THERE IS ALREADY A THREAD FOR THE ETERNALS SPOILER. STOP MAKING NEW ONES.

Olivia Rodrigo - "drivers license"

Goofy

2 hours ago, aliciavikanders said:

Yeah, her potential is what's the most exciting. 

This isn't a bad song by any means — but I'm interested to see what she does when her songwriting improves and she stops using the avocado indie girl voice (it was only really prevalent in the first verse tho). She can sing, so she doesn't need it.

Also, the fact she's working with Dan Nigro on her first EP is kind of ridiculous.

I hate when girls do that avocado indie voice. LIKEWHY>?????

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FAN

• QueenofCopyPaste

• Baby Judas

• ArmyBlink

Day 1:

#46 Global

#5 United States

#21 Ireland

#23 Canada

#86 United Kingdom

#191 Australia

Counter:

Day 1: 2,029,263

Spotify Charts:

Day 1: 1,540,075

:clap3:

the bridge is so addictive :jonny5: they're probably going to add this to TTH at some point right?

her vocals in the chorus are way too good for her to do this indie girl accent talky singy voice in the verses 

3 hours ago, aliciavikanders said:

Yeah, her potential is what's the most exciting. 

This isn't a bad song by any means — but I'm interested to see what she does when her songwriting improves and she stops using the avocado indie girl voice (it was only really prevalent in the first verse tho). She can sing, so she doesn't need it.

Also, the fact she's working with Dan Nigro on her first EP is kind of ridiculous.

exactly, i can see that she can serve if she inproves but her first step should be to ditch the cursive singing and get some co writers which can elevate her from highschool creative writing class to something more fleshed out, creative and mature, because her level is more chainsmoker‘s closer than anything lorde did when it comes to the lyrics.

29 minutes ago, badgirlriri said:

Day 1:

#46 Global

#5 United States

#21 Ireland

#23 Canada

#86 United Kingdom

#191 Australia

Counter:

Day 1: 2,029,263

Spotify Charts:

Day 1: 1,540,075

I-... not 2M+ shes smashing your honor :deadbanana4:

and thats without major playlisting a lot of ATRL faves could NEVERRRRRR do these numbers organically :rip:

I'm kinda shocked by the numbers she's pulling. I knew she was pretty popular with younger teens, but I thought her max debut would be like 30-40 in the US. NOT top 10. The Way teas for sure.

As for the song, it really sounds like Lorde, Conan Gray, Taylor, Phoebe Bridgers, and a million faceless indie-pop acts were thrown in a blender, and this was the result. :rip: By no means am I saying it's trash. It's a solid debut, but it doesn't really stand out to me. The girl clearly has potential though, and the bridge was beautiful. 

5 hours ago, chaneloberlin said:

When this ends up pulling a surprise debut at #10, like another former children’s television actress debut single :oh:

Who?

On 1/8/2021 at 1:17 AM, nooniebao said:

This is great. I hope Daniel Nigro becomes the Jack Antonoff of the 2020’s after the great work he’s been a part of the last couple of years

Ok wait a minute... just looked through his discography on Wikipedia and it’s really impressive! I Give Up is one of my favorite Caroline Polachek songs

this song is cute. Didn’t know who this girl was but it debuted really high on Spotify.  looks like the next Disney ex-act is upon us

Everything looks so forced :bibliahh: The aesthetic, the dumb teen lyrics, her voice... :skull: And y'all comparing her with Lorde, I-:rip: 

This is not a hater post. I don't know her. It was just my first impression, tho :hey:

24 minutes ago, Solgayleo said:

Ok wait a minute... just looked through his discography on Wikipedia and it’s really impressive! I Give Up is one of my favorite Caroline Polachek songs

this song is cute. Didn’t know who this girl was but it debuted really high on Spotify.  looks like the next Disney ex-act is upon us

Yeah, he feels like a songwriter/producer who’s on his way to becoming a big deal very soon.

2 hours ago, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

I hate when girls do that avocado indie voice. LIKEWHY>?????

It makes me so sad nnn. I’ve been listening to a lot of the 2000s girls lately (Avril, Xtina, Kelly C) all of whom didn’t pronounce things weird or use that indie affectation and it’s just... so blatant that this voice trend has affected the way all these new girls are singing for the worse. It’s hard to pinpoint exactly when it happened but I think the early 2010s – Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men was one of the first big examples on a hit song.

Edited by Beyonnaise

I really enjoyed this song! I'm excited to see hear more. Hope it exceeds expectations and debuts in the top 10 :heart2: