Stevie's Top 50 Songs of 2020! Our time in the spotlight.

Stevie

Barbi :eek: I didn't really listen to her album but she's super cool.

Also WYP, Fiona, XS, Megan, Kelis :clap3:

This is basically a slightly more interesting version of "everything i wanted". Good for you, girl!

While the rest of Bolt Cutters feels quite serious, this fun and chaotic song about a childhood friend helping fend off bullies really warmed the coldest cockles of my heart. :heart2:

An aloof brag about attracting bad boys without needing to lift a finger. It's short, icy, cool, and somehow feels feminist to boot? What more can we want?

8 minutes ago, Ewan Chaos said:

Ben Shapiro likes WAP lol he just has to act like he doesn't. You KNOW he loved getting in front of a mic and reciting "Wet ass p-word" over and over.

Nnn so true.

On "Time": There's a few songs from late 2019 I decided to include. If I got into them this year they're still fair game to me!

7 minutes ago, Madame X said:

the positions album actually secretly has a lot of songs better than the title track hidden in it: love language, my hair, six thirty!  but that was probably the best choice for lead single and was a bop 

That's good to know. I should give the album a full listen. I was just a bit disappointed expecting more after thank u, next.

Ending the night with these four gems:

This has always been one of my faves from the album. This one just has a certain passion to it that is so intoxicating. If WYP? is lust, this is falling in love.

Eat your heart out, Azealia.

This era really was Miley's magnum opus. She's finally found her voice. Here she channels the 80s on a voracious banger featuring Billy Idol about walking out on your lover late at night to go cheat with somebody else? Yup, feels about right to me!

Throughout many years and many herpes scandals, Usher has always remained a highly competent R&B artist. He really knows the art of the jam!

my future + Shameika + Simmer + Need Your Love + Gaslighter + everything i wanted + The Adults Are Talking + exile + Rain On Me + Joan Of Arc On The Dance Floor :party:

Let me catch up a bit :gaycat6:

----

Need Your Love, WAP, Blinding Lights, Shook, positions, Gaslighter, Savage Remix, everything i wanted, Watch Your Step, The Adults Are Talking, exile, Good News, Hallucinate, XS, Heavy Balloon, Joan of Arc on the Dance Floor, What’s Your Pleasure? & Shameika

Made it into the list :jonny5:

So many good songs :clap3:

6 hours ago, Stevie said:

Ending the night with these four gems:

This has always been one of my faves from the album. This one just has a certain passion to it that is so intoxicating. If WYP? is lust, this is falling in love.

Eat your heart out, Azealia.

This era really was Miley's magnum opus. She's finally found her voice. Here she channels the 80s on a voracious banger featuring Billy Idol about walking out on your lover late at night to go cheat with somebody else? Yup, feels about right to me!

Throughout many years and many herpes scandals, Usher has always remained a highly competent R&B artist. He really knows the art of the jam!

whew 1-2-3-4 punch already :clap3: I forgot that Usher released new songs in 2020, but Don't Waste My Time is his best song he's released in a long time. Period.

• ATRL Moderator

So many of my top songs scraping the bottom reaches of your countdown. Now I'm curious what makes the top 20. Probably a bunch of stuff I've never heard, because I'm not nearly as cultured as you!

3 hours ago, supaspaz said:

So many of my top songs scraping the bottom reaches of your countdown. Now I'm curious what makes the top 20. Probably a bunch of stuff I've never heard, because I'm not nearly as cultured as you!

I think you're the more cultured one!

7zSBTxQ.thumb.gif.2cb7e6fef09a0275f8de8c

• ATRL Moderator

bb is a BOP, i think it was on my list last year, though tbh if i made my 2019 list currently it would be like 30 spots higher lmao.

did you listen to alias? 

i didn't kno usher released omg. 

1 hour ago, Madame X said:

bb is a BOP, i think it was on my list last year, though tbh if i made my 2019 list currently it would be like 30 spots higher lmao.

did you listen to alias? 

i didn't kno usher released omg. 

Yes, I've heard most of the tracks and love them!

Even though her album was a bit of a mess, Grimes knows how to serve us an apocalyptic bop. I particularly relate to the hook about not being able to sleep anymore! Apocalyptic, insomniac jams about being bored and mistrustful of the government really are the moment, huh?

While most of y'all opted for the more rock styling of "Little Nokia", I think I prefer this charming number about an age-old topic: ****boys. The last minute is the best part, what a rush!

Gaga gets a lot of hate here. While Chromatica wasn't reinventing the wheel, it was her best album since Born This Way! "Replay" is the best song on the album, an addictive and dark track about PTSD that will make you want to dance, maybe with a few tears in your eyes. Upbeat songs with dark lyrics really are the perfect mix!

Edited by Stevie

• ATRL Moderator

"Replay" is...a choice. One that I would not make.

While the rest of Future Nostalgia relies on big pop hooks and catchy vocal runs, this is the most understated song on the album and in my opinion - the coolest. The production is so subtly detailed yet relaxing, and that damn cowbell! :smitten:

Okay I know it's 2019, but I didn't listen until this year! This is just immaculate. Honestly Haim's best song? Ever!

Now this is how you open an album! It just feels so epic. And the complex lyrics she's able to work in here: "The pain in my vein is hereditary"... like what? Who else is working such well written lyrics like that into a pop hook? Love it.

Summer Girl :heart2:

This song has basically everything I like - guitar solos, gay romance, sultry and ominous production, a Mitski cameo. We love to see it.

Dua and DaBaby decided to give us the dance party we were unable to attend this year. The remix features a slightly ramped-up production and of course DaBaby, who adds a cool energy for Dua to bounce off of which the original was lacking.

The title track to Plastic Hearts serves one of my favorite Miley vocal performances to date. Sounding jaded, frustrated, and almost grating, Miley details a bleak outlook on finding love as an artist on the road. The upbeat and snappy production provides a good contrast to the despair and are those bongos I hear? :heart2:

The closer to Jessie's album sounds like a serene walk home after a long night of being at the club. Despite all the chaos around her, Jessie feels warmed from the comfort provided by her lover. The result is heavenly, hopeful, and peaceful, a perfect way to close out an amazing album.

Let's finish this!

So ****ing cool, amazing closer. Really beautiful metaphorical lyrics with so many little personal touches. So happy Rina is reviving the art of the pop star, but in her own way. You can tell she's really passionate about her craft and I can't wait to see where she goes next!

Addictive, manic almost. I feel like this is the future where the sex dolls come to life and take control. Should I say... freaky?

Thanks for filling my Hole-sized hole. Very 2020, much depression! She describes it so succinctly, we love (future) nostalgia!

Romy's debut solo single is nothing like her quiet and subdued work with the xx. This is so euphoric and joyful!

So ****ing elegant and smooth. I feel a million bucks richer just listening to this.

How many ways can you say BOP? Channel Tres is the perfect yin to Robyn's yang.

Officially one of my favorite Taylor songs ever! The fragile and simple story is so effective, making us reminisce about summers and summer loves gone by. Nostalgia really is such a powerful tool in songwriting. The brilliance of the picture she paints lies in the ephemeral dilemma of wanting to enjoy this perfect moment and live it forever, but knowing summer will soon end...

This sounds like it should be an anthem akin to "The Climb" or "Wrecking Ball". It's rare to find a young artist sounding so mature and self-aware of their own faults in this world of cheap self-empowerment. Nothing quite like a divorce, house fire, and a dead grandmother to really get the creative juices flowing. You go, Miley!

It's hard to find the words to explain my love of this song! It kind of sounds like a live performance of an angsty poem. The way you can hear the "gravity" or weight these "cosmonauts" have accumulated over the years through the heaviness and volume of her increasingly shouting vocals is just perfection. Life continues to weigh us down, and all we can really do is hope to find enough love to make it all worth it. Like a couple of cosmonauts, except with way more gravity than when we started off. :'(

I mean... duh. This feels like a career-defining track, the kind of song you hear only once or twice in a lifetime.

Last year was horrible in many ways but the music sure was great!

Thanks to everyone who commented and everyone who supports my lowly ATRL existence, xoxo!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.