No female has topped BR this century. Why?

biblicalmonster

Mr. Yoso
Just now, Edit0rz said:

As one of the few monster's in this thread that is not trolling and trying to be unbiased as possible I would like to just point out that Billie owes a large part of her success to Gaga and the doors she opened for her. Billies entire esthetic and persona during that era was highly influenced by Gaga's early image. I also don't think Bury a friend or Bad Guy will be any less "jokey" in 10 years than BR is now.

You're delusional. Billie's biggest inspiration would be Avril Lavigne and Bjork. No one looks up to that fad, maybe Ava Max? lol 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• biblicalmonster

• Edit0rz

• L.B GAGA

• Earth Ripper

Earth Ripper
1 minute ago, Edit0rz said:

As one of the few monster's in this thread that is not trolling and trying to be unbiased as possible I would like to just point out that Billie owes a large part of her success to Gaga and the doors she opened for her. Billies entire esthetic and persona during that era was highly influenced by Gaga's early image. I also don't think Bury a friend or Bad Guy will be any less "jokey" in 10 years than BR is now.

Just like everyone noted Gaga owed a large part of her success to Madonna, Bowie, Grace Jones,... I guess. No one creates pop music in a vaccuum. Personally I see way more hip hop influence in Billie than Gaga style theatrics but... I guess it kinda makes sense from a superficial pov.

It's possible those songs won't be as respected as they are now, that's true. But since this thread is about who topped BR, I still think it's a good candidate. Thanks for not trolling though :hug:

Earth Ripper
1 minute ago, L.B GAGA said:

In what universe did Billie Elish top Gaga's debut. Sis just quit the delusion, her impact was minuscule. Her sales are low in comparison to Gaga's debut, even her cultural impact was less than Gaga's. 

Literally even Ariana overshadows Billie in impact.

Erm... I dunno, have you looked at her numbers lol. She's still SLAYING with that era today :deadbanana:  That album is just confirmed to have sold double the amount of Chromatica this year. if that's minuscule impact, then who is having impact rn?

I'd say she topped BR in terms of critical and public acclaim (easily), she actually won three Grammy's for the album, Bad Guy won more major Grammy's, it was also the most successful song of the year internationally, and the era's certifications went through the roof. For a pop star making music that wasn't necessarily radio friendly in a formulaic sense (vs. Gaga's Europop inspired dance hits), I'd say that's extremely impressive. Time will tell what happens next but I'd say it's at least a good contender for something that's at least equivalent to BR.

13 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

Just like everyone noted Gaga owed a large part of her success to Madonna, Bowie, Grace Jones,... I guess. No one creates pop music in a vaccuum. Personally I see way more hip hop influence in Billie than Gaga style theatrics but... I guess it kinda makes sense from a superficial pov.

It's possible those songs won't be as respected as they are now, that's true. But since this thread is about who topped BR, I still think it's a good candidate. Thanks for not trolling though :hug:

Of course, the Madonna comparisons never bothered me. They are too obvious to deny and if you are going to get inspiration from someone why not the biggest female pop of all time? She used to wear a Bowie lightning bolt on her face and Grace Jones inspired hooded leotard for F's sake. She has stated she studied Madonna and pop culture religiously before making it, there is no harm in that. And all art is recycled and repurposed, especially pop.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Yoso said:

You're delusional. Billie's biggest inspiration would be Avril Lavigne and Bjork. No one looks up to that fad, maybe Ava Max? lol 

I'm not delusional. Billie is very much molded in the image of early Gaga, it's the only reason she has the "weird" music videos, performances and "dark" persona. I'm not saying Billie chose that for herself but Interscope and her creative team absolutely used '09-'11 Gaga as her template more so than any other artist.

How is Gaga a Fad compared to Avril and Bjork? 

Edited by Edit0rz
Added
biblicalmonster
40 minutes ago, Alexz said:

BR couldn’t even outpeak Tik Tok back when Gaga was popular :lmao:

I don't care, BR is more iconic

32 minutes ago, biblicalmonster said:

Their SPS according to ChartMasters:

Roar - 17,196,220

Bad Romance - 17,131,466 

Thanks for proving my point? lol.

You forgot to mention that Katy's number was updated last June of 2019 while Gaga's number was updated last week. :rip: Also this figure includes inflated ringtones sales, which is an industry that peaked in 2009-2011 but completely vanished by 2014. Chartmasters made an article about it, use that site as an opportunity to educate yourself rather than jerking off to Gaga's numbers.

tenor.gif

Views in 2020

Roar: 260m 

Bad Romance: 160m 

Keep trying! 

Edited by Jjang
let me edit again yaaaaaa yuh
L.B GAGA
Just now, Earth Ripper said:

Erm... I dunno, have you looked at her numbers lol. She's still SLAYING with that era today :deadbanana:  That album is just confirmed to have sold double the amount of Chromatica this year. if that's minuscule impact, then who is having impact rn?

I'd say she topped BR in terms of critical and public acclaim (easily), she actually won three Grammy's for the album, Bad Guy won more major Grammy's, it was also the most successful song of the year internationally, and the era's certifications went through the roof. For a pop star making music that wasn't necessarily radio friendly in a formulaic sense (vs. Gaga's Europop inspired dance hits), I'd say that's extremely impressive. Time will tell what happens next but I'd say it's at least a good contender for something that's at least equivalent to BR.

:biblio:Chromatica? We've jumped from comparing debuts to later eras. Get out of here with the shifting of goal posts. Public acclaim Gaga had a massive acceptance than your fave ever will during her debut.  Say something when your fave is past her 3rd era. Your fave's debut is a mouse impact in comparison to Gaga. Go back in time and make your fave release monsters like PF and JD and massive top 10's like  paparazzi,love game. Your fave's debut can swim with love game. Now bye and try again. 

Rhiannon
3 hours ago, Hot Volcano said:

Bitch please :

Daily streams

Spotify

Bad Romance : 492,971,013 (+429,478)

Youtube

Bad Romance : 1,320,852,270 (+559,940)

it's easily one of the most remembered female classics of all time :ahh:

i love facts :clap3:

These pathetic OGHs lost it :deadbanana2:They will deny everything about Gaga's success, they're shameless omg :ahh:

Edited by Rhiannon
Earth Ripper
1 minute ago, Edit0rz said:

I'm not delusional. Billie is very much molded in the image of early Gaga, it's the only reason she has the "weird" music videos, performances and "dark" persona. I'm not saying Billie chose that for herself but Interscope and her creative team absolutely used '09-'11 Gaga as her template more so than any other artist.

Hmm... Gaga never had a dark persona though. She had two dark-ish goth inspired mv's (BR and Alejandro) but that's kind of it. Gaga was not known for the stuff Billie became known for if that makes sense, which is why it's a weird argument.

I agree with @Mr. Yoso that Björk is actually a much better candidate to compare her mv's to, I just think people don't think of that 'cause Björk's music videos aren't very well known. A few examples:

Billie's mv's are a lot more art directed than Gaga's ever were. It's really a completely different style. I genuinely don't see the resemblances while I can easily see them with hip hop artists, Björk, etc.

biblicalmonster
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Jjang said:

You forgot to mention that Katy's number was updated last June of 2019 while Gaga's number was updated last week. :rip: Also this figure includes inflated ringtones figure, which is an industry that peaked in 2009-2011 but completely vanished by 2014. Chartmasters made an article about it, use that site as an opportunity to educate yourself rather than jerking off to Gaga's numbers.

tenor.gif

Views in 2020

Roar: 260m 

Bad Romance: 160m 

Keep trying! 

Ringtones dominated in 2009-2011 just as streams began to have a huge impact on charts and IFPI afterwards 2011. :rip:

One album sale = 1,500 Spotify streams / 11,750 YouTube views

BR is always ahead of Katy's songs by an interval of 100k streams. In other words, Gaga's songs are selling MORE. This is the most important element in the end.

2. 2009 – Lady Gaga  Bad Romance [The Fame / The Fame Monster]  7,100,000

1. 2013 – Katy Perry  Roar [Prism]  3,940,000

Edited by biblicalmonster
Earth Ripper
2 minutes ago, L.B GAGA said:

:biblio:Chromatica? We've jumped from comparing debuts to later eras. Get out of here with the shifting of goal posts. Public acclaim Gaga had a massive acceptance than your fave ever will during her debut.  Say something when your fave is past her 3rd era. Your fave's debut is a mouse impact in comparison to Gaga. Go back in time and make your fave release monsters like PF and JD and massive top 10's like  paparazzi,love game. Your fave's debut can swim with love game. Now bye and try again. 

I'm just referring to its numbers this year, using Chrom as a comparison to indicate she's still somehow convincing people to buy her album long after her radio peak period. We can compare Billie's last album to TFM too, it would be the exact same argument lol. Her sales are far more impressive for an artist who's not catering to radio/club culture.

Billie is not my fav btw lol. It's literally just comparing sales, certifications, awards, and accolades, but go off, I guess, you're clearly very frustrated about something.

Rhiannon
58 minutes ago, Jjang said:

A 500k lead in sales does not compensate for the fact that it's behind in 2 billion views and 100m streams (240m in DH's case) :rip:

Bad Romance went viral on TikTok a while ago, that's why it got a boost. You're nothing but delusional if you don't think Katy won't have a viral moment with Roar/DH at one point it's literally not that hard. Material Girl (a 1985 song) was getting 350k daily updates in 2019 when it went it viral there. 

Not using the "parent album" bull**** method :rip: According to that method Like A Virgin is bigger than All I Want For Christmas Is You. :rip:

Moral of the story is:

Gaga has 500k more sales, Katy has 2 + billion more streams. Give it up, deliishis! 

Sis your obsession is something else, just give up :rip:

"Bad Romance went viral on TikTok a while ago, that's why it got a boost." :priceless:

_

OT: well, Bad Romance is pop perfection + the last iconic pop classic of our times:ihype:

biblicalmonster
54 minutes ago, Alexz said:

Umbrella, We Found Love, Diamonds, Love The Way You Lie?

No

1 minute ago, biblicalmonster said:

Ringtones dominated in 2009-2011 just as streams began to have a huge impact on charts and IFPI afterwards 2011. :rip:

One album sale = 1,500 Spotify streams / 11,750 YouTube views

BR is always ahead of Katy's songs by an interval of 100k streams. In other words, Gaga's songs are selling MORE. This is the most important element in the end.

But they dominated simultaneously with digital sales (iTunes etc.) while streaming dominated at the expense of the digital era. They went hand in hand so it was more of an "added" medium to the industry and it's all pretty damn meaningless now. I remember in 2011 ringtone sales were at like 400m while in 2013-2014 they already fell to 20-50m. That field was extremely short lived and you cannot compare it to the streaming era. Get a grip. 

Also I love how you just got caught using dated figures for Katy in order to make Gaga's look better :rip:

6 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

Hmm... Gaga never had a dark persona though. She had two dark-ish goth inspired mv's (BR and Alejandro) but that's kind of it. Gaga was not known for the stuff Billie became known for if that makes sense, which is why it's a weird argument.

I agree with @Mr. Yoso that Björk is actually a much better candidate to compare her mv's to, I just think people don't think of that 'cause Björk's music videos aren't very well known. A few examples:

Billie's mv's are a lot more art directed than Gaga's ever were. It's really a completely different style. I genuinely don't see the resemblances while I can easily see them with hip hop artists, Björk, etc.

Everything from Pokerface through Judas except Eh Eh (whenever that was) was "dark" and or "weird". I don't think Billie is a copy but to deny the influence or that Interscope marketed her in the image of Gaga more so than Bjork or Avril is delusion.

biblicalmonster
4 minutes ago, Jjang said:

But they dominated simultaneously with digital sales (iTunes etc.) while streaming dominated at the expense of the digital era. They went hand in hand so it was more of an "added" medium to the industry and it's all pretty damn meaningless now. I remember in 2011 ringtone sales were at like 400m while in 2013-2014 they already fell to 20-50m. That field was extremely short lived and you cannot compare it to the streaming era. Get a grip. 

Also I love how you just got caught using dated figures for Katy in order to make Gaga's look better :rip:

Whatever, Gaga's songs are outdoing Katy's in the main ranking by a considerable margin

Earth Ripper
Just now, Edit0rz said:

Everything from Pokerface through Judas except Eh Eh (whenever that was) was "dark" and or "weird". I don't think Billie is a copy but to deny the influence or that Interscope marketed her in the image of Gaga more so than Bjork or Avril is delusion.

But Billie was never marketed to be "weird" or "avant-garde". Gaga was marketed as the perfect ironic pop star who was the next Madonna and would blend pop artifice with an artistic sensibility and high fashion couture. None of that fits Billie's brand :huh:

I mean we literally know that Justin Lubliner, who signed her to Interscope, modelled her after Chance the Rapper and Travis Scott :rip: He said it explicitly and it makes perfect sense. Other critics have noted that it's probable she was inspired more by Lana's early work since she also blended hip hop inspired sounds with a "sad", melancholic sound.

Again, I feel like it only makes sense if you don't think about it lol. If you really start to look for connections between her and Gaga you literally find nothing.

The fact that this thread has five pages shows that it worked.

OP succeeded at their job at trolling and you all fell for it. :clap3:

6 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

I'm just referring to its numbers this year, using Chrom as a comparison to indicate she's still somehow convincing people to buy her album long after her radio peak period. We can compare Billie's last album to TFM too, it would be the exact same argument lol. Her sales are far more impressive for an artist who's not catering to radio/club culture.

Billie is not my fav btw lol. It's literally just comparing sales, certifications, awards, and accolades, but go off, I guess, you're clearly very frustrated about something.

To even compare the TFM with your fave is an even bigger insult. Where were you during those eras? Narnia. Whatever viral events you feel, like Trump's capitol madness. Gaga was close to those viral events with each video debut. Her tour even sparked protests in some countries. Educate yourself and quit embarrassing yourself.

Now bye. Quit it, with the disrespect. 

If Ariana's impact was more felt than Billies. How in hell's name do you compare her to Gaga's debut? Or even her second album TFM. :biblio: Where is Billie's full package artistic cultural video and song? Her BR, her Alejandro, her Telephone?

3 hours ago, biblicalmonster said:

Uhm... any problem :ryan2:

Maybe  you could suggest a Rihanna song that can compete with BR.

Umbrella, an actual #1 song, outstreaming BR altho it's 3 years older

image0.gif

Earth Ripper
Just now, L.B GAGA said:

To even compare the TFM with your fave is an even bigger insult. Where were you during those eras? Narnia.

I was being a LM actually, so I know what I'm talking about.

Just now, L.B GAGA said:

Gaga was close to those viral events with each video debut. Her tour even sparked protests in some countries. Educate yourself and quit embarrassing yourself.

But since when are hyped up music videos a golden standard for determining someone's impact as a music artist lol. Yes, the music video craze worked well for Gaga and it was a fantastic tool to sustain her momentum (for a while) but that's not good enough to keep bringing up as proof that she's still "untouchable" or whatever. The industry has changed. Music videos aren't that central to how we experience music anymore. We have to look at other factors, streaming especially.

It's also more than a little ironic since Katy became better known for her music videos (also the ones released much later than Gaga's most famous ones) in the end anyway, and Billie's mv's are some of the only noteworthy ones made by pop stars rn but ok, that's just a side note.

3 minutes ago, L.B GAGA said:

If Ariana's impact was more felt than Billies. How in hell's name do you compare her to Gaga's debut? Or even her second album TFM. :biblio: Where is Billie's full package artistic cultural video and song? Her BR, her Alejandro, her Telephone?

What impact are you talking about though? I love Ariana but I have no idea what you're talking about. How are they even comparable.

Again, the industry has changed. A song doesn't need to have an iconic music video anymore to be... iconic. You're living in the past. It's dumb.

1 minute ago, Earth Ripper said:

But Billie was never marketed to be "weird" or "avant-garde". Gaga was marketed as the perfect ironic pop star who was the next Madonna and would blend pop artifice with an artistic sensibility and high fashion couture. None of that fits Billie's brand :huh:

I mean we literally know that Justin Lubliner, who signed her to Interscope, modelled her after Chance the Rapper and Travis Scott :rip: He said it explicitly and it makes perfect sense. Other critics have noted that it's probable she was inspired more by Lana's early work since she also blended hip hop inspired sounds with a "sad", melancholic sound.

Again, I feel like it only makes sense if you don't think about it lol. If you really start to look for connections between her and Gaga you literally find nothing.

Sonically I agree, she is not similar to Gaga and much influenced by Lana. From my perspective as a Gaga fan and casual listener of Billie the visuals for YSSMIAC, Bury and BG we're very reminiscent of dark Gaga at her height. As a fan I may see it more but I would certainly assume her record label (Gaga's record label) were trying to market Billie in the niche Gaga left when she turned more AC.

I also do not believe they were trying to market a pop girl like Billie as they would a Rapper. She may wear their clothes but the videos, performances and marketing scream Gaga'esque to me.

biblicalmonster
16 minutes ago, Schhh said:

:rip:

The song feels forgotten and dated.

420k+ recurring streams on Spotify and +500k daily YouTube views. 

Bad Romance was named the best video of the century by Billboard critics not a long time ago. Also the best video of the decade by a Billboard poll, therefore voted the public. Demi, a MUSICIAN let believe that Bad Romance was an indestructible video.

17 minutes ago, L.B GAGA said:

If Ariana's impact was more felt than Billies. How in hell's name do you compare her to Gaga's debut?

What impact? Billie’s debut is bigger than anything Ariana has ever put out :sorry: And Billie clear inspirations came from hip/hop, Avril, and Lorde. She has never cited Gaga because there’s nothing she’s inspired from :sorry: