• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jjang

• Earth Ripper

• Sugden

• Si Hoo

Both say Xtina's an inspiration for their singing but I'd say Ariana mimics her better. 

1 minute ago, xfreshkidxx said:

Both are good but I feel Gaga can do more with her voice. :gaygacat1:

Hmm, that surely wasn't the case in their VMA performance. 

suburbannature

Anyone voting Gaga is lying to themself or trolling. She’s incredibly limited in range and agility. Her tone has become very grating as well, but that’s more subjective. 

Earth Ripper

Ari, definitely. It might not have been so obvious during Gaga's peak but her technique and live stamina has improved amazingly over the last couple of years. She's punching out like 20+ spectacular high notes each night on tour, often going way beyond the high notes on her studio versions. She's probably the most reliable vocal live performer rn.

In the meantime Gaga declined like a mother****er. She can barely hit the studio notes on a regular night, even behind a piano these days. I don't know what the **** she's doing to her voice. Her Vegas performances have been a vocal trainwreck. At this point even Miley can beat her technically. She doesn't seem to give a **** anymore tbh.

perfillusion

Both are extraordinary vocalists which is rare in the industry nowadays but I will have to go with Lady Gaga

Edited by perfillusion

Ariana definitely has a technically better voice, but Gaga is a much better performer and more interesting to watch singing live

But I guess the better voice overall belongs to Ariana

99sandthe2000s

Ariana overall is the better singer to me and I like her sultry vocals and r&b style + riffs and runs. 

What Gaga was able to do in that Sound of Music tribute (technical skill) plus tracks like Speechless, Million Reasons and Shallow definitely prove she's also a strong vocalist.

2 minutes ago, Daydream said:

Technically it’s Gaga.

Technically you're lying.

Marry Illusion Glory

Let's leave this to professionals instead of pop music stans and look at what they have to say about each.

Lady Gaga

Range: F#2 - G5 - C6 (E7)
Vocal Type: Lyric Mezzo-Soprano, though Contralto is a common but incorrect perception. (3 Octaves and 3 notes)
Vocal Rating: A

Spoiler

Positives:
A properly trained singer with great technique. Her belts are resonant and supported well, reaching up to G5 in early recordings, and up to F#5 in Do What U Want. She is capable of rapid firing high belts, (see the last chorus of Marry the Night). Her low notes are very dark and full, but can also mimic a talking voice. Her head voice can be thick with an operatic weight, or light and airy. The contrast in colors in her tone is impressive though her voice sits naturally with a darker tone.

Distinctive, unique vocal phrasing, that allows for her to communicate an array of emotions. Even though she is capable of singing a melisma, she does not overuse the technique to show her abilities. Great legato lines and respectable staccato ones as well. Ability to hold pitches for extended periods without wavering. Her voice can transcend through multiple genres, including balladry, dance/pop, country, jazz and rock. Her vibrato and placement are some of her strongest points. Her vibrato is wide, controlled with an operatic quality and is executed excellently. Her placement for her belts is becoming stronger over time, there is less strain on her D5's, Eb5's and E5's.

Negatives:
In her early career starting at D5, her belts were shouty and poorly mixed. She rarely uses her head voice live (at least above E5), and lacks projection in that area. After vocal coaching in 2014/2015, her issue mostly lies with mask placement and occasionally dropping support above C5.

https://criticofmusic.com/vocal-profile-lady-gaga

Ariana Grande

Range: D3 - B5 - E7
Vocal Type: Light-Lyric Soprano (4 octaves and a note)
Vocal Rating: B-

Spoiler

Positives:

A vocal actress, being able to mimic the tones and voices of Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera and Celine Dion.

Her lower register, though often weak and inconsistent (due to her high tessitura and breath support issues), is relatively strong for a soprano, supporting down to F#3 and extending to D3.

Her belts are achieved through mixing, having stretched up to Bb5's successfully; Grande also has no issue staying in the soprano tessitura for extended periods of time (see live performances of Break Free, Dangerous Woman and Focus). Her belting register as a whole is extensive and reaches up to an impressive B5. Capable of complex, fast melismas (see Hands on Me and Problem). A rolling vibrato can be heard in belts up to G#5 and as low as Bb3.

Her falsetto is light and sweet and is also where the voice finds its 'ring,' being bright and healthy up to Eb6. 

The whistle register is piercing, and the whistles don't have disconnected tones attached to them (polyphonic tones). She is able to sing vocal runs in this register (See Emotions).

Negatives:

The previously mentioned mixed belts generally lack power and the whistle register is not controlled (something she has admitted herself). Her slightly nasal and feminine tone is also polarizing. Her diction is unpolished, leaving her lyrics incomprehensible at points (see the bridge of Break Free) due to tongue tension. Grande also over activates muscles in her jaw - mostly while singing runs - furthering this tongue tension, which in turn changes the positioning of the larynx. Intonation live has proven to be a problem at points (around 2013), and the lower register sounds unsupported in most instances. Her support is also inconsistent, ranging from around G3-C#5, above C5/C#5 she raises her larynx.

https://criticofmusic.com/vocal-profile-ariana-grande

Love both but Lady Gaga wins here :gaygacat5:

7 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

Ari, definitely. It might not have been so obvious during Gaga's peak but her technique and live stamina has improved amazingly over the last couple of years. She's punching out like 20+ spectacular high notes each night on tour, often going way beyond the high notes on her studio versions. She's probably the most reliable vocal live performer rn.

In the meantime Gaga declined like a mother****er. She can barely hit the studio notes on a regular night, even behind a piano these days. I don't know what the **** she's doing to her voice. Her Vegas performances have been a vocal trainwreck. At this point even Miley can beat her technically. She doesn't seem to give a **** anymore tbh.

The way you spoke nothing but facts. 

Darkgalord

All I know is that they both STOMP on Madonna when it comes to vocals. 

Earth Ripper
7 minutes ago, xfreshkidxx said:

Both are good but I feel Gaga can do more with her voice. :gaygacat1:

Why though? The only thing she can do better than Ari is sing a growly rock song or whatever and she rarely uses that dimension of her voice, so... Ari's shown she can perform pop, R&B, emotional ballads, musical theater, jazz, funk, soul, and light opera, just at the top of my head. Gaga has done more flashy genre explorations but that doesn't make them vocally successful or interesting :coffee2:

BrooklynBoy

I really can’t get into Ariana, simply because of her enunciation (and light tone), and something about Gaga’s tone and agility doesn’t sit well in my spirit. However, her Sound of Music performance blew me away, and Ariana has never blew me away, so... I’m voting Gaga

Edited by BrooklynBoy
Chaos Angel

Gaga is technically better by quite a margin.

You guys have lost it :rip:

Ariana. I was shocked at how much she better sounded compared Lady GaGa at the VMAs.

I think Lady GaGa failed to take proper care of her voice and now it’s slowly but surely starting to show.

Earth Ripper
3 minutes ago, Marry Illusion Glory said:

Let's leave this to professionals instead of pop music stans and look at what they have to say about each.

Lady Gaga

Range: F#2 - G5 - C6 (E7)
Vocal Type: Lyric Mezzo-Soprano, though Contralto is a common but incorrect perception. (3 Octaves and 3 notes)
Vocal Rating: A

Reveal hidden contents

Positives:
A properly trained singer with great technique. Her belts are resonant and supported well, reaching up to G5 in early recordings, and up to F#5 in Do What U Want. She is capable of rapid firing high belts, (see the last chorus of Marry the Night). Her low notes are very dark and full, but can also mimic a talking voice. Her head voice can be thick with an operatic weight, or light and airy. The contrast in colors in her tone is impressive though her voice sits naturally with a darker tone.

Distinctive, unique vocal phrasing, that allows for her to communicate an array of emotions. Even though she is capable of singing a melisma, she does not overuse the technique to show her abilities. Great legato lines and respectable staccato ones as well. Ability to hold pitches for extended periods without wavering. Her voice can transcend through multiple genres, including balladry, dance/pop, country, jazz and rock. Her vibrato and placement are some of her strongest points. Her vibrato is wide, controlled with an operatic quality and is executed excellently. Her placement for her belts is becoming stronger over time, there is less strain on her D5's, Eb5's and E5's.

Negatives:
In her early career starting at D5, her belts were shouty and poorly mixed. She rarely uses her head voice live (at least above E5), and lacks projection in that area. After vocal coaching in 2014/2015, her issue mostly lies with mask placement and occasionally dropping support above C5.

https://criticofmusic.com/vocal-profile-lady-gaga

Ariana Grande

Range: D3 - B5 - E7
Vocal Type: Light-Lyric Soprano (4 octaves and a note)
Vocal Rating: B-

Hide contents

Positives:

A vocal actress, being able to mimic the tones and voices of Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera and Celine Dion.

Her lower register, though often weak and inconsistent (due to her high tessitura and breath support issues), is relatively strong for a soprano, supporting down to F#3 and extending to D3.

Her belts are achieved through mixing, having stretched up to Bb5's successfully; Grande also has no issue staying in the soprano tessitura for extended periods of time (see live performances of Break Free, Dangerous Woman and Focus). Her belting register as a whole is extensive and reaches up to an impressive B5. Capable of complex, fast melismas (see Hands on Me and Problem). A rolling vibrato can be heard in belts up to G#5 and as low as Bb3.

Her falsetto is light and sweet and is also where the voice finds its 'ring,' being bright and healthy up to Eb6. 

The whistle register is piercing, and the whistles don't have disconnected tones attached to them (polyphonic tones). She is able to sing vocal runs in this register (See Emotions).

Negatives:

The previously mentioned mixed belts generally lack power and the whistle register is not controlled (something she has admitted herself). Her slightly nasal and feminine tone is also polarizing. Her diction is unpolished, leaving her lyrics incomprehensible at points (see the bridge of Break Free) due to tongue tension. Grande also over activates muscles in her jaw - mostly while singing runs - furthering this tongue tension, which in turn changes the positioning of the larynx. Intonation live has proven to be a problem at points (around 2013), and the lower register sounds unsupported in most instances. Her support is also inconsistent, ranging from around G3-C#5, above C5/C#5 she raises her larynx.

https://criticofmusic.com/vocal-profile-ariana-grande

Love both but Lady Gaga wins here :gaygacat5:

This is from 2013, sis. Ari's improved a TON since then. And Gaga has basically ruined her voice since then too :toofunny3: See the videos posted above lol.

Ariana has a bigger range, more agility, more sustained/longer belts with multiple riffs and runs, better head voice, and overall a more pleasant tone. 

Just compare them side by side at the 2020 VMAs :rip: Ariana ate her tf up. 

The narrative that gaga ruined her voice is another tragic attemp by the delusional group of OGH who live in their own bubble and do nothing but circle jerk 24/7 on pop forums.

The answer is gaga.