(OPINION) Artists who feel bigger/smaller than their stats?

MingYouToo

MingYouToo

This is a subjective thread, so in your day to day experience.

BIGGER: Dua Lipa, especially in Asia. For all her relatively lacking Asian power, esp in SEA, she's truly a mainstream public figure in my experience. She's always posted in big Facebook pages featuring famous women across the world (bc most Filipinos are obsessed with popular beautiful white women :rip:) All the folks like and share her posts, some even make the excuse of posting Levitating but only with the DaBaby remix bc of its str8 appeal :deadbanana2: The gays here LIVE for Future Nostalgia and still share those stupid New Rules pool dance remakes :toofunny2:

BIGGER: Kendrick Lamar. Yes he has amazing stats but when compared to Drake/Post Malone, he pales. Though forreal bro his name ALWAYS gets thrown in when I go to malls, parties and people start complaining about 'too much Post Malone (white un-excellence)', the entire DAMN. album is always a staple when we go to parties/club, more than any Drake/Post song. HUMBLE. alone is lowkey bigger than any Drake song imo ('sit down, be humble'>>>). HUMBLE, LOVE. and Backseat Freestyle are his trinity.

SMALLER: Rihanna. When talking about R&B/hiphop-popstars, if anything, the name that comes up the most to me was always Kehlani (esp SweetSexySavage), Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé. She's very big don't get me wrong, but her stats make her out to be this omnipotent almost Beyoncé-level type of artist but I guess I never really felt that. Thought I grew up more in a time when Rihanna was known more for her fairy bombs than her single bombs on the Hot 100. The ANTi era was pretty much a nonevent for me (Views and DAMN. were kinda the era that overshadowed ANTi in 2016/2017 imo). That being said, TIWYCF was truly a megasmash. I only really got into LOUD mainly because I'm an avid gamer and Only Girl in the World was constantly on GTAs pop radio :rip: Also I'm not European so I don't really have a grasp on how big she is there.

SMALLER: Drake. Yes, King of Streaming. King of Pop atm. All the titles, biggest artist in the United States, possibly Top 5 all time in the near future. But really the only time I really felt his hold on the cultural zeitgeist was with In My Feelings and God's Plan (NFW was just pop radio fodder lol). One Dance was everywhere on radio but it felt almost like it was just the big wave in the sea of Zedd, Alessia Cara, Maren Morris tropical pop-dancehall-EDM type of songs. Too Good with Rihanna was kinda the hit that felt relevant to me and my peers imo.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MingYouToo

• Godly

• Insanity

• Comedor

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Beyonce. Seems huge but when you go down into detail the numbers arent that impressive

Billie’s success is pretty underrated. Especially her longevity. You will see stans dragging her when she releases a single, but then after a year, Billie’s single managed to get more streams than the song they compared :rip:

I often see the name Janice Jackson in this board, people calling her a legend along with Whitney and Mariah, but I have never heard of her outside of ATRL. :skull:

• #FreeBritney Activist
45 minutes ago, MingYouToo said:

HUMBLE, LOVE. and Backseat Freestyle are his trinity.

Trinity in terms of what? If you're talking about his best songs then gurl :rip:

• #FreeBritney Activist
Just now, Comedor said:

I often see the name Janice Jackson in this board, people calling her a legend along with Whitney and Mariah, but I have never heard of her outside of ATRL. :skull:

That sounds like a you problem. Your ignorance =/= reality.

I was with you for Dua and Kendrick but Rihanna and Drake?

What circles are you in where Kehlani and Nicki Minaj feel bigger than RIHANNA? :skull: 

3 minutes ago, Aqua said:

That sounds like a you problem. Your ignorance =/= reality.

Not really because lots of people in here feel the same. Maybe she is one of those one hit wonder local legends.

Bigger: J.Lo, Selena G.

Smaller: Camila, Dua, Sia, Halsey, Charlie Puth

Edited by Godly

Smaller: Dua. She has huge streaming stats but people barely talk about her

Bigger: Rita Ora & Nicole Scherzinger. The exact opposite of Dua

I dunno how you can think of Kehlani over Rihanna when you think of rnb POP stars. That makes zero sense unless you're talking about the face of the rnb genres of today not overall. But yeah I feel that her stats very much align with how big she is.

I do agree that she doesn't have the pull that Beyoncé has but that's largely because of Beyoncé being the full package artist checking every single box there is. Regardless they're both at the very apex of celebrities, doesn't get any bigger than that really.

MingYouToo
18 minutes ago, Aqua said:

Trinity in terms of what? If you're talking about his best songs then gurl :rip:

trinity in terms of the songs people know. HUMBLE mainly for the sit down phrase, LOVE. mainly for Zacari's chorus and Backseat Freestyle for the whole 'goddamn I feel amazing' verse.

4 minutes ago, Sept said:

Rita Ora?! :deadbanana:

theintriguingone

Somehow Frank Ocean feels bigger than his stats. The way i see soooo many people praise him and his music constantly on social media, but his stats don’t really reflect that he’s *that* popular :/

22 minutes ago, Comedor said:

Not really because lots of people in here feel the same. Maybe she is one of those one hit wonder local legends.

Not you calling Janet a one hit wonder. :deadbanana4:

15 minutes ago, Sept said:

Except no one know rita  or Nicole in real life 

6 minutes ago, theintriguingone said:

Somehow Frank Ocean feels bigger than his stats. The way i see soooo many people praise him and his music constantly on social media, but his stats don’t really reflect that he’s *that* popular :/

Ho lord, you’re completely wrong sis 

BrooklynBoy
29 minutes ago, Comedor said:

Can’t even troll properly. The stats speak for themselves.

BrooklynBoy
8 minutes ago, theintriguingone said:

He had Beyoncé hype, but pulled Tamar number.

BIGGER: Britney. She has so many sabotaged singles and yet everyone knows them and her name and she's considered the princess of pop :jonny5: That has to be some power :jonny5:

5 minutes ago, theintriguingone said:

His stats are amazing though. This week Blonde is #87 on the Billboard 200, 212 weeks after release

1 hour ago, Dante said:

Beyonce. Seems huge but when you go down into detail the numbers arent that impressive

Part of this is the fact that stans don’t consider Destiny’s Child as part of Bey’s stats, even though DC is a big part of why she has the status that she does.