Shakira sells 100% publishing of her songs to Hipgnosis

HIPGNOSIS DON’T LIE: MERCK DANCES OFF
WITH SHAKIRA CATALOG

In yet another asset-acquisition triumph, Merck Mercuriadis Hipgnosis has secured the catalog of chart-busting global superstar Shakira.

The “Queen of Latin Music,” whose works have driven 80m+ record sales and earned three Grammys, 12 Latin Grammys, four VMAs, six Guinness World Records and countless hours spent attempting to cop her moves by drunken HITS employees, adds some 145 songs to Merck’s capacious vault. Hipgnosis has acquired 100% of her pub rights (publishing and writer’s share).

hitsdd_photo_gal__photo_303047285.jpg

The Colombia native’s hits include “Estoy Aquí,” “Ciego, Sordomuda,” “Tú,” the top-selling international giant “Hips Don’t Lie” (#1 in 55 countries), “Whenever, Wherever,” “Underneath Your Clothes,” “La Tortura,” “She Wolf” and the chart-topping FIFA anthem “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa).”

Shakira was repped in the deal by manager Jaime Levine and lawyers David Lande and Mitch Tenzer at Ziffren Brittenham Law LLP. After execution documents were signed, everyone did some hip-shaking atop a giant pile of greenbacks.

"One step at a time, this incredible woman from Colombia has evolved into one of the most famous and influential people in the world," reads a quote from Merck. "What no one should ever take for granted is that she is one of the most serious and successful songwriters of the last 25 years, having written or co-written virtually every song she has ever recorded. She is a superb creator who has led the charge from what was massive physical success to now having bigger success in streaming than most of her contemporaries. This is the result of her being a determined force of nature and having written songs the world is incredibly passionate about. It’s wonderful for us to welcome, Shakira, the Queen of Latin Music and much more, to the Hipgnosis family."

https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=324711&title=HIPGNOSIS-DON%E2%80%99T-LIE%3A-MERCK-DANCES-OFF-WITH-SHAKIRA-CATALOG

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• selenachris

• slw84

• Totami Legend

• Chromatica

dirrtydiana
5 minutes ago, ExhaleShoop said:

Do celebs know something normal people don’t? Why are some stockpiling money 

Got chills reading your post.

My guess is they want their cash in case the economy collapses again :dancehall:

Pop culture

Wtf, why is everyone selling their catalogue? :psyduck:

And the publishing nonetheless, which means she now has 0 control on how her music is used

BobBertran1992
2 minutes ago, selenachris said:

So this means music will stop existing?

As a profitable business it might...

rihannabiggestfan

What the **** :skull:

for how much? It seems shady regardless tho, I mean ... 100%?

jadeabove
4 minutes ago, rihannabiggestfan said:

What the **** :skull:

for how much? It seems shady regardless tho, I mean ... 100%?

To be fair, Shakira has been serving retirement in the past 2 years so maybe she’s had it. Although, I do know for a fact that she was working on a new album last year in March.... so who knows...

Archetype

While it makes financial sense to sell in a dying music market before valuations go down, is it really worth it?  I suppose after so many years in the industry, musicians might not care about where or how their music is played.

Totami Legend

Well, her catalogue isn't very artistry and deep as Mariah or Taylor.

She sold pop hits for money, not pieces of her personal life.:coffee2:

selenachris
3 minutes ago, Totami Legend said:

Girl

54 minutes ago, selenachris said:

So this means music will stop existing?

52 minutes ago, BobBertran1992 said:

As a profitable business it might...

I can see why it’s not profitable for the artists back catalogue because streaming revenues just don’t compare to pure sales, but music itself will not cease to exist. Artists that are currently smashing on streaming generate LOTS of money for their labels, and music streaming is predicted to grow to $30 Billion by 2030. 

Totami Legend
5 minutes ago, selenachris said:

Girl

No shade! I understand why she has no reasons to keep those songs. It's not that deep. :celestial5:

Marshal_ac
11 minutes ago, Totami Legend said:

you must not be a Spanish speaker because her Spanish albums >>>>> any Mariah or taylor albums when it comes to lyrics. It's her English music that serves quick little pop hits which is what helped her become so global (more than Mariah or taylor) so it was on purpose.

8 minutes ago, selenachris said:

Girl

I literally gasped at the ignorance.

Totami Legend
13 minutes ago, Marshal_ac said:

you must not be a Spanish speaker because her Spanish albums >>>>> any Mariah or taylor albums when it comes to lyrics. It's her English music that serves quick little pop hits which is what helped her become so global (more than Mariah or taylor) so it was on purpose.

I literally gasped at the ignorance.

You're right. I'm completely ignorant. I don't know well her Spanish catalogue.

If that's the case, I don't see why she would sell those songs If they mean much to her and the fans.

Spartan528
32 minutes ago, Totami Legend said:

Please delete before I drag your one language speaking a**.