A dark theme is now available to ATRL+ members. ×

HDD: Big Publishers Chasing after Phenom Olivia Rodrigo

Baby Judas

Makes me happy to see that she has (so far) gotten it right. Hope she has someone knowledgable of the business and loyal on her side to help make this decision. It could literally make or break her future. Rooting for her, the song is amazing.

5 minutes ago, Golden Hour said:

Makes me happy to see that she has (so far) gotten it right. Hope she has someone knowledgable of the business and loyal on her side to help make this decision. It could literally make or break her future. Rooting for her, the song is amazing.

A good thing that she has is that she is extremely prolific (she writes a song everyday - loves to do it) and that she actually wants to be a MPG.

Imo, Lorde didn’t make any mistakes. She’s where she wants to be and is living her life. Her albums do better than her singles, she’s extremely respected, and could very well become a music legend.

2 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

Girl has one viral Lorde-lite song and suddenly she’s what the industry is pinning their hopes on :deadbanana2:

she's different from other one hit wonders in the sense that its her CELEBRITY thats fueling the song (which is also a good song), in Hollywood, its CELEBRITIES pushing hits that makes a career last (if your a woman, if your a man, you have Bruno Mars who's celebrity is nonexistent but pushes out hits every era) and its where most of drivers license's steam comes from. 

she's set for a big debut era if she plays her cards right and releases single 2 in 8-10 weeks time. if she promotes herself as a singer songwriter who writes all her material a la Taylor... another under 20 year old GRAMMY sweep methinks. poor positions, evermore and A4.

3 minutes ago, Timber said:

A good thing that she has is that she is extremely prolific (she writes a song everyday - loves to do it) and that she actually wants to be a MPG.

Imo, Lorde didn’t make any mistakes. She’s where she wants to be and is living her life. Her albums do better than her singles, she’s extremely respected, and could very well become a music legend.

this. from what she's been saying recently, she clearly has her sights on MPG level domination. her faves Taylor duh :fan:

whats great from her position is, unlike Taylor, Gaga, Katy or most MPGs at debut, she already has an established celebrity power pushing all her releases hype. For most beginning artists, its 'great songs make the celebrity huge' (artist needs a growing fanbase, a slow burning hit or just a good era in general to have a chance at a smash second era), with her and all this massive joshua drama, she gets the 'huge celebrity makes great songs' treatment where her celebrity precedes her music and if the music slaps, its a guaranteed smash.

50% of her debut single :jonny6:

12 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

Girl has one viral Lorde-lite song and suddenly she’s what the industry is pinning their hopes on :deadbanana2:

All I Want went viral last year so I'm guessing that's what warranted the 50% deal with Geffen

Edited by XIAN
24 minutes ago, MingYouToo said:

she's different from other one hit wonders in the sense that its her CELEBRITY thats fueling the song (which is also a good song), in Hollywood, its CELEBRITIES pushing hits that makes a career last (if your a woman, if your a man, you have Bruno Mars who's celebrity is nonexistent but pushes out hits every era) and its where most of drivers license's steam comes from. 

she's set for a big debut era if she plays her cards right and releases single 2 in 8-10 weeks time. if she promotes herself as a singer songwriter who writes all her material a la Taylor... another under 20 year old GRAMMY sweep methinks. poor positions, evermore and A4.

How did you come to the conclusion that Bruno Mars is not a celebrity :toofunny3: He has a huge name his songs aren't just random hits

1 hour ago, Timber said:

I never brought up Lorde as I don't think she made a mistake with Royals/Pure Heroine, but werk. But yes we love to see Olivia's drive, she's going places!

Just now, Golden Hour said:

I never brought up Lorde as I don't think she made a mistake with Royals/Pure Heroine, but werk. But yes we love to see Olivia's drive, she's going places!

Yeah, I was on mobile and didn't want to hassle replying to the person on the other page. Mb.

2 hours ago, Eglė said:

She should sign to Ron Perry’s SONGS and have Labrinth executive produce the album :jonny5:

Imagine the collapse :jonny5:

SONGS sold their publishing rights business to Kolbalt, who in turn sold some of their catalogs to Hipgnosis.

Ron Perry is now Chairman and CEO of Columbia Records.

On 1/15/2021 at 6:50 AM, QueenofCopyPaste said:

Sorry but what does this mean?

Publishing rights are the rights to the song-writing which means that even if another artist covers your song you get paid. If an artist includes part of your song into their song, you get credited and get paid. You can manage your own publishing rights, but it often makes more sense to let a music publishing company take care of tracking who uses your music and making sure that you get paid for every cover and re-use of your music.

She would probably be offered an advance of several million.

For reference, Lorde might have been offered something between $2.5 million to $4 million

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/nov/13/lorde-publishing-deal

https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/lorde-signs-publishing-deal-worth-us4m-ck-148570