No 2020 Album Hit Platinum in the UK Last Year, Shook?

Jude

They need to lower their certification thresholds by a bit. 

Aren’t their certifications a little harder to achieve than RIAAs ?

I mean platinum in the UK is much harder to achieve than with RIAA. I think it both has to do with the threshold being to high and the UK having weird conversions for streams to album sales, which is why albums that are largely streaming dependent look like they are performing not that well (Positions is an example) despite the singles smashing.

Edited by mintpasty

So I guess gold should be considered decent in today’s standard, thanks to miss rona

Edited by Yog

Future Nostalgia is getting pretty close at 265k as of January 4th. It'll probably get to platinum before it's 1 year anniversary.

Sales really have been the pits this year though especially in the UK :rip:

31 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

Fine and Future be coming

Fine Line is platinum for a long time. it has sold 363k to the end of 2020. It was released on December 13, 2019 tho.

1 minute ago, Eleni said:

Fine Line is platinum for a long time. it has sold 363k to the end of 2020. It was released on December 13, 2019 tho.

oooh..right

Idk how it works in the USA, but in the U.K. the two most streamed album tracks have their streams ‘neutralised’, i.e. the numbers are averaged out to the average streams of the next ten most listened to songs on the album. Once those two tracks have been neutralised, their streams are combined with every other track and from that total a ratio of 1,000 streams = 1 sale is applied.

So basically, with our current rules, having a big single doesn’t boost your album sales much (through streaming) if nobody is really checking for the rest of the album. 

Also our streams to sales ratio, certification thresholds and the pandemic have probably all played a part. I’m pretty sure music consumption dropped heavily during the first lockdown, and of course physical sales would have taken a significant hit with people not leaving their houses. 

1 hour ago, Isaiah said:

Yes. Billie was top 10 for 50 weeks and is still #20 this week and the album is only 2x platinum.

In the US she was top 10 for 47 weeks and the album is eligible for 4x platinum.

2 hours ago, Isaiah said:

In the past they weren't as album sales were really strong but now they haven't taken streaming into account enough.

Dua will probably hit platinum soon. 

On 1/9/2021 at 6:32 PM, tbhmatt said:

So basically, with our current rules, having a big single doesn’t boost your album sales much (through streaming) if nobody is really checking for the rest of the album. 

I kinda agree with this approach. 

Their threshold does not make sense

UK population: 66M

Platinum: 300k (0.45%)

US population: 330M

Platinum: 1M (0.30%)

Not to mention that they don't count singles' streams towards album sales. 200k sounds more plausible

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.