Olivia Rodrigo - "drivers license"

Goofy

17 minutes ago, Mat.91 said:

She's not HUGE, the song IS.

If she plays her cards right however... who knows. She sounds amazing and looks even better.

The song is only huge because of people's investment in her as a person, this isnt an OTR/DM situation :skull:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FAN

• QueenofCopyPaste

• Baby Judas

• ArmyBlink

1 minute ago, Goofy said:

never doubt my talent scouting gift :celestial4::heart:

I never will again, I stan you from here on out always :WAP:

11 minutes ago, greeneyedsoul said:

34 adds on pop, three hours left to report BUT

she snatched Bieber as the most added. :jonny5: WE LOVE TO SEE IT. :jonny5:

Coming for 100+ :duca: :duca:

• #FreeBritney Activist
Just now, Ampersand13 said:

I never will again, I stan you from here on out always :WAP:

:dies: :heart:

• #FreeBritney Activist
2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Can someone explain this song's success? I really don't understand what the fuss is. It sounds like a Melodrama reject. It's not original, it's not fresh and it's not interesting.

2 hours ago, Baby Judas said:

It's like all the stars aligned for this smash. 

the love triangle thing went viral (you know how much the GP loves those stuff) + the song went viral + the song is perfect for the Tiktok generation + the song is also great that it appeals to people outside her demo + Olivia gong viral for being a newbie doing MPG numbers (she was like trending on Twitter for like the entire weekend) + the Taylor exposure plus other celebrities joining the hype + all the top chart exposures. 

Really, everything went all the right ways for a Mega Viral Smash.  But of course, Atrl will still call it a fraud. :dies: 

7 minutes ago, Goofy said:

So we're not calling this a good song, and just acknowledging that it's luck/circumstance?

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

So we're not calling this a good song, and just acknowledging that it's luck/circumstance?

Taste is subjective. There are so many great songs out there that never even crack Hot 100.

It is up to you to decide whether a song is good or not.

I personally think drivers license is a MASTERPIECE of a record.

You may think differently of it.

1 hour ago, Starkboy said:

#1 Worldwide 

#1 United States

#1 United Kingdom

#1 Canada

#1 Ireland 

#1 Australia 

#1 New Zealand

#1 Austria 

#1 Norway

#1 Singapore

#1 Portugal

#1 Belgium 

#1 Netherlands

#1 Switzerland (+1)

#1 Denmark (+3)

#1 Finland (+7)

#2 Malaysia (+6)

#2 Sweden (+9)

#5 Germany (+12)

#5 Poland (+15)

#6 Philippines (+18)

#11 Spain (+17)

#19 Mexico (+35)

#32 Colombia (+21)

#37 Peru (+27)

#37 Argentina (+35)

#40 Brazil (+45)

#49 Indonesia (+72)

#50 Chile (+21) 

#53 Italy (+50)

#53 France (+53)

#57 Taiwan (+44)

#80 Thailand (+93)

:deadbanana4:

I'm surprise with latino countries. they only listen reggaeton :jonny4:

Just now, Eglńó said:

Taste is subjective. There are so many great songs out there that never even crack Hot 100.

It is up to you to decide whether a song is good or not.

I personally think drivers license is a MASTERPIECE of a record.

You may think differently of it.

I think it sounds like a reject off of something that was released in 2017. In 2021 let's stop throwing words like masterpiece or even words like iconic around like they don't actually mean something. The song isn't garbage, whoever she is this girl sounds talented, but this kind of acclaim seems a little undeserved.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

I think it sounds like a reject off of something that was released in 2017. In 2021 let's stop throwing words like masterpiece or even words like iconic around like they don't actually mean something. The song isn't garbage, whoever she is this girl sounds talented, but this kind of acclaim seems a little undeserved.

It seems critics and industry professionals seem to disagree, I’m afraid. The Rolling Stone called it an early contender to bag SOTY.

Again, taste is subjective. We just explained to you its appeal as to why there is huge interest in the song from the GP in terms of commercial success - however, it’s up to the people to decide whether they can resonate to the song or not.

And well, frankly, judging by the latest Spotify update, it appears the world is stanning.

:celestial5:

52 minutes ago, greeneyedsoul said:

28 adds on Pop, Bieber is at 31. Snatch him. :jonny5:

omg goodness...and its not even add week..WHAT THE HELL

Usually they send the song to radio for adds

its the complete difference this time

Radio is latching to add this song on their playlist

the DEMAND. its basically the #1 song on ALL consumer platforms in the country

Edited by QueenofCopyPaste

25 minutes ago, badgirlriri said:

The song is only huge because of people's investment in her as a person, this isnt an OTR/DM situation :skull:

I highly doubt it, but I guess we'll see soon enough. At the monent her profile is not big enough to carry this huge amount of stream/interest. Not gonna say she as an artist is not playing a role. She is interesting and magnetic (?) I would say. But it seems to me people are clicking with the song. It's beyong her.

It doesn't mean she can't get the best out of this. We will see how she plays her cards from now on.

6 minutes ago, Eglńó said:

It seems critics and industry professionals seem to disagree, I’m afraid. The Rolling Stone called it an early contender to bag SOTY.

Again, taste is subjective. We just explained to you its appeal as to why there is huge interest in the song from the GP in terms of commercial success - however, it’s up to the people to decide whether they can resonate to the song or not.

And well, frankly, judging by the latest Spotify update, it appears the world is stanning.

:celestial5:

It's January 12th

This comment pretty sums it up

I think it's more a testament to how music is discovered/consumed today. She had a launchpad (her Disney base), a great song with a celebrity gossip backstory, a viral TikTok, and has been lauded by multiple A-listers. It's certainly an unprecedented perfect storm of PR/marketing, but it all comes back to the quality of the song which is clearly connecting. The best label in the world couldn't manufacture this type of success even if they tried.

• #FreeBritney Activist

she wrote the most part of this song a few months ago in her bedroom and now just a few days after its release it's the biggest song in the world rn, even though she was barely ''someone'' to the masses.

I'd have a heart attack tbh.

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It's January 12th

4 months in of The Recording Academy tracking period. 

And it doesn’t seem like the song is going to slow down anytime soon. So add 2+2 together and there is a huge chance it may get a nod.

And that was more to show that despite you thinking it’s an outdated and weak song, the critics and publications are all praising it for its greatness.

Okay but if there was some riggery or inflation of her streams, WHY would they just go ahead and make her out stream Drake :priceless: Like wouldn’t they just give her solid streams and keep them steadily growing until it grows on radio. Like, making her streams higher than even DRAKE is just asking for people to be skeptical. No way there is anything fishy going on because they would’ve hid it better 

15 minutes ago, Monster Megamind said:

I've never seen a new artist blow up like this in the first week of release.

It might be a well written song but how the hell did it blow up like this , if it's not THAT catchy like a pop song.

Well here are my two cents as to why the song is smashing out of the gate for some:

1. She had a decent fanbase already that gave her the first push. She built it with her HSM series.

2. There‚Äôs that love triangle thing which includes Sabrina Carpenter ‚ÄĒ a semi-known artist with a big fanbase.

3. People can detect bits and pieces of artists that they love, namely Taylor, Lorde and Ashe in this song. Therefore, it also hits certain fanbases to latch onto the track.

4. The idea of a young Pop girl who knows the game, understands the business and the stan world ‚ÄĒ and she knows how to play to her strengths.

5. The mystery of an unknown singer breaking records left and right ‚ÄĒ of course people will feel tempted to check it out and listen to it.

6. Perfect timing for this song. January is that sad month of stillness and reflection and this song is the soundtrack to those reminiscent feelings.

7. Now major celebrities and A-listers are coming out with support for the track.

Honestly like I said yesterday I don't get why people hate this song with such a passion! I mean, u can dislike it and it's okay but the hate I've seen for this on ATRL is incredibile 

For me, a song is successful (in terms of succeeding as a song, not on the charts I mean) when it hits the goal it is meant to hit, not when it meets my taste specifically. 

I may not relate to it directly cause I'm not a teenager anymore but it makes me feel for her and it perfectly captures that feeling. That's what it's about. The storytelling is honestly so good, the production maybe not be my cup of tea entirely but it is very well done and pop-by-the-manual, her voice is amazing

She has a lot of potential and I'm excited to see her progress. I'm not going to do the mistake that the generation preceding me did with the music of my time (a thing I hate so much) , that is to just hate it cause it's not what I listened to. That's so close minded tbh

She is 17, I mean. I am ecstatic she is smashing even if I didn't knew about her til like 3 days ago because she very clearly has it in her

√ó
√ó