UK: Last Christmas #1 for the first time ever

B-Luke

wham-last-christmas.jpg?width=796&mode=s

Wham’s Last Christmas finally claims Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart 36 years after its release and breaks a new Official Chart record in the process, the Official Charts Company can confirm.

The festive favourite climbs from 3 to 1 after racking up 9.2 million streams over the past week, reaching the summit on the fourth anniversary of George Michael’s death. Last Christmas sets a new record for the longest time taken for a single to reach Number 1, at 36 years, overtaking Tony Christie’s (Is This The Way To) Amarillo, which took 33 years and 4 months to claim the top spot (March, 2005).

Martin Talbot, chief executive, Official Charts Company said: "This is a fantastic record for Last Christmas. Just a few weeks after Mariah Carey’s All I Want For Christmas is You reached Number 1 after a 26 year wait, for the Wham! tune to make its own impact after so long really shows how much the British public love their Christmas classics.”

Previously, Last Christmas was the UK’s best-selling single to never reach Number 1, accumulating 1.9 million pure sales to date across its lifetime. That title is now handed over to Maroon 5’s Moves Like Jagger ft. Christina Aguilera (1.55m pure sales), a Number 2 hit in 2011.

Source: https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/whams-last-christmas-finally-reaches-number-1-and-sets-official-uk-chart-record__32041/

Congrats to this legendary song :jonny:

Edited by B-Luke

OMG YESSSSSSS

I thought it didn't have any chance to be #1 this year  :jonny5:

Both All I Want for Christmas and Last Christmas reaching #1 this season  :date4:

Congrats to this CLASSIC :WAP:

Jess Glynne and Bieber peaking at #3 and #4 :eli:  Amazon frauds couldn't pull an Ellie Goulding this year  :sistrens:

DESERVED :jonny5:

#1 in 2021 after 8 weeks at #2 from 1984 to 2020. :clap3:

And it finally cracked the top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 as well. :clap3:

I’m glad they finally got it after Mariah did a few weeks ago... they’re rewriting history this year! And at least Mariah won’t have the (dis)honour of being the first artist to go from #1 to out of the charts the next week :deadbanana:

Yaaaasss! Both “All I Want for Christmas is You” and “Last Christmas” hit #1 this year! So deserved. :clap3:

Finally :clap3:

8 hours ago, Green said:

Jess Glynne and Bieber peaking at #3 and #4 :eli:  Amazon frauds couldn't pull an Ellie Goulding this year  :sistrens:

Not everyone has Ellena's power. :michael:

OT: Omg congrats, amazing classic, so happy for both Mimi and George got it this year :heart2: 

Deserved! :clap3: :gaycat6:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.