Jump to content

Olivia Rodrigo - "drivers license"


Recommended Posts

duybeeGAshantiGA
2 hours ago, aliciavikanders said:

Yeah, her potential is what's the most exciting. 

 

This isn't a bad song by any means — but I'm interested to see what she does when her songwriting improves and she stops using the avocado indie girl voice (it was only really prevalent in the first verse tho). She can sing, so she doesn't need it.

 

Also, the fact she's working with Dan Nigro on her first EP is kind of ridiculous.

I hate when girls do that avocado indie voice. LIKEWHY>?????

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • QueenofCopyPaste

    294

  • Baby Judas

    186

  • FAN

    176

  • ArmyBlink

    86

badgirlriri

Day 1:

#46 Global

#5 United States

#21 Ireland

#23 Canada

#86 United Kingdom

#191 Australia

 

Counter:

Day 1: 2,029,263

 

Spotify Charts:

Day 1: 1,540,075

 

:clap3:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

the bridge is so addictive :jonny5: they're probably going to add this to TTH at some point right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
DUA LIPA

her vocals in the chorus are way too good for her to do this indie girl accent talky singy voice in the verses 

Link to post
Share on other sites
DUA LIPA
3 hours ago, aliciavikanders said:

Yeah, her potential is what's the most exciting. 

 

This isn't a bad song by any means — but I'm interested to see what she does when her songwriting improves and she stops using the avocado indie girl voice (it was only really prevalent in the first verse tho). She can sing, so she doesn't need it.

 

Also, the fact she's working with Dan Nigro on her first EP is kind of ridiculous.

exactly, i can see that she can serve if she inproves but her first step should be to ditch the cursive singing and get some co writers which can elevate her from highschool creative writing class to something more fleshed out, creative and mature, because her level is more chainsmoker‘s closer than anything lorde did when it comes to the lyrics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
JawBreaker
29 minutes ago, badgirlriri said:

Day 1:

#46 Global

#5 United States

#21 Ireland

#23 Canada

#86 United Kingdom

#191 Australia

 

Counter:

Day 1: 2,029,263

 

Spotify Charts:

Day 1: 1,540,075

I-... not 2M+ shes smashing your honor :deadbanana4:

and thats without major playlisting a lot of ATRL faves could NEVERRRRRR do these numbers organically :rip:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm kinda shocked by the numbers she's pulling. I knew she was pretty popular with younger teens, but I thought her max debut would be like 30-40 in the US. NOT top 10. The Way teas for sure.

 

As for the song, it really sounds like Lorde, Conan Gray, Taylor, Phoebe Bridgers, and a million faceless indie-pop acts were thrown in a blender, and this was the result. :rip: By no means am I saying it's trash. It's a solid debut, but it doesn't really stand out to me. The girl clearly has potential though, and the bridge was beautiful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
nooniebao
5 hours ago, chaneloberlin said:

When this ends up pulling a surprise debut at #10, like another former children’s television actress debut single :oh:

 

Who?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Solgayleo
On 1/8/2021 at 1:17 AM, nooniebao said:

This is great. I hope Daniel Nigro becomes the Jack Antonoff of the 2020’s after the great work he’s been a part of the last couple of years

Ok wait a minute... just looked through his discography on Wikipedia and it’s really impressive! I Give Up is one of my favorite Caroline Polachek songs

 

this song is cute. Didn’t know who this girl was but it debuted really high on Spotify.  looks like the next Disney ex-act is upon us

Link to post
Share on other sites
Lil Mxnster

Everything looks so forced :bibliahh: The aesthetic, the dumb teen lyrics, her voice... :skull: And y'all comparing her with Lorde, I-:rip: 

This is not a hater post. I don't know her. It was just my first impression, tho :hey:

Link to post
Share on other sites
nooniebao
24 minutes ago, Solgayleo said:

Ok wait a minute... just looked through his discography on Wikipedia and it’s really impressive! I Give Up is one of my favorite Caroline Polachek songs

 

this song is cute. Didn’t know who this girl was but it debuted really high on Spotify.  looks like the next Disney ex-act is upon us

Yeah, he feels like a songwriter/producer who’s on his way to becoming a big deal very soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The next generation of singer-songwriters infuenced by Taylord and LORDe are going to be top notch. :jonny:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Beyonnaise
2 hours ago, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

I hate when girls do that avocado indie voice. LIKEWHY>?????

It makes me so sad nnn. I’ve been listening to a lot of the 2000s girls lately (Avril, Xtina, Kelly C) all of whom didn’t pronounce things weird or use that indie affectation and it’s just... so blatant that this voice trend has affected the way all these new girls are singing for the worse. It’s hard to pinpoint exactly when it happened but I think the early 2010s – Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men was one of the first big examples on a hit song.

Edited by Beyonnaise
Link to post
Share on other sites
wehavetostan

I really enjoyed this song! I'm excited to see hear more. Hope it exceeds expectations and debuts in the top 10 :heart2:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BigBangStan said:

Wth  

 

#2 on Apple Music. 1 more song to go!!! :heart:

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...