Did Olivia Rodrigo rip off Kesha?

Do these songs sound alike to you?

I hear people saying the structure is identical with more subdued choruses and verses until a bombastic bridge, and that production is similar too.

BE65nNq.gif

shookspeare

my first thought was that it sounded like Prayer, which explains why I don't like the song. I don't like Prayer either

they're in the same key and the vocal performance is similar in some parts. Too much screaming for me in both of them, though at least Kesha isn't using the indie girl voice

the chord structure is indeed very similar though not identical. any "no" replies are incorrect, the music theory speaks for itself :cm:

Edited by shookspeare
Sisters of Avalon

Taylor Swift+Lorde+Kesha rip off inspirations

she is a truly TRICON:clap3:

TomTom2288

Not ripped off, but they are similar. This interview speaks for itself.

So in addition to a new audience finding this drama, learning who [Olivia] is -- you also have people listening to the song, and realizing it’s just a really great song that feels authentic, that feels familiar. You have fans hearing Lorde in it, you have fans hearing Taylor [Swift] in it, you have fans hearing Kesha in it. So it’s just really resonating with people in a new way. Also, most of the world can relate to a breakup -- so it’s just a relatable song, as well. But you layer in the drama, you layer in just a really active fanbase, and you get this snowball effect. 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/9511182/olivia-rodrigo-spotify-hit-success/

Though it's not bad because the similarities gave Praying exposure on TikTok.

OiZTOUu.png

Edited by TomTom2288
KatyMyLady
43 minutes ago, shookspeare said:

my first thought was that it sounded like Prayer, which explains why I don't like the song. I don't like Prayer either

they're in the same key and the vocal performance is similar in some parts. Too much screaming for me in both of them, though at least Kesha isn't using the indie girl voice

the chord structure is indeed very similar though not identical. any "no" replies are incorrect, the music theory speaks for itself :cm:

Lol the “aveeeecawdohsssss” indie girl voice is the only thing I don’t like about drivers license lol 

I’m a Kesha stan and never once heard or thought of Praying when I heard of. Definitely more Lorde :rip: 

I heard the similarities almost instantly and I spent the whole day trying to figure out what song it reminded me of. They definitely do go hand in hand :coffee2:

• ATRL Moderator
Reinvention

"drivers license" sounds more like a Lorde track if anything. 

• #FreeBritney Activist
Enzolorenzo

Wait I didn’t realize there were actually some similarities. :deadbanana2:But I don’t think she did, they’re not THAT similar 

dirrtydiana

Careful. The other day I mentioned how the Ariana aesthetic is there on the video with lowercase and upside down thumbnail and the oah started flocking my post 

aliciavikanders
46 minutes ago, dirrtydiana said:

Careful. The other day I mentioned how the Ariana aesthetic is there on the video with lowercase and upside down thumbnail and the oah started flocking my post 

So Ariana Grande created and monopolized the use of lower case letters in song titles? 

uKsZaaJ.gif

Not to mention the thumbnail isn't her upside down per se, it's a shot of her head hanging out of a car window as the car is moving, pretty much copy and pasted from what Lorde did in the 'Green Light' MV. The delusion :rip:

OT: No 

3 hours ago, keshasfillers said:

They sound alike

LMAO :deadbanana2:They literally have the same key and tempo