Is Madonna respected by the GP or they see her as a joke?

Is Madonna respected?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Is Madonna respected?

• No at all.
    • Not as her peers are.
    • Yes, they love her.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangerInTheDark

• Jjang

• Earth Ripper

• C.Damen

Shes been a joke since 2015 

Still A legend though, ppl wil remember her for the good old days in the future, not her post hard candy self .

But right now shes a joke. 

Earth Ripper

It's an ebb and flow situation tbh, it really depends on wider cultural moods. I think right now she's in a pretty good spot though. I think a lot of young people are more (vaguely) aware of her achievements than they were, say, in the early 00s.

She deserves a lot more respect though :coffee2:

KillingYourCareer

She's definitely seen as a joke by most people here where she's still very famous. She actively spent the past decade tarnishing her legacy, though.

KillingYourCareer
7 minutes ago, Yanko said:

Shes been a joke since 2015 

Still A legend though, ppl wil remember her for the good old days in the future, not her post hard candy self .

I think the last nail in the coffin was her Eurovision interval performance in Tel Aviv that 180 million people saw. Never have I seen a performance be ripped apart by critics and public alike in my lifetime, it was truly that horrendous. Nobody even talked about how she pulled out the Palestine flag at one point (which she thought would be the highlight and controversial part) from how bad it was.

Edited by KillingYourCareer

GP respect comes and goes. They hated MJ, they loved MJ. They hated Amy, they loved Amy. They hated Elvis, they loved Elvis. They hated Whitney, they loved Whitney. They even managed to love your precious Gaga again, remember? 

It's clear that the GP is easily swayed by Pop culture momentums, but rest assured, with someone like Madonna, who is the most critically acclaimed female artist of all time, a rock n roll hall of fame inductee and carries an unmatched legacy, it's hard to bet against her long term :)

Earth Ripper
11 minutes ago, Yanko said:

In what way though? Her album got very positive reviews and her last tour did really well too. She also got a ton of positive buzz for her upcoming biopic. I'm not getting that joke vibe that floated around during BIM anymore at all tbh.

willyogalvan

She used to have a lot of respect but she has tarnished her legacy a lot in the past couple years

willyogalvan

She used to have a lot of respect but she has tarnished her legacy a lot in the past couple years

HASHTAGPOW

She just needs to work with Ava Max’s producers and she’ll get the GP’s respect back :gaycat5:

14 minutes ago, Jjang said:

GP respect comes and goes. They hated MJ, they loved MJ. They hated Amy, they loved Amy. They hated Elvis, they loved Elvis. They hated Whitney, they loved Whitney. They even managed to love your precious Gaga again, remember? 

It's clear that the GP is easily swayed by Pop culture momentums, but rest assured, with someone like Madonna, who is the most critically acclaimed female artist of all time, a rock n roll hall of fame inductee and carries an unmatched legacy, it's hard to bet against her long term :)

This, watch when she dies (knock on wood) the media will show various interviews sainting the woman of her impact & legacy in the music industry... 

Edited by Yog
pxxxtrick

The GP doesn’t think about Madonna and hasn’t in years except the time she said she’d blow up the White House. 

Don't Stop Me Now

She’s not respected as a person, but her artistry and musical contributions will always have respect.

Darkgalord
1 minute ago, pxxxtrick said:

The GP doesn’t think about Madonna and hasn’t in years except the time she said she’d blow up the White House. 

:cm:

GoodGuyGoneGhetto

Honestly, as a genuine stan...

It’s a combination of all three.

Her public perception, since 2015, has drastically dwindled.

Her legacy is, of course, still intact and always will be as that can’t be taken away but her status isn’t as admired or revered as other legends from her era, dead or alive. Circa. 2008-2012 she was on the right path and had she remained consistent then things could have been different but alas. To me, it feels that she’s often disrespected on/across social media and she’s always made to appear to be the “least talented” of her peers which is upsetting considering all that she’s done and paved the way for.

It also feel as though she is only commonly referenced by predominantly Gay men/stans.

That said...

Madonna has always done things her way and she has never truly cared about public opinion and I believe most know that hence why she isn’t, constantly, demeaned in the media as much these days and that’s worked for and against her favour. I can’t see her going on a PR campaign to have her be seen in a more positive light, by anyone, so we take what she gives. 

I do want her to release a stellar album this decade however or do something that puts her at the forefront again. 

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto
Don't Stop Me Now

She’s not respected as a person, but her artistry and musical contributions will always have respect.

BrooklynBoy
35 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Love & hate is not the same as respect. They hated Michael & Whitney, but respected the talent they had at their peaks.... Madonna has never been as respected as them, even thought she was extremely popular...... (much in the way Britney was huge, but never truly respected. But, I feel as though Madonna garnered respect for her longevity).

wanderlust
2 minutes ago, BrooklynBoy said:

Love & hate is not the same as respect. They hated Michael & Whitney, but respected the talent they had at their peaks.... Madonna has never been as respected as them, even thought she was extremely popular...... (much in the way Britney was huge, but never truly respected. But, I feel as though Madonna garnered respect for her longevity).

You couldnt be more wrong. the britney comparison shows you don't know.

she got massive respect as the ARTIST for Evita, ROL, Music.. even AL and LAP. she was basically the female bowie.

BrooklynBoy
2 minutes ago, wanderlust said:

You couldnt be more wrong. the britney comparison shows you don't know.

she got massive respect as the ARTIST for Evita, ROL, Music.. even AL and LAP. she was basically the female bowie.

She never got as much RESPECT from the GO as the artists that were mentioned. 

She's respected in the real world. 

I'm still amazed by the huge amount of headlines she got for her 60th birthday. 

Just do the research. 

1 minute ago, BrooklynBoy said:

Between 2005-2015 alone, she sold over 8 million concert tickets and grossed $1.3 billion dollars. Just in 2020 she grossed $10 million from 26k tickets in London from theater shows. Surface level GP appreciation will not give you such an imperial touring presence. 

Britney could not even achieve half of that in the same time period. So no, clearly, they're not viewed as the same to the GP. 

6 minutes ago, BrooklynBoy said:

She never got as much RESPECT from the GO as the artists that were mentioned. 

But how can you measure That in the first place? 

Is there some kind of metric for "respect"? 

Earth Ripper
19 minutes ago, BrooklynBoy said:

She gained respect for pushing boundaries, innovating/creating what it means to be a female pop star, supporting racial and sexual minorities when it was not cool to do, fighting ageism through her work and physical performances,... No one's ever gonna wake up and respect Madonna for her voice. We're dealing with two different kinds of respect here.

I actually feel like MJ and Whitney received more love than respect tbh. Esp nowadays having talent is fun but people seem more interested in what you did with it. Singing a bunch of songs is great, but it's possible Madonna's list of achievements will inspire far more respect than MJ's and Whitney's in the end, even though it's less "superstar" friendly. She just can't be compared to figures like that in general.