Mariah disses Caution.

She’s 100% right when she said critics were more harsh back in the day. Just look at the Metacritic scores of pop albums in the 2000s, it’s insane. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suburbannature

• Don't Stop Me Now

• Soda Pop Queen

• Grown K

She’s spot on about the critics, but I have to disagree about “being rushed”. Caution is fantastic. I love Mariah, but we all know she can get nitpicky and sometimes do too much in the studio. If Caution is the result of being rushed or less is more, then perhaps she could afford to do that a little more when making the next album. 

RainDreamer

Critics tend to base their reviews on how well liked a person is to the GP, like if an artist in the midst of some negative controversy chances are they're reviews will be negative as well. It just simply brings more clicks to talk good about someone that people currently love and more clicks to talk bad about someone that people currently hate.

AintNoOtherMe

I love Caution, it’s her best album since Emancipation and one of her best overall. 

Ugh girl shut the fuk up.

She puts in the work and diss it, she's always like this :skull:

If you listen to the whole podcast, she says she's not trying to diss the album. It seems like she just has a bad taste in her mouth cause of how the label handed it/she didn't get to spend an undetermined amount of time on it. She's not saying she didn't like anything on the album.  

Soda Pop Queen
2 hours ago, Beyonnaise said:

I like that she acknowledged that critics have changed. Female artists from the 90s and 00s are probably flabbergasted at the level of acclaim the pop girls of today get that they weren’t afforded.

A whole slew of female singer-songwriters in the Alternative, Rock, Folk and Soul genres didn't have as much of an issue after the 60s with getting fair acclaim. It was the majority of the Teen Pop, R&B and Adult Contemporary acts that were judged more harshly (Hip-Hop criticism was a self contained industry in the 90s with things like The Source, etc.). The only pop girl exceptions were Madonna and Janet Jackson. Poptimism was necessary imo to balance things out.

Almighty Gaga

Also, it was rushed. Not that it was rushed

:deadbanana:

killer_rose

Norman spreading lies.

What she said about Caution wasn't a diss. 

3 hours ago, V3$$3L. said:

Girl, shut yo ass up.

i have to agree 

gtfo>>>

Divine

FloridaKilos

It is a short album in comparison to her previous efforts BUT it is a really solid record 

it didn't sound rushed to me :rip:  she's right that criticis changed yes, but i still think its in her top 3. 

Dolce Vita

i get the vocal part but even that’s a bit of a stretch, caution is pretty much a 10/10 album. it didn’t need any other song added to it 

its_britney_bitch

It’s interesting what she said about instant grats, she was so right about that. GTFO had a lot of hype but they threw it all away because it wasn’t the “real single”. And then when you only have 10 tracks, releasing 4 of them before the album is released kinda ruins the first listening for fans. You would think Mariah Carey would have more control over that. They don’t seem to do that with newer artists (that I’ve noticed). And I love that she acknowledged that lambs want the albums to do well.

The album is amazing and its charm lies in the fact that it's stripped back.

I like that she's using the lower, more lax parts of her voice rather than belting for the sake of proving she can still sing. A lot of her albums suffer from trying to do too much/being overproduced and would benefit from her fiddling less. I think MIAM...TEC could've been a beautiful, raw album but it's bloated af. Caution feels like a step in the right direction. 

fagsturbation
3 hours ago, feelslikeadream said:

We could tell it was rushed. If she had more time to get in more recording sessions, she obviously would have created stronger songs to replace SLLY, OMG, Portrait, etc.

3 hours ago, brainmaniac said:

So was it rushed or not  :toofunny3:

I get what she means though. She knows Caution isn’t that great and nowhere near her best albums, and that Caution being her most acclaimed album has more to do with the way critics have changed than about Caution being that good.

And you see that with other pop girls too, their latest albums getting more critical praise than their most beloved and older albums because of the way critics have changed 

Trash can level taste

P1q1fa9.gif

Her  having less time to work on the record and her vocals not being in her favour might actually have been a blesssing in disguise seeing as Caution strengths come from a very solid tracklist, her laid back vocals, letting the production speak for itself.