What's YOUR standard for album lengths?

dangerousalex

How many songs?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. How many songs minimum should an ALBUM have?

• 7 Songs
    • 8 Songs
    • 9 Songs
    • 10 Songs
    • 11+ Songs
  2. 2. How many songs MAXIMUM should an EP have?

• 4 songs
    • 5-6 songs
    • 7-8 songs
    • 9-10 songs

dangerousalex

The music industry present day has clearly been slowly stepping over the line between what counts as an "album" and an "EP". 

According to Apple Music, any body of work 7 songs and greater automatically is sorted into the "Albums" category, however I still think that's an EP.

Usually an EP used to consist of three to four songs but has since been stretched in some cases to include usually six to nine tracks. The most recent example that comes to mind is Jazmine Sullivan's Heaux Tales which has 14 songs in total with an interlude between each tracks (so eight whole songs). However despite the amount of total "tracks", the project is still considered an EP.

SO, the question I want to ask is, what is your standard for an album's length, and how long should an EP be before crossing into album territory?

12-15 is perfect for an album imo. anything less that's labelled as an album better have no skips 

As for EPs, I think anything less than 9 tracks should be considered as such 

GreatestLoveofAll

11-13 tracks for an album should be the standard, tho albums with 10 tend to be just the right length and great to listen to. The length of the album should be taken into consideration as well.

For EPs 5-6 sounds good, leaning more towards 5. 

TheFameMonster

EPs should be 6-8, depending on how many singles came out before the album.

Albums at least 11.

KillingYourCareer

Between 10 and 13 tracks, average length per track of 3:40-4:00. I don't mind albums with up to 16 tracks, though. An EP has 6-7 songs usually, I prefer albums though.

Edited by KillingYourCareer

I mean it depends on the actual length for me. I hate studio albums that run much longer than an hour, there are a few exceptions though. Ideally it's between 45 mins and an hour. For EPs 15 mins to 30 mins is what I'd say my standard is.

I'm kinda old school when it comes to album lengths. 11-12 tracks for standard album, with an additional 3-4 tracks for a deluxe. Play length about 40-55 minutes is ideal for me. Anything over an hour tends to drag for me even if it's all good.

For EPs, 6-8 tracks is ideal. I'm okay with anything down to 4, but anything over 8 is too much to be considered an EP for me. 30-40 minutes is the ideal play length.

:celestial5:

6 minutes ago, 4Real said:

Album: 10-11 tracks

EP: 5-6 tracks

As a Taylor stan, I suffer.

I feel your pain. That girl doesn't know when to stop. Luckily her last two albums don't have any fillers. All the previous ones suffer from too many unnecessary songs. 

--

For me for an album: 8-10 songs max and ideally under 40 mins. 

EPs it's whatever. Don't care at all. 

Just now, Brando said:

I feel your pain. That girl doesn't know when to stop. Luckily her last two albums don't have any fillers. All the previous ones suffer from too many unnecessary songs. 

--

For me for an album: 8-10 songs max and ideally under 40 mins. 

EPs it's whatever. Don't care at all. 

coney island says hi!

I've come to peace with the fact that she will never make a short album. I'm hoping she comes back to 13 like she did with Fearless and 1989 tho.

1 minute ago, 4Real said:

coney island says hi!

I've come to peace with the fact that she will never make a short album. I'm hoping she comes back to 13 like she did with Fearless and 1989 tho.

i'm sure a lot of people would disagree on that. 

ariananext

for albums, from 11 songs on but not more than 14 (deluxe included, interludes and intro excluded). long albums are tacky, unnecessary and often full of fillers. I hate when I wanna listen to one album and I see something like 17/18 tracks like girl.. 

Cruel Summer

Albums should be a bare minimum of 11 songs most of the time, given how short songs are on average these days, and longer is better. I prefer to hear all of what an artist has to say and I don't really consider anything to automatically have filler just because it's long. 8 songs and below should be considered an extended play, but with the occasional exception - honestly, I think the total run time of the project is a far better guideline for classification. If you're only going to take up a half hour of my time, then it's an extended play. If it's 45 minutes, an hour, or more, then I'd say it's an album even if that time is taken up by just a few long pieces.

ninasayers

10 songs for an album is fine, i guess (although i do enjoy longer albums as well)

an EP with 5 or 6 songs sounds ideal, and a project with 8 songs is already an album imo

Chainsmoker

If an album has less than ten tracks then it better be pretty damn good. But 10-16 is ideal for me. 

EP’s should be 5-7.

Edited by Chainsmoker
Pink Matter

10 tracks minimum for an album (preferably longer than 3 minutes). My ideal track length time would be anywhere from 40-49 mins. That's the sweet spot :duck: 

12 is perfect.

10 makes me feel like I was shorted, especially if there were a few years between it and the last album.

11 is ugly to me.

Any album over an hour is just :rip: Unless it's a deluxe there's no reason to have that many tracks.