Is 'GIRL LIKE ME' not bombing a good sign for Shakira?

alestevens

alestevens

When i first heard it i was sure it was going to be a massive bomb :skull:

It suddenly becoming a Youtube smash and doing good on Spotify makes me wonder what's in store for her next era. Does she have it in her to serve another era as big as El Dorado? Hope we get to know it soon!

unclefloprry

El dorado was “big” bc she playlisted the Album like Zara, Dua... :giraffe:

alestevens
3 minutes ago, unclefloprry said:

This is just not true lol. Chantaje didnt even get a high placement on TTH despite the song being Top 15 on Global Spotify. It was the first Spanish song to truly smash on Spotify, right before Despacito changed the musical landscape forever. And that was the best received single off the campaign internationally. If she received the playlisting she truly deserved it would have been even bigger!

vuelve88

Yes. Imagine if it were a good song. It would be doing even better. 

The key is that she put some effort into the music video by actually hiring a choreographer. So much better than the videos where all she does is look pretty on camera (“Me Gusta” :monkey:). 

alestevens
4 minutes ago, vuelve88 said:

Yes. Imagine if it were a good song. It would be doing even better. 

The key is that she put some effort into the music video by actually hiring a choreographer. So much better than the videos where all she does is look pretty on camera (“Me Gusta” :monkey:). 

Me Gusta is tragic in every way. I thought she lost her cool factor for a lil minute when it underperformed. But the Superbowl and Girl Like Me seem to show she still has it in her to smash with the kids. But im gonna need a lead single with a proper rollout, i want to see which extent they're willing to go to keep her on top!

2 hours ago, unclefloprry said:

Not true, Shakira is just a streaming monster. For example, her 90s Spanish album is one of the most streamed of that decade, she was the first artist to have songs with 100M+ streams from 4 different decades after Eminem, etc. :giraffe:

JustHoran

I hate it and love her, wish she would do good music again.

OT: Yes, it's good sign obviously. Hopefully she can smash with a good song.

it’s terrible sign, song is completely atrocious and GP liking it will inspire her to release even more of that type of garbage 

izzyinsane

The song is terrible. Especially that annoying ass witchy moan she does in the song “Ah-ah-ah, you're lookin' for”. :rip:

aesthetic bih

The song is kinda good :jamming: Until she let out that devilish cat scream :skull:

• #FreeBritney Activist
Erreur2 La Nature
Posted (edited)

The song has not entered the chart of any important music market (US, UK, Germany, France, etc) :rip: Shakira always gets YT views. This is not saving the song. 

Edited by Erreur2 La Nature
superben

When the pandemic dies out and sport events can resume next year, the World Cup would again be the most hyped event of the year, and if Shakira releases a song which a sports anthem vibe (even if it's not directly linked with FIFA), she would certainly have another smash, which would 100% be in the top 10 of the decade (WW).

I thought she was gonna enter her flop era after Me Gusta. :rip: (yeah, I know she was acclaimed for the SB, but still)

GLM, as terrible as it may be, proves the public is still here for her. Imagine if she comes out with a La Tortura-type lead featuring Bad Bunny. :jonny2:

2 hours ago, izzyinsane said:

Especially that annoying ass witchy moan she does in the song “

1 hour ago, aesthetic bih said:

Until she let out that devilish cat scream :skull:

lollll

the video has a cute aesthetic and she looks good, but yes the song is not good whatsoever  

1 hour ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

The song has not entered the chart of any important music market (US, UK, Germany, France, etc) :rip: Shakira always gets YT views. This is not saving the song. 

The song is charting in France and it's currently in the top 30 on Spotify (it peaked at #18 a few days ago). It's also growing in Mexico and Brazil, which are on par with many countries of the European market :pancake:

• #FreeBritney Activist

It's addicting

imo it's going to be pretty successful lol

Underdogs

Shakira is still a massive global superstar & her latin following ensures that she'll remain a streaming force.

Bloodflowers.

I am not surprised because I knew this song is unique and catchy :jonny5:

the GP is ready for another English album era! They are HUNGRY!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 5:59 AM, ATWK said:

I thought she was gonna enter her flop era after Me Gusta. :rip: (yeah, I know she was acclaimed for the SB, but still)

GLM, as terrible as it may be, proves the public is still here for her. Imagine if she comes out with a La Tortura-type lead featuring Bad Bunny. :jonny2:

A collab with Bad Bunny is really likely to happen, personally I would love her to collaborate with The Weeknd for the next era, I think their voices would sound so good together :jonny5:

On 1/9/2021 at 7:18 AM, Riot said:

The song is charting in France and it's currently in the top 30 on Spotify (it peaked at #18 a few days ago). It's also growing in Mexico and Brazil, which are on par with many countries of the European market :pancake:

It also entered the Billboard hot 100, and it's still growing in some markets

On 1/9/2021 at 11:52 AM, Bloodflowers. said:

I am not surprised because I knew this song is unique and catchy :jonny5:

the GP is ready for another English album era! They are HUNGRY!

Not sure she is going full english album soon, the last one she released was a great album and still underperformed, and her latinamerican success is non-stop, so I believe she will stay on reggaeton for a while with maybe only a couple english tracks