Mariah disses Caution.

On QuestLove's podcast.

aHR0cHM6Ly9pbWFnZXMubWVnYXBob25lLmZtL1E1MFlJSWN6NDY2Z2hCcVloVnpZMWZHbHdrcC15LUNKVHotRm5wODRkT0UvcGxhaW4vczM6Ly9tZWdhcGhvbmUtcHJvZC9wb2RjYXN0cy8yZGVjNjE0ZS1mOTkyLTExZTktOTFiZS00YjgyZDJhOTEwZjMvaW1hZ2UvdXBsb2Fkc18yRjE1NzIyNzQxNDM2OTItYTIwM2EwaHd3OG4tM2FhOGI2YmQ0MGJkNTMzODg5ZTIzZTk1ZTMyM2QyYzhfMkZjZkFNb0Zrdy5wbmc=?surrogate=1cOXl179JY-syhxYSCX6Q0eiIcGoV7te-ks9KjlRNxatJ_Z4OUVrWinIeofSYHCIMY8IrZUYyQLPm2ETr3G1wjyic2ISF59psvpnIxKF7C3zSVjwNembiA0pKg-hxOPMyqWCbchy6EBS-uVVczo7rBUh4rTlT44_v8bMV_1rWl-0hbROfhTMMPQSN-jZCzCPu7Qf7wV-n_pD8FjRe8LLOF-5KmWDqJEGZNUoqoMXYx1PTU0Hl5vclCRKvPKCjRer5iAf3Rie3BV73VaitJnRacWgiy7cekzhcN8VOJq8aE_if-8AFA0-ZgNHS-EMAPf5xKTMZKUi2i1huTnDz5yY2dt4ExJ2XP2s7seWRCrD5uxwqouDzx9e4sz6mOAdi4yOA7Suu9ouSmDv4xepk33znDSwL2iXY5knxuXVhufT6kZIBqFqicU0pdHMHi0XZN7TedeSEMAAaAwmQOTG3scVyY4PW1C0Ozp3YUtno1qPsByaVXHLTTA9zzEOplcx2qvOnHNW_W60_2vtR-T7

When asked about if she's making another album, she talks about having a different approach to the album.

When I did Caution, I love some of the songs from Caution, but I don't think I was at the place vocally where I could be now. Also, it was rushed. Not that it was rushed, and look, it was my best, most critically acclaimed album, you know I think that's because the critics have changed and shifted since back in the day. Believe it or not, if you look at those things, it's the most favorite album, but what I was gonna say is that I didn't have the time I would normally take, and I really wish I did have that time to do a few more records on that album to just, fully have that expression.

QuestLove Supreme: Mariah Carey Part 1

@38:42

It wasn't the experience she had with previous albums.

I'm sure a lot feel differently.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suburbannature

• Don't Stop Me Now

• Soda Pop Queen

• Grown K

Legendairy

I will not have it, 8th Grade remains a spiritual RnB experience. I will not have this slander. 

sweetsexysavage

As she should. I like Caution, but it's so overrated on ATRL.

A No No, The Distance, 8th Grade tho >>>

Ampersand13

She didn't diss it thought? She said she loves a lot of it and just wishes she could made it longer and with slightly better vocals. Queen it ain't too late for a re-release (see Britney's Glory). Give us the re-up! Caution deserves more love

Well maybe you should rush more and not nitpick everything Mariah because Caution was your best album in years. 

EDIT: After listening to everything I understand where she is coming from. She didn't really diss the album..

Edited by makeme
Indie Go Mind

MARIAH NO!!! Caution is one of your top 3 albums for me! :emofish:

KatyMyLady

NGL I understand the vocals opinion, she sounds better in her newer recordings, but that album is SO good!!!!! I adore it. 

Beyonnaise

I like that she acknowledged that critics have changed. Female artists from the 90s and 00s are probably flabbergasted at the level of acclaim the pop girls of today get that they weren’t afforded.

33 minutes ago, jdmc219 said:

Also, it was rushed. Not that it was rushed.

what is the truth.gif 

Both Sides Now

This isn’t really a diss... She basically said that she wishes her vocals were in a better place and that she could have had some more time to include more songs. 

Slightly tangential, but I think when artists are reigned in a bit, their work can be a lot better. We saw what happened when Mariah tried too many things on one album (MIAM... TEC). It happens with a lot of artists. 

Mariah’s comments about reviewers are spot on. Looking at some of her earlier reviews is ridiculous. I didn’t listen to Charmbracelet for a long time because of its 43 on Metacritic. That album turned out to be exquisite. They definitely botched so many reviews based on what was going on with a pop artist’s personal life rather than the actual music. 

She didn't diss it but tbh if that's what she calls "rushed" i sure hope the White Rabbit will shove that clock up on her face next time too :cm:

The fact that she's always been honest with how the reviews are. We love Mariah and honesty.

Don't Stop Me Now

Music critics have indeed shifted drastically - these days most albums are getting 80+. Caution received a score of 82 based off of 9 reviews. Odd how most music critics didn’t bother with Caution. 

jezebelvictoria

I LOVE 'Caution'. This wasn't a diss but ATRL loves clickbait. Anyway, release a new album, Mariah!! :angry:

maybe it was rushed but most songs are GENIUS! giving me life, caution, portrait, 8th grade, with you...

she tends to over-perfect her albums that they could sound 'too' polished (i'm not familiar with her whole discography, just a few albums but i know her process and hard work)

what i'm trying to say is, sometimes the first take is the best take, better off not over-fluff the album with an extra whistle

feelslikeadream

We could tell it was rushed. If she had more time to get in more recording sessions, she obviously would have created stronger songs to replace SLLY, OMG, Portrait, etc.

brainmaniac
1 hour ago, jdmc219 said:

Also, it was rushed. Not that it was rushed,

So was it rushed or not  :toofunny3:

I get what she means though. She knows Caution isn’t that great and nowhere near her best albums, and that Caution being her most acclaimed album has more to do with the way critics have changed than about Caution being that good.

And you see that with other pop girls too, their latest albums getting more critical praise than their most beloved and older albums because of the way critics have changed 

Slave 4 U

Serve us another Stay Long Love You and all will be forgiven. :gaycat2:

Petty Bourgeoisie
1 hour ago, Legendairy said:

I will not have it, 8th Grade remains a spiritual RnB experience. I will not have this slander. 

whew taste, 8th God is an ascension :alexz:

Also, it was rushed. Not that it was rushed

P1q1fa9.gif

truthteller

lowkey agree. the LP is too short (only 39 mins). she could add some tracks for a deluxe re-release. :WAP: