Gaga vs. Ariana - Better Singer?

Who is the more capable vocalist?   

284 members have voted

1. 1. ATRL decides

• Ariana Grande
    • Lady Gaga

Earth Ripper
4 minutes ago, Chaos Angel said:

Gaga is technically better by quite a margin.

You guys have lost it :rip:

It might have seemed that way for a long time but come on. Just look at Gaga's performances of the last two years and compare them to Ari's. All Gaga has left is a lot of vocal power but her finesse is just... gone. Another illustration:

vs.

These are both of their versions of powerful high notes. It's extremely obvious who is more professional, technically agile, and worth paying for. And that's not even a debate (anymore).

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jjang

• Earth Ripper

• Sugden

• Si Hoo

5 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

Why though? The only thing she can do better than Ari is sing a growly rock song or whatever and she rarely uses that dimension of her voice, so... Ari's shown she can perform pop, R&B, emotional ballads, musical theater, jazz, funk, soul, and light opera, just at the top of my head. Gaga has done more flashy genre explorations but that doesn't make them vocally successful or interesting :coffee2:

Precisely. 

Can Gaga even do 5% of the harmonies and vocal routes Ariana does? 

This was Ari in 2015, at one of her lowest points vocally: 

Gaga at her supposed peak after receiving all the training in the world: 

Marry Illusion Glory
1 minute ago, Earth Ripper said:

This is from 2013, sis. Ari's improved a TON since then. And Gaga has basically ruined her voice since then too :toofunny3: See the videos posted above lol.

It's not :rip: They have updated it recently. Their descriptions are also updated. This site has totally LOST it :rip:

7 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Technically you're lying.

Funny you cherry-pick a video where she doesn't sound healthy. How about this one from two months ago? The blatant bias just to fit personal narratives and deranged obsessions :rip:

izzyinsane
13 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Technically you're lying.

WTF was that???? :rip:

2 minutes ago, Marry Illusion Glory said:

It's not :rip: They have updated it recently. Their descriptions are also updated. This site has totally LOST it :rip:

Funny you cherry-pick a video where she doesn't sound healthy. How about this one from two months ago? The blatant bias just to fit personal narratives and deranged obsessions :rip:

:rip: straight from pawsdownlittlemonsters :rip:

-

Gaga. 

Earth Ripper
3 minutes ago, Marry Illusion Glory said:

Dude... it literally says it was posted in April 2013 and there are absolutely no updates beyond DW. I mean: "Recommended Listenings: Emotions, The Way" Need I say more? :rip: Point is: we have to look at recent performance skills to decide this question. And has been imo clearly shown with recent videos so far, Ari blows Gaga out of the water. I recommend you react to the vids in question.

Chaos Angel
8 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Precisely. 

Can Gaga even do 5% of the harmonies and vocal routes Ariana does? 

This was Ari in 2015, at one of her lowest points vocally: 

Gaga at her supposed peak after receiving all the training in the world: 

Cherry picking videos where Ariana does good and Gaga does bad doesn’t prove your point. I can do the same thing the other way around. Ariana has a better range, good for her. But also, facts remains that Gaga has better breathe control, more supported belts, better versatility, more power, more emotion, a better lower register, etc. Any vocal critic can tel you that Gaga is the superior vocalist overall, regardless of what bad performances from her you dig up :rip:

Edited by Chaos Angel

Ariana has a perfect natural voice for pop music, but gaga is so much better technically is not even close.

Navyofbadgals
9 minutes ago, Marry Illusion Glory said:

Their most recent post on the site is in 2016 :deadbanana: and it’s obvious by the description that neither Gaga or Ariana have been updated recently 

INTOBISH

Ariana and its not even close.

We all witnessed Ariana eating Gaga up vocally on the VMAs stage last year.

Gaga was clearly drunk and/or high during most of her enigma shows :rip: like how can you not see it 

Marry Illusion Glory
5 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

I recommend you react to the vids in question.

And I recommend you to react to videos that are NOT cherry-picked and are most recent. Case in point, when she performed at the Biden event in November. Her technique is perfect, her lower register healthy, her vibrato full and resonant. And we aren't even going to go into the enunciation territory.

The blatant trolling that's going on here. Y'all are clearly bored :rip:

Edited by Marry Illusion Glory
Marry Illusion Glory
1 minute ago, INTOBISH said:

We all witnessed Ariana eating Gaga up vocally on the VMAs stage last year.

Eating Gaga up vocally when she hardly moved while singing while Gaga had performed two full and intensive choreography routines before that? And even then she was still able to somehow keep herself on par with her vocally after all the dancing? Yeah, right. :rip:

I mean why people even trying with this narrative when all the vocal coachs rate gaga almost perfectly when comes to vocal technique.

Ariana has a lot of problems starting with her horrible enunciation.

3 minutes ago, Marry Illusion Glory said:

This performance wasn't great though, what are you on person?

Point is, if Gaga truly is technically superior to Ariana then she wouldn't have hundreds of objectively bad vocal performances. Ariana has like, what, maximum of 2-3 actually bad performances? And most likely 'cause of her anxiety. Ariana has the better technique, by far. 

You'd never catch her doing something as embarrassing as this: 

Or this: 

Instead you catch her doing this:

Marry Illusion Glory
Just now, Jjang said:

Point is, if Gaga truly is technically superior to Ariana then she wouldn't have hundreds of objectively bad vocal performances. Ariana has like, what, maximum of 2-3 actually bad performances? And most likely 'cause of her anxiety. Ariana has the better technique, by far. 

Or this: 

Whatever you and others must think to convince yourselves by making up selective narratives, I guess :ahh:

The fact remains that Gaga remains a more versatile and more technically agile singer and performer with a better technique. Not to mention, perfect pitch, tone and most importantly, ENUNCIATION. There's no point of anything unless people don't understand whatever the hell you're singing about. Literally every single vocal coach acknowledges that. I'd take their analyses and critiques over bitter pop music stans and OGHs any day of the week. Thanks.  

5 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Or this: 

2 or 3 bad performances? lmaaaao

ariana has a **** ton of terrible perfomances were she is barely breathing

how the **** do you run out of breath singing tun? the song is almost spoken

i know you have this demented hate for gaga, but you can't bend reality

Edited by Sugden
Earth Ripper
4 minutes ago, Marry Illusion Glory said:

And I recommend you to react to videos that are NOT cherry-picked and are most recent. Case in point, when she performed at the Biden event in November. Her technique is perfect, her lower register healthy, her vibrato full and resonant. And we aren't even going to go into the enunciation territory.

The blatant trolling that's going on here. Y'all are clearly bored :rip:

Cherry picked? Darling, I can post videos from every. single. night. at Enigma/Jazz & Piano and find dozens of ****-ups. ****-UPS, not flaws. Completely missed notes, horrible technique, lack of breath support,... How can you explain that if she's so obviously technically better? :toofunny3: Like I said, I wouldn't have rated Ari a better singer if this was 2013 but recently her performances have blown me away while Gaga's made me cringe. That's not cherry picking. That's just looking at both performers and seeing who does better.

At this point I feel like LMs aren't even watching her performances anymore or something or they're not watching Ari's, one of the two. All you guys can post is Ari has pronunciation issues? Literally every YouTube vocal coach has commended her for fixing those like 2 years ago already, keep up :deadbanana:

Let's try again, random date pick from Enigma:

Random date pick from Sweetener:

Like come on dude.

Rhiannon
33 minutes ago, Marry Illusion Glory said:

Let's leave this to professionals instead of pop music stans and look at what they have to say about each.

Lady Gaga

Range: F#2 - G5 - C6 (E7)
Vocal Type: Lyric Mezzo-Soprano, though Contralto is a common but incorrect perception. (3 Octaves and 3 notes)
Vocal Rating: A

Reveal hidden contents

Positives:
A properly trained singer with great technique. Her belts are resonant and supported well, reaching up to G5 in early recordings, and up to F#5 in Do What U Want. She is capable of rapid firing high belts, (see the last chorus of Marry the Night). Her low notes are very dark and full, but can also mimic a talking voice. Her head voice can be thick with an operatic weight, or light and airy. The contrast in colors in her tone is impressive though her voice sits naturally with a darker tone.

Distinctive, unique vocal phrasing, that allows for her to communicate an array of emotions. Even though she is capable of singing a melisma, she does not overuse the technique to show her abilities. Great legato lines and respectable staccato ones as well. Ability to hold pitches for extended periods without wavering. Her voice can transcend through multiple genres, including balladry, dance/pop, country, jazz and rock. Her vibrato and placement are some of her strongest points. Her vibrato is wide, controlled with an operatic quality and is executed excellently. Her placement for her belts is becoming stronger over time, there is less strain on her D5's, Eb5's and E5's.

Negatives:
In her early career starting at D5, her belts were shouty and poorly mixed. She rarely uses her head voice live (at least above E5), and lacks projection in that area. After vocal coaching in 2014/2015, her issue mostly lies with mask placement and occasionally dropping support above C5.

https://criticofmusic.com/vocal-profile-lady-gaga

Ariana Grande

Range: D3 - B5 - E7
Vocal Type: Light-Lyric Soprano (4 octaves and a note)
Vocal Rating: B-

Reveal hidden contents

Positives:

A vocal actress, being able to mimic the tones and voices of Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera and Celine Dion.

Her lower register, though often weak and inconsistent (due to her high tessitura and breath support issues), is relatively strong for a soprano, supporting down to F#3 and extending to D3.

Her belts are achieved through mixing, having stretched up to Bb5's successfully; Grande also has no issue staying in the soprano tessitura for extended periods of time (see live performances of Break Free, Dangerous Woman and Focus). Her belting register as a whole is extensive and reaches up to an impressive B5. Capable of complex, fast melismas (see Hands on Me and Problem). A rolling vibrato can be heard in belts up to G#5 and as low as Bb3.

Her falsetto is light and sweet and is also where the voice finds its 'ring,' being bright and healthy up to Eb6. 

The whistle register is piercing, and the whistles don't have disconnected tones attached to them (polyphonic tones). She is able to sing vocal runs in this register (See Emotions).

Negatives:

The previously mentioned mixed belts generally lack power and the whistle register is not controlled (something she has admitted herself). Her slightly nasal and feminine tone is also polarizing. Her diction is unpolished, leaving her lyrics incomprehensible at points (see the bridge of Break Free) due to tongue tension. Grande also over activates muscles in her jaw - mostly while singing runs - furthering this tongue tension, which in turn changes the positioning of the larynx. Intonation live has proven to be a problem at points (around 2013), and the lower register sounds unsupported in most instances. Her support is also inconsistent, ranging from around G3-C#5, above C5/C#5 she raises her larynx.

https://criticofmusic.com/vocal-profile-ariana-grande

Love both but Lady Gaga wins here :gaygacat5:

There you have it:cm:

Both are good tho

Even miley has a better technique than ariana.

she is lucky her voice has a perfect placement for singing really high.

Chaos Angel
36 minutes ago, Marry Illusion Glory said:

Let's leave this to professionals instead of pop music stans and look at what they have to say about each.

Lady Gaga

Range: F#2 - G5 - C6 (E7)
Vocal Type: Lyric Mezzo-Soprano, though Contralto is a common but incorrect perception. (3 Octaves and 3 notes)
Vocal Rating: A

Reveal hidden contents

Positives:
A properly trained singer with great technique. Her belts are resonant and supported well, reaching up to G5 in early recordings, and up to F#5 in Do What U Want. She is capable of rapid firing high belts, (see the last chorus of Marry the Night). Her low notes are very dark and full, but can also mimic a talking voice. Her head voice can be thick with an operatic weight, or light and airy. The contrast in colors in her tone is impressive though her voice sits naturally with a darker tone.

Distinctive, unique vocal phrasing, that allows for her to communicate an array of emotions. Even though she is capable of singing a melisma, she does not overuse the technique to show her abilities. Great legato lines and respectable staccato ones as well. Ability to hold pitches for extended periods without wavering. Her voice can transcend through multiple genres, including balladry, dance/pop, country, jazz and rock. Her vibrato and placement are some of her strongest points. Her vibrato is wide, controlled with an operatic quality and is executed excellently. Her placement for her belts is becoming stronger over time, there is less strain on her D5's, Eb5's and E5's.

Negatives:
In her early career starting at D5, her belts were shouty and poorly mixed. She rarely uses her head voice live (at least above E5), and lacks projection in that area. After vocal coaching in 2014/2015, her issue mostly lies with mask placement and occasionally dropping support above C5.

https://criticofmusic.com/vocal-profile-lady-gaga

Ariana Grande

Range: D3 - B5 - E7
Vocal Type: Light-Lyric Soprano (4 octaves and a note)
Vocal Rating: B-

Reveal hidden contents

Positives:

A vocal actress, being able to mimic the tones and voices of Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera and Celine Dion.

Her lower register, though often weak and inconsistent (due to her high tessitura and breath support issues), is relatively strong for a soprano, supporting down to F#3 and extending to D3.

Her belts are achieved through mixing, having stretched up to Bb5's successfully; Grande also has no issue staying in the soprano tessitura for extended periods of time (see live performances of Break Free, Dangerous Woman and Focus). Her belting register as a whole is extensive and reaches up to an impressive B5. Capable of complex, fast melismas (see Hands on Me and Problem). A rolling vibrato can be heard in belts up to G#5 and as low as Bb3.

Her falsetto is light and sweet and is also where the voice finds its 'ring,' being bright and healthy up to Eb6. 

The whistle register is piercing, and the whistles don't have disconnected tones attached to them (polyphonic tones). She is able to sing vocal runs in this register (See Emotions).

Negatives:

The previously mentioned mixed belts generally lack power and the whistle register is not controlled (something she has admitted herself). Her slightly nasal and feminine tone is also polarizing. Her diction is unpolished, leaving her lyrics incomprehensible at points (see the bridge of Break Free) due to tongue tension. Grande also over activates muscles in her jaw - mostly while singing runs - furthering this tongue tension, which in turn changes the positioning of the larynx. Intonation live has proven to be a problem at points (around 2013), and the lower register sounds unsupported in most instances. Her support is also inconsistent, ranging from around G3-C#5, above C5/C#5 she raises her larynx.

https://criticofmusic.com/vocal-profile-ariana-grande

Love both but Lady Gaga wins here :gaygacat5:

I’m going with the word of the vocal critics on this one, not ATRL :cm:

3 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

Cherry picked? Darling, I can post videos from every. single. night. at Enigma/Jazz & Piano and find dozens of ****-ups. ****-UPS, not flaws. Completely missed notes, horrible technique, lack of breath support,... How can you explain that if she's so obviously technically better? :toofunny3: Like I said, I wouldn't have rated Ari a better singer if this was 2013 but recently her performances have blown me away while Gaga's made me cringe. That's not cherry picking. That's just looking at both performers and seeing who does better.

At this point I feel like LMs aren't even watching her performances anymore or something or they're not watching Ari's, one of the two. All you guys can post is Ari has pronunciation issues? Literally every YouTube vocal coach has commended her for fixing those like 2 years ago already, keep up :deadbanana:

Let's try again, random date pick from Enigma:

Random date pick from Sweetener:

Like come on dude.

They think this is a master class lol maybe in straining and going off key while literally in the same performance Ariana was technical perfection. 

1 minute ago, Chaos Angel said:

I’m going with the word of the vocal critics on this one, not ATRL :cm:

4 minutes ago, Rhiannon said:

There you have it:cm:

Both are good tho

Monsters using 8 year old receipts to justify a 2021 argument? Color me shocked. :cm: