop gets cringy

Bey and Rih only write like one line in each song 

1 minute ago, Digitalism said:

Bey only write like one line in each song 

False. :coffee2:

Marry Illusion Glory

Imagine saying Gaga when she has been recognized for her songwriting skills by the most prestigious body of songwriters, the Songwriters Hall of Fame with an inaugural award and literally has an Oscar for Best Original Song. Truly worms for brains :rip:

OT: Katy, Britney.

Edited by Marry Illusion Glory
Navy4Life
43 minutes ago, IAMDOM said:

40 minutes ago, BadHabits said:

I think Folklore is pretty good but it's overrated and over-hyped. Her melodies are very simple and not complex imo. I feel like some of her melodies are re-used from previous albums. 

24 minutes ago, ExhaleShoop said:

Beyoncé and Taylor for sure

19 minutes ago, Petty Bourgeoisie said:

Taylor and Ariana are pretty boring.

What are y’all saying Taylor on? :rip: 

You could fault her for dancing or vocals (although I enjoy her voice) but writing is just not it. Not when her last two albums alone run circles around all the MPGs combined.