Sade Appreciation Thread

Pink Matter

Pink Matter

Sade | Biography, Songs, & Facts | Britannica

Sade - Diamond Life.pngSade - Promise.pngSade - Stronger Than Pride.png

Sade - The Best of Sade.png

Sade - Love Deluxe.pngSade - Lovers Rock.pngSade - Soldier of Love (album).png

I've recently been getting into their music and it's all damn near flawless! One of the best discoveries I've made in years.

For any chart watchers, the band has also been pretty successful!

According to the RIAA:

Diamond Life: 4x

Promise: 4x

Stronger than Pride: 3x 

Love Deluxe: 4x

Best of Sade: 4x

Lovers Rock: 3x

Soldier of Love: 1x

This is off the strength of a handful of top 40 hits throughout their career (two top 5 hits, 4 top 20 hits, 5 top 40 hits).

According to Chartmasters, as of 2020, Sade has moved 74.8 million album equivalents.

They also amassed critical acclaim as well! They've won 4 Grammy Awards throughout their career and their Pitchfork ratings include:

Diamond Life: 9.6

Promise: 9.0
Stronger than Pride: 8.2

Love Deluxe: 9.3

Lovers Rock: 8.7

Soldier of Love: 7.0

Legacy:

The band is credited with influencing the musical genre of neo soul and achieving success in the 1980s with songs that featured a sophisti-pop style, incorporating elements of soul, pop, smooth jazz and quiet storm.[26] The band was part of a new wave of British R&B-oriented artists during the late-1980s and early-1990s that also included artists Soul II Soul, Caron Wheeler, The Brand New Heavies, Simply Red, Jamiroquai and Lisa Stansfield.[27] AllMusic's Alex Henderson writes that, "Many of the British artists who emerged during that period had a neo-soul outlook and were able to blend influences from different eras".[27] Following the coining of the term "quiet storm" by Smokey Robinson, Sade was credited for helping give the genre a worldwide audience.[28]

The band's work has influenced and been recognized by several musical artists. Rapper Rakim of Eric B. & Rakim stated he grew up listening to Sade's music and was influenced by the singer's voice and style. Rakim has also referenced their song "Smooth Operator" in his rap song "Paid in Full" (1987).[29] Hip hop group Souls of Mischief stated they grew up listening to Sade's music.[29] Hip hop group Tanya Morgan also described Sade as one of their favorite artists.[29] Frontman Chino Moreno of the alternative metal band Deftones has cited Love Deluxe as one of his top 13 favorite albums.[30] In an interview with The Quietus, Moreno said, "I've always loved it, it was a big inspiration on me. It's sort of classy, another cocktail and cityscape record."[30] The band also covered the lead single "No Ordinary Love" in collaboration with singer Jonah Matranga for the band's 2005 compilation album, B-Sides & Rarities.[31] Singer Keri Hilson said, "My Dad would whistle Sade melodies randomly all the time. As a kid, I used to try to whistle along to 'Cherish the Day' or 'The Sweetest Taboo.' He was a real Sade fan and made me one, too!"[29] In reaction to the newly released album Soldier of Love, rapper Kanye West wrote, "This is why i still have a blog. To be a part of moments like this ... new Sade ... How much better this ... than everything else?".[29] Rapper Rick Ross stated in an interview that "People may know my infatuation with Sade. There's never been a bad Sade track. I love all different sides."[32]

Videos:

Spoiler

What are your favorite albums/songs/singles/videos?

tAj8EvG.gif

Love Drought

Timeless discography and impeccable songwriting. Been a fan of them since I was a kid :clap3:Love Deluxe still remains my favourite album by them. Looking forward to the next album in 2030

sade are legends.  this, paradise, & no ordinary love are probably my faves.  all their albums are good tho, can't wait for their next one in 2028! 

Don't Stop Me Now

How long have you been listening to Sade? I remember you participating in their discography rate a few years ago.

Pink Matter
4 minutes ago, Don't Stop Me Now said:

How long have you been listening to Sade? I remember you participating in their discography rate a few years ago.

I believe that was just their singles rate. I've only been stanning Diamond Life and Promise as of recent but I figured last year was as good a time as any to get into their music! So really I only really got into their discography over the last few months. I gotta agree with @Love Drought, I think Love Deluxe topped Diamond Life as my fave Sade album :jonny:

OT: Pearls has got to be their best album track.

There is a woman in Somalia
Scraping for pearls on the roadside
There's a force stronger than nature
Keeps her will alive
This is how she's dying
She's dying to survive
Don't know what she's made of
I would like to be that brave

:'( 

Bloodflowers.

By Your Side

The Moon and the Sky

Paradise

Smooth Operator

Why Can't We Live Together

Pearls

EuXFegr.gif

Pink Matter

Love Deluxe>=Diamond Life->Lovers Rock->Promise->Stronger than Pride

I still need to listen to Soldier of Love, but if the album is even half as good as the title track :jonny5:

EuXFegr.gif

Digitalism

I remember that I loved her when by your side came out but her older music was considered too dated at the time. Something only your old dad would listen to

I'm so happy that it changed and everybody in the music industry has embraced her.

Pink Matter
10 minutes ago, Digitalism said:

I remember that I loved her when by your side came out but her older music was considered too dated at the time. Something only your old dad would listen to

I'm so happy that it changed and everybody in the music industry has embraced her.

That's kinda wild! Their music has much more of a timeless feel to it (especially an album like Promise or Love Deluxe) so I'm surprised their music was ever considered dated :eek: