Shakira sells 100% publishing of her songs to Hipgnosis

Totami Legend
Just now, Spartan528 said:

Please delete before I drag your one language speaking a**. 

I listen to Italian, English and Korean music. :celestial5: 

I wasn't trying to sound shady.

1 minute ago, Totami Legend said:

You're right. I'm completely ignorant. I don't know well her Spanish catalogue.

If that's the case, I don't see why she would sell those songs If they mean much to her and the fans.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• selenachris

• slw84

• Totami Legend

• Chromatica

Chromatica
43 minutes ago, jadeabove said:

To be fair, Shakira has been serving retirement in the past 2 years so maybe she’s had it. Although, I do know for a fact that she was working on a new album last year in March.... so who knows...

A tour was announced for 2021 right after the Super Bowl last year but Corona happened

Chromatica

Also does this mean she won't earn a single penny for streams or sales of her past music anymore?

It's pandemic, they have bills to pay and they can't tour at the moment so...... What a practical move by Shakira. 

selenachris
46 minutes ago, Marshal_ac said:

you must not be a Spanish speaker because her Spanish albums >>>>> any Mariah or taylor albums when it comes to lyrics. It's her English music that serves quick little pop hits which is what helped her become so global (more than Mariah or taylor) so it was on purpose.

I literally gasped at the ignorance.

I love No so much :jonny2:

Dória Gentili
1 hour ago, Totami Legend said:

Well, her catalogue isn't very artistry and deep as Mariah or Taylor.

She sold pop hits for money, not pieces of her personal life.:coffee2:

Dragging the UnIverSaLy loVeD flAwLeSs qUeEn sHaKi? You will be quoted many times.

selenachris
10 minutes ago, Angelo said:

It's pandemic, they have bills to pay and they can't tour at the moment so...... What a practical move by Shakira. 

She has enough money to live well. You don’t sell your entire career because of a pandemic when you already have millions and are married to a top soccer player. There must be another reason. 

Just now, selenachris said:

She has enough money to live well. You don’t sell your entire career because of a pandemic when you already have millions and are married to a top soccer player. There must be another reason. 

She wants to buy more Hermes Birkin bags? :fan:

2 hours ago, Chromatica said:

Also does this mean she won't earn a single penny for streams or sales of her past music anymore?

No. She sold her masters and the company owns them now, but she'll still get a share for being the singer/singing voice, writer, producer etc. but it'll be less then if she owned her masters as more money will go to the copany who owns the songs.

3 hours ago, Totami Legend said:

No shade! I understand why she has no reasons to keep those songs. It's not that deep. :celestial5:

is that some kind of hentai in your avi? dm me the link goku looks hot af :jonny5:

ot: oh noo

SinnerCity
5 hours ago, ExhaleShoop said:

Do celebs know something normal people don’t? Why are some stockpiling money 

Streaming has impacted negatively the business for musicians, they make more money selling off their 'rights' than by keeping them. It's a ****ed up situation but the industry is changing drastically and it will not be profitable as it is in years from now. Artists are a business after all.

ExhaleShoop

I have a feeling they fronted her all the royalties she would earn if she lived very long. Now her future family will have nothing 

BabyBenzz

i LOVE that she sold her music and is grabbing headlines but forbid the company and anyone involved from spilling what they payed her, we love a smart humble queen who keeps her money business private without wanting to show off or pay taxes

8 hours ago, Totami Legend said:

Well, her catalogue isn't very artistry and deep as Mariah or Taylor.

She sold pop hits for money, not pieces of her personal life.:coffee2:

Do you even speak spanish??? Taylor could never in a million years write songs like “Octavo Día”, “Se Quiere Se Mata”, “Antología”, “Inevitable”, “Pies Descalzos, Sueños Blancos”... And she also has made songs in different languages, something Taylor could never even do (does she speak something other than English?).

Anyways, it looks like a lot of artists are selling their catalogs as the music industry gets overtaken almost 100% by streaming.

Soda Pop Queen

.... and another one. This is wild but given the rapidly diminishing business profits over the past 20 years, I'm not surprised. Pandemic has only highlighted just how much the business side of music has been dying.

Edited by Soda Pop Queen
brainmaniac

This sounds like a silly short-sighted move. This is the kind of stuff artists are warned not to do, and yet Shakira does it :deadbanana2::toofunny2:

Oh well, I guess she knows the value of her catalogue and it must not have been much, if she thought selling it was more profitable than holding onto it

But then again, she was having issues with her taxes so maybe she needed money fast

8 hours ago, Spartan528 said:

Please delete before I drag your one language speaking a**. 

Freaking monolinguals and their entitlement. 

TheFireLexus
6 hours ago, Paddy said:

No. She sold her masters and the company owns them now, but she'll still get a share for being the singer/singing voice, writer, producer etc. but it'll be less then if she owned her masters as more money will go to the copany who owns the songs.

She didn't own her masters to start with so she couldn't sell them. What she sold is her publishing - " Hipgnosis has acquired 100% of her pub rights (publishing and writer’s share)."

1 minute ago, TheFireLexus said:

She didn't own her masters to start with so she couldn't sell them. What she sold is her publishing - " Hipgnosis has acquired 100% of her pub rights (publishing and writer’s share)."

oh sorry, missed that. 

it really must have cost them a lot. 

Chromatica
1 hour ago, ExhaleShoop said:

I have a feeling they fronted her all the royalties she would earn if she lived very long. Now her future family will have nothing 

Her kids will be just fine :rip: their mom is one of the biggest artists with a massive 20+yr long career who made more than enough money for several lifetimes and their daddy is one of the highest paid football players

TasteOfYourLips
11 hours ago, BobBertran1992 said:

This author gives a fitting explanation

https://twitter.com/tedgioia/status/1346490066655449095?s=20

:ace: And somehow music is still profitable for kpop and kpop industry is still investing large amounts of money in music. Either western labels are doing fear mongering around artists for them to sell their catalogues or are just THAT incompetent to solve whatever problems they have with piracy and streaming by doing 360 deals (which wouldn't surprise me either because they still didn't learn from kpop how to sell physical albums)

Pop culture
11 hours ago, jadeabove said:

And here I was excited to release new music. It’s depressing really.

So you can't release music because Shakira sold her publishing? What? :skull: