Gaga vs. Ariana - Better Singer?

Who is the more capable vocalist?   

284 members have voted

1. 1. ATRL decides

• Ariana Grande
    • Lady Gaga

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Edit0rz said:

I prefer Gaga but I can certainly see the argument for Ariana. When you are at their level it is preffrence. 

Ariana mostly does one thing and does it very well and to a high ability. She knows what works for her and has a particular sound she sticks to. There is absolutely nothing wrong with knowing your strengths and leaning into them.

Gaga is by far the better vocal chameleon and vocal actress. She does not always sound pleasant and is inconsistent but it is more interesting and entertaining to me. People sometimes want to group Gaga in with other mainstream singers but she is much more akin to musical theatre. When you listen to Gaga sing she is leading with emotion and performance, and will sacrifice technique in the process. Her voice is also much more powerful than Ari who sounds quiet without a mic. 

Can we please stop with this myth that Gaga is the only artist in the universe that has a voice that extend over to multiple genres? It's getting real tired. 

I don't even think that that's a solid argument. Not that this applies to Ariana in any case, but, In my book, someone who mastered one technique to the max (Ariana's creativity when it comes to harmonizing, vocal layering, agility and runs is currently the best in the business) is far more impressive than someone who tried 1000 different technique with a sea of objective flaws. That's why when it's all said and done, Ariana totally blew Gaga out of the water vocally when they performed together at the VMA's... which is a very ironic scene to witness since the monsters are so sure Gaga has the best technique in the industry. 

Edited by Jjang
fixed some typos thanks
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jjang

• Earth Ripper

• Sugden

• Si Hoo

ariananext

Versatility:

Enunciation and Vibrato:

Tone:

Lows:

Highs:

outtakes from her latest tour in London

love Gaga, but she just can't compete.

Edited by ariananext
upd

Both amazing vocalist but Gaga's tone isn't as pleasing as before. I don't know why she kept forcing that tone. Her Shallow studio recording tone is great but those live vocals ain't it. 

NordicGuy

I would much rather listen to Ariana's ethereal mumbling than Gaga's artistic wailing.

Both are great technically so I’d give the edge to Ariana simply because of how angelic her voice is. Sometimes Gaga’s tone can be grating.  

anyways, both have amazing vocal talent. Not every Italian female pop star has that:heart:

12 minutes ago, ariananext said:

Versatility:

Enunciation and Vibrato:

Tone:

Lows:

Highs:

outtakes from her latest tour in London

love Gaga, but she just can't compete.

Don't forget this effortlessly angelic performance 

ariananext
1 minute ago, Jjang said:

Don't forget this effortlessly angelic performance 

the BBC is one of her best concerts ever, it's a shame she can't shine as much when she's at big awards. Better off / goodnight n go / god is a woman / one last time literally every song that night was incredibly sung tbh 

ariananext
26 minutes ago, Sugden said:

Even her fans know she lipsyncs high notes, is not a crime but is true. There is literally proof everywhere.

Human voice doesn't work like this, you just don't sound the exact same during 100 shows is not realistic.

not videos from 2013-2015 omg :deadbanana2: Ariana had many bad performances in those years, but she's been at her vocal peak and getting better and better since 2016, I don't remember one single bad performance from SWT. 

Thinking Of You
1 hour ago, Yanko said:

The narrative that gaga ruined her voice is another tragic attemp by the delusional group of OGH who live in their own bubble and do nothing but circle jerk 24/7 on pop forums.

The answer is gaga. 

She did though. No one told her to change her tone into a 1940s lounge singer...

5 minutes ago, ariananext said:

not videos from 2013-2015 omg :deadbanana2: Ariana had many bad performances in those years, but she's been at her vocal peak and getting better and better since 2016, I don't remember one single bad performance from SWT. 

Very true. 

Ariana circa 2013-2015 is simply not the same Ariana we have today. She improved immensely while pretty much 75% of Gaga's performances the past 3 years have been fundamentally flawed. 

Ethereaaal

Can the OP at least make an effort to appear unbiased when making a POLL? Otherwise, just make a thread stating your opinion how Ari is the better singer. 

So ridiculous. :juanny:

KillingYourCareer

I prefer Gaga's voice over Ariana's, whose vocals are very thin. On a technical level, Gaga is great, but Ariana has made massive steps in improving her initially poor technique - you can tell she cares a lot about the wellbeing of her vocal cords. Sure, Ariana has a much wider range, but that's only a fraction of being the 'better singer'.

43 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Can we please stop with this myth that Gaga is the only artist in the universe that has a voice that extend over to multiple genres? It's getting real tired. 

I don't even think that that's a solid argument. Not that this applies to Ariana in any case, but, In my book, someone who mastered one technique to the max (Ariana's creativity when it comes to harmonizing, vocal layering, agility and runs is currently the best in the business) is far more impressive than someone who tried 1000 different technique with a sea of objective flaws. That's why when it's all said and done, Ariana totally blew Gaga out of the water vocally when they performed together at the VMA's... which is a very ironic scene to witness since the monsters are so sure Gaga has the best technique in the industry. 

I'm not calling you wrong and I see where you are coming from, I think most people would agree Ariana is the more impressive vocalist, she has a higher placed register and her high notes are impressive. I do not think Gaga is the only one with a versatile voice but I think she has the most versatile voice of ANY mainstream artist recorded. Ariana always sounds like herself and uses a similar technique unless doing an impression, singing a different style of music does not mean you have vocal diversity. Gaga is able to use many different techniques at a high level and molds her voice in a way to bring something unique to eachbsong. I also believe Gaga is the better interpreter of emotion while singing, but like I said she sometimes misses the mark and is more inconsistent.

13 minutes ago, Ethereaaal said:

Can the OP at least make an effort to appear unbiased when making a POLL? Otherwise, just make a thread stating your opinion how Ari is the better singer. 

So ridiculous. :juanny:

Someone's mad Ariana is winning. 

13 minutes ago, KillingYourCareer said:

I prefer Gaga's voice over Ariana's, whose vocals are very thin. On a technical level, Gaga is great, but Ariana has made massive steps in improving her initially poor technique - you can tell she cares a lot about the wellbeing of her vocal cords. Sure, Ariana has a much wider range, but that's only a fraction of being the 'better singer'.

Ariana has a wider range and better control, that's the difference. Again, did you watch the VMA's performance or do you guys just automatically mentally block it as a defense mechanism? Idgi. 

KillingYourCareer
2 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Ariana has a wider range and better control, that's the difference. Again, did you watch the VMA's performance or do you guys just automatically mentally block it as a defense mechanism? Idgi. 

I never watched it, but I'm not surprised Gaga's breath control has deteriorated as she's a smoker, while thankfully Ariana won't touch cigarettes.

ariananext
29 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Very true. 

Ariana circa 2013-2015 is simply not the same Ariana we have today. She improved immensely while pretty much 75% of Gaga's performances the past 3 years have been fundamentally flawed. 

tea, she improved so much during 2015/2016, for example her break free performances were awful during my everything promo tour, then she went on the actual tour and the break free performances were great, especially by the end of 2015, when she did the focus/halloween vevo she had improved a whole lot 

Just now, KillingYourCareer said:

I never watched it, but I'm not surprised Gaga's breath control has deteriorated as she's a smoker, while thankfully Ariana won't touch cigarettes.

I can argue that Ariana beat her on every front. Better support, better breath control, better tone, used her voice on a much greater capacity, effortless agility and perfectly timed runs (vs. Gaga's freak out x4 ones at the piano which objectively flopped) etc... 

The only time Gaga might shine over Ariana is when she does rock covers in the vein of If I Ever Lose My Faith in You, but other than that, Ariana is purely out of her league. 

AllyGayTor

Not y’all basing Gaga’s vocals off of the VMAs in her Bane mask... She’s obviously not vocally consistent like Ari when it comes to concerts. But Gaga definitely has more technique and vocal versatility no matter what videos y’all nitpick 

2 hours ago, Yanko said:

The narrative that gaga ruined her voice is another tragic attemp by the delusional group of OGH who live in their own bubble and do nothing but circle jerk 24/7 on pop forums.

The answer is gaga. 

This. :toofunny3:

Obviously, it’s Gaga.

Oktober Knight

Anybody who says Gaga is clearly deaf or they're an OAH

18 minutes ago, AllyGayTor said:

Not y’all basing Gaga’s vocals off of the VMAs in her Bane mask... She’s obviously not vocally consistent like Ari when it comes to concerts. But Gaga definitely has more technique and vocal versatility no matter what videos y’all nitpick 

You do realize consistency has to do with technique, right? :coffee:

And what does "more technique" even mean :kitty: