Shakira sells 100% publishing of her songs to Hipgnosis

I am hearing more and more artists do this. Are they trying to turn music into Stocks? There is a method to their madness.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• selenachris

• slw84

• Totami Legend

• Chromatica

SchmoodRing
On 1/13/2021 at 3:44 AM, jadeabove said:

To be fair, Shakira has been serving retirement in the past 2 years so maybe she’s had it. Although, I do know for a fact that she was working on a new album last year in March.... so who knows...

I pray that something is coming this year 

15 hours ago, Johnny Cash said:

Get those coins queen :clap3: 

I don't think this is that deep. She's never been too invested in the technicalities of music rights and stuff like that. She's even said she doesn't care if pirate her music :michael: Her selling her publishing rights doesn't mean she doesn't care about her craft.

This could even be a good thing for stans, since the new owners might actually want to promote her catalogue more which she never really did.

We need DELL vinyls. :jonny:

Something is fishy with all those big names selling not their masters but their publishing all to the same company.

Something is about to happen in the industry.

On 1/13/2021 at 2:48 PM, Pop culture said:

So you can't release music because Shakira sold her publishing? What? :skull:

:deadbanana:

SoExcited19
On 1/13/2021 at 4:58 AM, Angelo said:

She wants to buy more Hermes Birkin bags? :fan:

Wtf? She doesn't even cares about looks much less will she care about hermes bags lol.

St. Francis

From all this, what I do wonder though is that if music today was more geared to the older demographic (who actually BUY records), would the industry continue to shrink? Most of the artists today within the mainstream either have no talent, have no stage presence or release crap music and the GP are rightfully seeing through that and being selective with who they support. 

Only stans (young teens mainly) care to stream songs endlessly as if their lives depended on it and even then, they grow out of that behaviour eventually.

There is a little amount of wholesomeness in music today compared to when we at least had variety - either you're a sexpot or a caricature and there is a reason why Adele and Taylor sell so many records. Labels need to look at their career footprints and see what can be adjusted.

How did we go from MJ, Whitney, Prince, George Michael, Elton John and so many others to what's out today. None of them would happen if they debuted in this day and age.

12 minutes ago, [email protected]@ said:

Who else has sold their publishing ? 

Here's a list, but some that are recent like Fleetwood Mac's Lindsay Buckingham and Neil Young are not listed yet.

https://www.hipgnosissongs.com/catalogues

There's also Bob Dylan, but he sold his to Universal. And Dolly Parton also said recently that she's considering selling hers.

Edited by mathekr

I don’t get it.... so what does this mean ? Is she starting from 0, is she going independent ? What????