US Spotify #1 at lowest number since 2015

Samson

• ATRL Moderator

pOR41D4.png

the #1 song, "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee, did only 822 685 streams yesterday (26 Dec 2020). this is the weakest #1 since 2015, where #1's were typically in the 700k-900k range (example of one day below):

EhMYEEt.png

@ADELE time to drop

The real question is, how is the entire top 3 still Christmas music on December 26th? I thought by then people would be sick and tired of festive music and let it drop like a rock :toofunny2:

The next week on the Hot 100 is also the weakest ever of the streaming era. :skull: 

It will bounce back after a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, KillingYourCareer said:

The real question is, how is the entire top 3 still Christmas music on December 26th? I thought by then people would be sick and tired of festive music and let it drop like a rock :toofunny2:

Check UK's :gaycat6: https://spotifycharts.com/regional/gb/daily/latest

Well take joy that this is the last holiday week and we can go back to building up actual hits :rip:

Is there a reason why? Streaming numbers seem to have consistently been down the past few months. I thought with people being forced to stay home the numbers would be higher.

5 minutes ago, Hi_im_new said:

Is there a reason why? Streaming numbers seem to have consistently been down the past few months. I thought with people being forced to stay home the numbers would be higher.

People are listening more classics/ albums cuts than hits.

The whole December + the first week of January always have abnormal streams. Christmas songs and year-end countdowns surely affect the streaming habits of people during this period. But these streams are weirdly low still. 

45 minutes ago, KillingYourCareer said:

It takes a few days until the Christmas songs drop off completely. 

11 minutes ago, Hi_im_new said:

6 minutes ago, idkwiam said:

People are listening more classics/ albums cuts than hits.

And BB wrote an article about it, they said that people are picking games or online movies over music this year. But it should go back to normal once people are allowed to go out.

18 minutes ago, Hi_im_new said:

there are less routines. For example the biggest time schedule of streams is 6-9AM, per Spotify. This means as most people are not going to work/school whatever, the big streams they do in their daily commutes for example are foregone.

People are so tired of listening to xmas music that they don't want to listen anything more

J/k. Probably people take up netflix binging over the holiday period so they are not streaming music as much

2 hours ago, eaucitronnée said:

pOR41D4.png

the #1 song, "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee, did only 822 685 streams yesterday (26 Dec 2020). this is the weakest #1 since 2015, where #1's were typically in the 700k-900k range (example of one day below):

EhMYEEt.png

@ADELE time to drop

People were busy returning/exchanging gifts  :cm:

These numbers are shockingly low, no wonder why radio impacts so much on the charts lately.

people are listening to music less since they're at home more often (i.e. no more commuting, parties, etc. to stream music) + post-holidays are already slow for music consumption as is 

2 hours ago, Hi_im_new said:

I think numbers are actually higher when people are listening to spotify while out and about, at work, etc. When more people are wfh, I think they are streaming more stuff they can watch than songs. :rip: IDK if there's actual evidence to support this but that is my out of the air theory.

1 hour ago, Hi_im_new said:

It's slightly more complicated. First at all, Top200 Spotify accounts 10 - 12% entire Spotify streams and this factor depends on ratio between frontline streams and catalogue streams (older than 18 months). Pepole listen more catalogue music lately so the long tail is longer than usual. Second thing - people listen music when they have time. During lockdown number of streams were extremely low because people listen more news and traditional linear media (radio, TV). And finally - Spotify's competitors are getting stronger, especially after Xmas because of promo trials and gift-cards effect.

There's still a lot of space to increase streaming when you compare US with Scandinavian's penetration.

Streaming Is Stalling: Can Music Keep Up in the Attention Economy? |  Billboard

Yikes. 

And this is why Levitating is predicted to go Top 10 next week. 

imo this is not about the pandemic at all. Yesterday was probably the biggest day of all time on spotify and many people streamed xmas songs 24/7. The 26th laves a weird feeling when people arent as inclined to listen to the same xmas songs they listened to for the entire month but also arent in touch with the hits they were streaming before, leaving this weird gap in the charts for a few days. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.