Billboard Charts: #1 Humble, #7 Stay, #9 Despacito

UNNAMI

30 minutes ago, dussymob said:

Why is One Dance on here and not Closer?

I forgot this piece of art composed by Beethoven

• Replies
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• simmnfierzig

• Navyofbadgals

• QueenofCopyPaste

• FutureHive

33 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

I'm on record no category should ever give more than a 1/3 of the points, no matter what its lead is in a metric.

So record-breaking sales/streams would mean nothing. :deadbanana3:

That would completely ruin the Hot 100. We'd have songs with mediocre streams/sales/airplay above strong sellers/streamers just because they couldn't get enough radio play.

Just to illustrate how ridiculous it would be: a song with 80K sales, 12M streams, and 80M AI would earn around 240 Hot 100 points, whereas a song with something out-of-this-world like 2M sales, 95M streams, and 60M AI would get around 180 points because anything above 60K sales and 9 million streams would be cut off in order to not be above a 1/3 of the overall points. :skull: It makes absolutely no sense.

Edited by Cz!

Yasss

2 minutes ago, Cz! said:

So record-breaking sales/streams would mean nothing. :deadbanana3:

That would completely ruin the Hot 100. We'd have songs with mediocre streams/sales/airplay above strong sellers/streamers just because they couldn't get enough radio play.

Just to illustrate how ridiculous it would be: a song with 80K sales, 12M streams, and 80M AI would earn around 240 Hot 100 points, whereas a song with something out-of-this-world like 2M sales, 95M streams, and 60M AI streams would get around 180 points because anything above 60K sales and 9 million streams would be cut off in order to not be above a 1/3 of the overall points. :skull: It makes absolutely no sense.

@ChartsFan is slow and dumb so don't waste your time trying to make sense out of his dumbass argument. 

7 minutes ago, igetfilthy said:

You're not even using the right formula! The formula is 150 streams = 1 sale! So if 250 people bought a song, that equals 37,500 people streaming one song one time! 

You're taking an example far too literally. 

1 minute ago, alexanderao said:

Why should sales maintain their influence when they're falling off a cliff? Over the last three years, the proportion of music consumers that buy music has drastically decreased. As such, sales are becoming far less representative of consumption than they were before. It follows, then, that their influence on the Hot 100 should decrease. The opposite phenomenon is happening with streaming, which is becoming more representative of the music-consuming public—such a trend merits an increased influence on the Hot 100. To reiterate, I fail to understand how one can advocate for sales keeping their current influence on the Hot 100 as the demographic base that it represents is becoming increasingly unlikely that of the music-consuming public.

Regardless, sales are actually a flawed measurement of popularity in the first place. Sales are incapable of monitoring listener activity after the initial purchase. Imagine a hypothetical in which I buy a song and you buy the same song. Over a certain time period, I spin the track 500 times, but you only do so 20 times. If you're using sales to measure that song's popularity, our activity is counted as exactly equal, because we each bought the song once. Does that seem accurate?

The upside to streaming is that spins after the initial discovery of a song are logged without a problem and factored into the popularity measurement.

Because sales reflect what people are buying. Kendrick has 62 million streams (???) this past week right? How can Billboard accurately measure that 62 million people actually listened to the song in full? What if some of the streams were from bots? What if a person was away from their computer when the song shuffled on a play list? How does that count as an actual "listen"? With hard sales, it's far more measurable and accurate. If one million people just look at a Tudor style home, but 500k people actually buy a modern style home, wouldn't you agree the modern style home is more popular than the Tudor? 

33 minutes ago, FutureHive said:

its still not as accessible as the last 2 rap albums to win AOTY. lauryn hill and outkast

u need Kendrick level quality and drake level radio friendliness

This is what I hate about the grammys... the hiphop/rap/r&b artists have to invent the blindness' cure to be awarded in the big 4, while some trashs have been recognized only for the sales or radio hits (or fault for the lack of awards like Beck)

:celestial5:

1 hour ago, Achilles. said:

Artists That Simultaneously Topped the Hot 100 and Billboard 200 in the 2010s

Kendrick Lamar - Damn / "Humble"

Ed Sheeran - Divide / "Shape of You"

Drake - Views / "One Dance"

Rihanna - Anti / "Work"

Adele - 25 / "Hello"

The Weeknd - Beauty Behind The Madness / "Can't Feel My Face" & "The Hills"

Taylor Swift - 1989 / "Shake It Off" & "Blank Space"

Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines / "Blurred Lines"

Rihanna - Unapologetic / "Diamonds"

Adele - 21 / "Rolling In The Deep" & "Someone Like You" & "Set Fire To The Rain"

Eminem - Recovery / "Love The Way You Lie"

Kesha - Animal / "Tik Tok"

Rih slaying :jonny2:

it baffles  me how people are still wanting sales to be more important in the formula :cm:

liberalmusiclover

Rooting for Kendrick to win AOTY over Ed Sheeran (so my fave Rihanna will also win). :sistrens:

#BlackExcellence is WINNING.

3 minutes ago, JeanNicacio said:

This is what I hate about the grammys... the hiphop/rap/r&b artists have to invent the blindness' cure to be awarded in the big 4, while some trashs have been recognized only for the sales or radio hits (or fault for the lack of awards like Beck)

:celestial5:

elderly voters still dont regard rap music as a real genre. thats why they have to jump hoops to get where Ed Sheeran is

Edited by FutureHive

Mariah's record is safe again.

2r709cl.jpg

5 minutes ago, Mr. Wonder said:

You're taking an example far too literally. 

Because sales reflect what people are buying. Kendrick has 62 million streams (???) this past week right? How can Billboard accurately measure that 62 million people actually listened to the song in full? What if some of the streams were from bots? What if a person was away from their computer when the song shuffled on a play list? How does that count as an actual "listen"? With hard sales, it's far more measurable and accurate. If one million people just look at a Tudor style home, but 500k people actually buy a modern style home, wouldn't you agree the modern style home is more popular than the Tudor? 

The exact same thing can be said with sales! What if someone never listens to the song they bought, what if a company buys 1,000 copies of a song just to boost its position, etc...

2 minutes ago, igetfilthy said:

The exact same thing can be said with sales! What if someone never listens to the song they bought, what if a company buys 1,000 copies of a song just to boost its position, etc...

Wouldn't having heard the song be the prerequisite for buying the song? 

liberalmusiclover

Where are LOYALTY. and LOVE. ???

liberalmusiclover

Rihanna - Anti / "Work"

Adele - 25 / "Hello"

Adele - 21 / "Rolling In The Deep" & "Someone Like You" & "Set Fire To The Rain"

No mercy shown tbh 

gMoUe1m.gif

11 minutes ago, Mr. Wonder said:

I know that sales reflect what people are buying. But, as I already stated, sales are becoming increasingly less representative of music consumers. Moreover, they're an inaccurate method of popularity measurement in the first place.

You're displaying a fundamental misunderstanding of what streaming figures represent. A song getting 62 million streams does not mean that 62 million different people streamed it. It means that it got 62 million streams—that could be from 6 or 10 or 17 million people. The number of unique listeners is not what should determine popularity—overall consumption is what should do so. Sales measure the former, while streaming tracks the latter.

Furthermore, with your house example, you imply that someone who buys a song will always be more committed to it than someone who streams it. This fallacy allows you to claim sales as more representative of more sincere consumption, which is an unprovable and illogical proposition. I have streamed many songs that I love several hundred times. But I guarantee you that there are plenty of people that have bought those songs and played them less than me. Why is their consumption worthy of more influence than mine? They literally consumed the song less.

1 minute ago, liberalmusiclover said:

We don't know yet.

1 minute ago, Mr. Wonder said:

What? Why? I can buy a Taylor song without listening to it first, no problem :celestial5:

Rihanna - Anti / "Work"

Adele - 25 / "Hello"

ee543e7a8a969582f7a67b44779a1f2c.gif

2 minutes ago, Mr. Wonder said:

Why? I've seen people do it

9 minutes ago, Navyofbadgals said:

it baffles  me how people are still wanting sales to be more important in the formula :cm:

right :zzz: 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Wonder said:

No many people buy I song just for buying it. Buying a song doesn't force you to hear it, while you streaming it forces you to hear it. 

1 minute ago, igetfilthy said:

No many people buy I song just for buying it. Buying a song doesn't force you to hear it, while you streaming it forces you to hear it. 

Not really. You can stream without being in the room or with the volume turned down

2 hours ago, Achilles. said:

Rihanna - Anti / "Work"

Adele - 25 / "Hello"

queen :clap3: