Disney's Encanto (2021) | Out now

Blood Magic

Watch it again and We Don't Talk About Bruno still is that girl :clap3: But Luisa's song kinda hit me in the feels and I see why it's also gaining popularity :clap3: 

Still hate how the main girl's song wasn't epic like Let it go, Into the unkown / show yourself, or how far i'll go. that's truly all it was missing 

And yeah Abuela can choke, acting like all those years of generational trauma can be forgiven just because their house has been rebuilt. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• Katamari

• LuLuDrops

• Life Savers

US Spotify

"We Don't Talk About Bruno" up to #7

"Surface Pressure" up to #16

they just posted the video on youtube, they really want that HOT 100 debut :duca:

Watched this yesterday and I really liked it :heart2: Mirabel’s song fell kinda flat though, it didn’t punch as hard as other “I want” songs which is kind of surprising given How Far I’ll Go is so good from Lin. We Don’t Talk About Bruno is clearly the standout from the soundtrack. 

8 hours ago, Desire said:

Watch it again and We Don't Talk About Bruno still is that girl :clap3: But Luisa's song kinda hit me in the feels and I see why it's also gaining popularity :clap3: 

Still hate how the main girl's song wasn't epic like Let it go

well it's the shortest song in the soundtrack, maybe lin didn't feel it was v. important

imagine your family has superpowers and the one you get is hearing fkin everything :deadbanana4: i'd be so MAD, especially when I'd hear Abuela flicking her dusty vag at night

to be honest, the songs were a bit lackluster for me (this is the mediocrity you get when you work on 90 projects simultaneously, Miranda). animation was drop-dead gorgeous tho, but yeah, the story itself is weirdly short without that much of a conflict and wraps up so abruptly.

We don't talk about Bruno is good, but surface pressure?!

give it to your sister it doesn't hurt

and see if she can handle every family burden

watch as she buckles and bends but never BREAKS 

:sats:

We don't talk about Bruno, no, no, no
We don't talk about Bruno

giphy.gif

We don't talk about Bruno, no, no, no
We don't talk about Bruno

giphy.gif

It was cute, LOVED the visuals, colors and direction particularly for the musical numbers, but the story could've been better (less plain) and the lyrics of the songs are way too fast, cluttered, with so many ideas running behind which left me confused to whatever they were singing about. Even in the Spanish translation you could see they struggled to fit all of the lyrics. :skull:

That being said, Surface Pressure>>>

Also Bruno was cute, but he (and the other cloudy sister/Mirabel's aunt) looked WAY too young compared to Mirabel's mom.

Two Oruguitas felt so irrelevant compared to the rest of the songs though. :skull:

Youtube US (12/27-12/28):
1 = Kodak Black - Super Gremlin
2,889,524 -17,606
2 = Jessica Darrow - Surface Pressure
2,504,145 +589,362
3 = Nardo Wick - Who Want Smoke?? (feat. G Herbo, Lil Durk & 21 Savage)
1,477,598 -12,314
6 +7 Adassa - We Don't Talk About Bruno
1,322,279 +440,053
9 +3 Unknown Artist - The Family Madrigal
1,098,749 +192,519

And Bruno should def get higher with the actual scene out now...

Mirabel should've abandoned their asses and left. I can't believe she forgave that old bitch and her stupid sister that quick... The ending felt rushed af.

The way Tumblr would’ve eaten up Bruno at its peak like they did Oncler :dies:

Anyway, YES Bruno, yes hit tweet!

Watched this with my family and we really enjoyed it. I didn't know what to expect I really liked the characters especially Luisa. Her song was awesome, I liked Mirabel quite a bit though her song was weak. 

And as others have said 'We Don't Talk About Bruno' was a definite highlight for me. 

Good movie and as Hispanic myself I’m always happy to see more Hispanic representation from all over Latin America, but ngl I’m not digging any of the music. Sounds exactly what an American trying to make Latin music would make. I’m aware Lin-Manuel is Puerto Rican by descent but Disney needs to start hiring composers and songwriters from the country the film is based on. Because sometimes the music comes across as inauthentic. The same issue I had with Coco (and I love Coco but nowadays it doesn’t sit right with me). In the end as long as the music is good it shouldn’t matter I suppose, but I hope people understand what I’m trying to say.

I also don’t think Lin-Manuel’s songs are that interesting to begin with, melodically speaking, but maybe that’s just me being stuck to the classic Disney music.

On 12/26/2021 at 9:00 PM, Poxy said:

I liked it, but I agree it left a bit more to desire, especially in the ending 

BUT: I hate this Twitter discourse about Abuela being homophobic, like :rip:

Wait why are they saying she’s homophobic? I kinda got lost in the plot halfway thru so I wasn’t paying that much attention by the end :gaycat6:

19 minutes ago, OneAndOnly said:

Good movie and as Hispanic myself I’m always happy to see more Hispanic representation from all over Latin America, but ngl I’m not digging any of the music. Sounds exactly what an American trying to make Latin music would make. I’m aware Lin-Manuel is Puerto Rican by descent but Disney needs to start hiring composers and songwriters from the country the film is based on. Because sometimes the music comes across as inauthentic. The same issue I had with Coco (and I love Coco but nowadays it doesn’t sit right with me). In the end as long as the music is good it shouldn’t matter I suppose, but I hope people understand what I’m trying to say.

I also don’t think Lin-Manuel’s songs are that interesting to begin with, melodically speaking, but maybe that’s just me being stuck to the classic Disney music.

Yeah it seems too excessive and stereotypical Latino? Idk how to explain it but it just feels disingenuous 

-

Which song was Maribel’s How Far I’ll Go/Let It Go? She really was a nonevent highkey. Luisa stole her thunder 

This movie was just okay? The visuals were gorgeous but the plot was subpar and all the characters were not likable at all they were all rude af except the little kid and Luisa :rip: Mirabel was just there…

Also, Abuela needed to be f!cking slapped and I honestly would not have minded if she had croaked. Literally the source of her entire family’s trauma and a simple make up scene at the end should not be enough to forgive like wth? Same with Isabel and her annoying ass. I can’t believe Mirabel’s mom did not stand up for her when Abuela would go off on her like??? I think this movie would be a lot better if Abuela would have had a more negative resolution :gaycat6:

2 hours ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

Wait why are they saying she’s homophobic? I kinda got lost in the plot halfway thru so I wasn’t paying that much attention by the end :gaycat6:

Yeah it seems too excessive and stereotypical Latino? Idk how to explain it but it just feels disingenuous 

-

Which song was Maribel’s How Far I’ll Go/Let It Go? She really was a nonevent highkey. Luisa stole her thunder 

Waiting on a Miracle.

2 hours ago, Ms. Togekiss said:

-

Abuela is homophobic because it is *obvious* Bruno and Maribel are queer and Abuela wants nothing more than to expand her family and selfishly get more grandchildren with superpowers, thus she ostracizes the 2 LGBT members of the family :giraffe:

(this is what many Twitter users are saying lol)

Edited by Poxy

46 minutes ago, Poxy said:

Abuela is homophobic because it is *obvious* Bruno and Maribel are queer and Abuela wants nothing more than to expand her family and selfishly get more grandchildren with superpowers, thus she ostracizes the 2 LGBT members of the family :giraffe:

Twitter is a cesspool of SJW think pieces but I think they’re right on this one :gaycat6: I don’t see Mirabel as queer but Stephanie Beatriz is so maybe they’re not that off :coffee2:

52 minutes ago, Poxy said:

They also said Isabela is a lesbian because she didn't want to marry the guy. Not Twitter making half the family LGBT :bibliahh:

On 12/29/2021 at 6:08 AM, Liafen said:

imagine your family has superpowers and the one you get is hearing fkin everything :deadbanana4: i'd be so MAD, especially when I'd hear Abuela flicking her dusty vag at night

Ffff :deadbanana4: 

I had low expectation for this, but this one blew me away :jonnycat:

I am glad, I didn't watch this in theatre. I would be crying for good 20 minutes or so. This movie hits way hard for a kid movie. 

16 hours ago, Zaynsus said:

Mirabel should've abandoned their asses and left. I can't believe she forgave that old bitch and her stupid sister that quick... The ending felt rushed af.

How was her sister in any wrong. From her perspective, she has to be perfect all the time, while her sister don't have to do anything. 

3 hours ago, Life Savers said:

They also said Isabela is a lesbian because she didn't want to marry the guy. Not Twitter making half the family LGBT :bibliahh:

To be fair, Isabella is the one that might be queer. I read that the lesbian flag was in the background during her solo song and it kind of fits the plot. 

Anyone else, though :deadbanana2:

Just watched this today with my sisters and honestly I loved it. 

Mirabel needed a better song but I did like her as a character. 

The movie kinda went fast. Maybe I enjoyed it a lot that is why it felt so short 

Luisa's song is a amazing. We Don't Talk About Bruno has to be one of my fav musical moments this year. 

I'm glad I watched it. I had a great time.