Does colorism exist in music?

Sweet Sexy Savage

Sweet Sexy Savage

Colorism: Discrimination based on skin color, also known as colorism or shadeism, is a form of prejudice or discrimination in which people who are usually members of the same race are treated differently based on the social implications which come with the cultural meanings which are attached to skin color. 

Is there a valid point to be made about colorism in the music industry? Or does it not exist because the most successful all time black singers i.e. Whitney, Mariah, Beyoncé, Aretha, etc. is enough for representation? Or are we just going to ignore that black girls and poc have to work twice as hard to gain as much support from this generation?

For example, I swear up and down that members here do not believe in such a thing that exists(as proven by recent events).

I actually believe that millennials and the first half of Generation Zs were much more accepting of black and poc idols as the charts were much more inclusive back then. It seems to have made a flip with the newest crop of tik tok and social media celebrities following the Kardashian footprint. Why is that? 

3000.jpeg

I don't think you know what colorism is despite quoting it :keir: Colorism is white society's racist preference of POC that are lighter or have "european features" - therefore more "palatable" for problematic white people because they're viewed as less "exotic" or "different". This belief has been adopted within ethnic communities because people want to play pick me to white people and celebrate beauty features that would be more accepted by them white folk. A lot of it is internalized racism, colonialism leftovers, growing up in white dominated societies etc. 

"You're pretty for a ____" is colorism.

"Good hair" is colorism.

"You don't look too Asian" is colorism.

Edited by éclat

Yes, it definitely exists. And I think it’s more common now than before. Where are the dark skinned Pop girls that are being put forward by labels/smashing? I don’t recall any new black singers smashing and being marketed to build a fanbase outside of R&B. 

chaneloberlin

colorism permeates every single facet society from healthcare to academia to employment to housing. of course there is colorism in music. but you need to leave this little girl alone all your posts are very weird

Sweet Sexy Savage
25 minutes ago, chaneloberlin said:

colorism permeates every single facet society from healthcare to academia to employment to housing. of course there is colorism in music. but you need to leave this little girl alone all your posts are very weird

What can our idols do to influence our generation that we can find people of all skin tones in areas of success equal to white counterparts?
She’s only a two years younger than me who you talking about little girl? :rip:

Sweet Sexy Savage
34 minutes ago, éclat said:

I don't think you know what colorism is despite quoting it :keir: Colorism is white society's racist preference of POC that are lighter or have "european features" - therefore more "palatable" for problematic white people because they're viewed as less "exotic" or "different". This belief has been adopted within ethnic communities because people want to play pick me to white people and celebrate beauty features that would be more accepted by them white folk. A lot of it is internalized racism, colonialism leftovers, growing up in white dominated societies etc. 

"You're pretty for a ____" is colorism.

"Good hair" is colorism.

"You don't look too Asian" is colorism.

Nothing I said was meant to be taken from the direct perspective that you’re implying it means. What I said in the OP are examples of an indirect cause of colorism

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, chaneloberlin said:

colorism permeates every single facet society from healthcare to academia to employment to housing. of course there is colorism in music.

:cm:

11 minutes ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

Nothing I said was meant to be taken from the direct perspective that you’re implying it means. What I said in the OP are examples of an indirect cause of colorism

giphy.gif

Mariah, Rihanna, Beyonce, Alcia Keys, Nicki Minaj all benefit from colorism. Do you think they would be as successful if they were dark skinned? 

chaneloberlin
20 minutes ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

What can our idols do to influence our generation that we can find people of all skin tones in areas of success equal to white counterparts?
She’s only a two years younger than me who you talking about little girl? :rip:

it is not on them to do anything. they've had their hit singles. maybe the first step into making the charts more race inclusive is by supporting darker skinned pop artists in the industry now. stream holiday. lizzo has a new single out in like 3 weeks. vanjess (their music can crossover). MNEK. bree runway. khalid. and there's more

and girl i don't know how old you are :rip: both of you are very young. 

all your posts seem negative to that olivia girl when she hasn't even done anything wrong. it's not her fault the tik tok generation picked it up very quickly

Sweet Sexy Savage
6 minutes ago, chaneloberlin said:

it is not on them to do anything. they've had their hit singles. maybe the first step into making the charts more race inclusive is by supporting darker skinned pop artists in the industry now. stream holiday. lizzo has a new single out in like 3 weeks. vanjess (their music can crossover). MNEK. bree runway. khalid. and there's more

and girl i don't know how old you are :rip: both of you are very young. 

all your posts seem negative to that olivia girl when she hasn't even done anything wrong. it's not her fault the tik tok generation picked it up very quickly

I’ve been supporting all those said artists, but they aren’t getting the same amount of support as lighter complexion idols/upcoming singers, so clearly this isn’t a me thing, but more of a holding influential people up to that pedestal.

38 minutes ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

I would like to see Jay-Z and Beyonce expand their record labels and sign more black Popstars, there’s nothing wrong with R&B, but the budget clearly isn’t the same as it is for those who go the Pop route. 

Sweet Sexy Savage
3 minutes ago, Mercurio said:

I would like to see Jay-Z and Beyonce expand their record labels and sign more black Popstars, there’s nothing wrong with R&B, but the budget clearly isn’t the same as it is for those who go the Pop route. 

This, I can imagine as a future endeavor Jay and Bey will take on for the foreseeable  future hopefully!  I do think that it can go even deeper from the idol standpoint. It goes to the institutional standpoint as well, where overall stigmatization of a successful [career] can be seen in other skin tones and represent something normal and equal.

chaneloberlin
15 minutes ago, Sweet Sexy Savage said:

I’ve been supporting all those said artists, but they aren’t getting the same amount of support as lighter complexion idols/upcoming singers, so clearly this isn’t a me thing, but more of a holding influential people up to that pedestal.

idk then. Maybe Beyoncé needs to Savage Remix some more up and coming black artists into stardom. Hell, the rap artists do it all the time (see: Drake, Lil Wayne) 

St. Francis

Yes. It's been well-documented.

2 hours ago, betterthanyourfave said:

Kelly Rowland 

While she may have been affected by colorism, Kelly also lacked drive. 

fentypark
59 minutes ago, Karla Cabello said:

is the sky blue?

is water wet?

is atrl racist?

A0FF77B1-4933-4FB5-ADED-22A1C5CEF2A6.thu

no, it's not actually :deadbanana4:

rihannabiggestfan

Dark-skinned American women like Kelly Rowland and Azealia being much bigger in Europe than the US is interesting tho

Problematique