Claw's thread | AOTY posted

SLIME

On 12/9/2020 at 4:23 AM, Claw said:

This was the year's real secret banger that no one talks about, though.

i've seen this video pop up in my youtube home page several times :skull: 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLIME

• madonnas

• TheWayWeWere

• Sunderland 4ever

Spoiler

On 12/3/2020 at 12:05 AM, minho said:

hello bestie

sUp5N1V.gif

hey bestie!

Yeah I see you stanning Bags. It is just that cute song for real. And it captures some feeling for me, too. Do you have other fav. songs by her / did you like the album?

On 12/3/2020 at 4:40 PM, theblackestday said:

hi

Hey, didn't think I'd see you here.

On 12/3/2020 at 5:52 PM, TRF. said:

Solange talent and excellency :clap3:

As much as I love that album I have to say I haven't watched the movie. Sorry @B'Day I'm going to try, soon, though.

On 12/3/2020 at 5:56 PM, Tom Vercetti said:

100 gecs deserves less! Their dj mix from the same year is slightly more entertaining however. Besides that, 2019 had some great moments from this list. And When I Get Home is def solange's best album. 

Gecs are def annoying (I like Brady's production material more), but there's something there for me. That said, the #50 spot is very precarious so I don't know if that album will stay there for that long. I like their remix album more, also.

On 12/4/2020 at 8:56 AM, mokitsu said:

Immunity was lowkey great the girls ignored it though

there were probably 4ish songs in there that I remembered and kept in my rotation a bit. She has talent and I think the 'industry plant' fight is stupid, so hopefully we're done with that going forward.

On 12/4/2020 at 1:57 AM, Ewan Chaos said:

Shake It is a ****ing FLAWLESS SONG. I gotta say that I Got It I prefer MORE because I think Pablo's part in Shake It is a tiiiiiiny bit lazy whereas she kills it in IGI. I don't care though, Shake It is easily top... 2 from that album?

Love both. IGI is def a little cleaner. But I think I have to say Shake It for how balls-to-the-wallz it is. Truly, a song.

On 12/4/2020 at 1:40 PM, Blue Rose said:

chile, I remember having an averse reaction to her album. Not you bringing back my trauma 

Never heard one from her. I'm still not sure what her 'gimmick' is, or if that sounds harsh – how she approaches her music, because I know it's something with technology or AI. BUT, her 2 lead singles from 2019 did in fact do it for me. They made me think/feel a bit.

On 12/6/2020 at 1:11 AM, Pink Matter said:

Gonna check out that Uzi track. I was planning to listen to Eternal Atake but then he dropped the deluxe that made it like an hour and a half long...

Haven't heard the others but I'll give them a spin :matty: 

Yo, Uzi dropped mad songs this year. But I think between Eternal and the deluxe version, there's still high quality control. Lots of nice songs in there. I'm not sure if Sanguine would fit the vibe of the albums, but it's probably my fav track overall.

On 12/6/2020 at 2:45 PM, BlackoutZone said:

I was staying quiet, cause Im the minority that hates Shake It on its own and I would not listen to it just like that... but when I saw her life and Shake It came on we all just lost it whew.

But now you posted 2x SOTDs back to back. Glad you added Live in LA, cause it's literally a rare example of a song going beyond perfection just when you thought it couldn't. I still think FN title track is Dua's best song to date and I don't think she will top it for me in a while, but DSN is just as good.

And Door is literally exactly like you described it, transcendental.

Missing Charli's concert in DC right after I moved is such a regret of mine. ...................... I can only imagine. Btw yes Door opened those doors in our minds. Yup she engineered that.

On 12/6/2020 at 11:13 PM, Ewan Chaos said:

I remember being PISSED when Heartless pushed ahead and got to number 1 before Blinding Lights. I thought he was gonna end up going to that sound instead of the more interesting progression of going into a Blinding Lights sound, but then he surprised even me and merged the both (less Heartless, thank God) for After Hours. AND then Blinding Lights smashed so, if I were to go back to myself late 2019 and say something, it would be "don't worry, Blinding Lights will get the last laugh."

Oh and I'd probably tell myself back then something about COVID.

Ikr it was def a dichotomy in trend-chasing vs. timeless/word-of-mouth appeal, right? But to be fair, Heartless has shone brighter since I heard it in album sequencing.

On 12/9/2020 at 12:53 AM, Sunderland 4ever said:

Not was an outstanding track.

I should have turned down the volume before listening to Forever. Ouch! It's got a nice chorus. I like the video concept too.

I'm just warming to Big Thief's sound after these last couple years. I didn't get around to Adrienne's new album, but her last was good.

Yeah Forever is certainly loud but that's how I like stuff. Let's say that the lyrics may or may not have had me in some tears earlier this morning -- lol.

^ummmmm. Replies!

-

I am going to be a little #quirky in the essence of time. Next big update will be some list of EPs from BOTH 2019/2020 as I found myself sorting through and tagging stuff from both years in about equal numbers. Talk soon guys x

• ATRL Moderator

time to see if we believe in shygirl supremacy

@Claw  I love to hear it! what’s your Spotify @, imma follow u! 

Neat #1. Alex G's album last year is my favorite of his. And it's nice to have validation on Blinding Lights greatness. 

AN AMAZING choice for #1, it was in my own personal top 3 last year as well, truly spectacular song, and a good album from him overall. :clap3:

Also just saw the Solange #1 album - another fantastic choice, I loved the album a TON but it ended up growing with me even more at the beginning of this year. Love that

hey bestie!

Yeah I see you stanning Bags. It is just that cute song for real. And it captures some feeling for me, too. Do you have other fav. songs by her / did you like the album?

I loved Bags an insane amount, very very good - struck me like crazy and i think it shaped what kind of music i gravitated towards in 2020 which is saying something.  The whole album was fairly solid but I think the Bags/Softly/Sofia trio stand a league above the rest.  I had good memories with that album anyway

Finally sorted through some of these, so let's go. Before I jump into 2020 for good, presenting my:

20 favorite EPs of 2019

f5KvthT.jpg

20. GFOTY - If You Think I'm a Bitch, You Should Meet GFOTY

(bubblegum bass)

19. Uffie - Tokyo Love Hotel

(electropop)

18. tricot - リピート (Repeat)

(math rock)

17. Future - Save Me

(emo-trap)

16. The Comet Is Coming - The Afterlife

(nu jazz?)

15. TNGHT - II

(EDM trap, wonky)

14. Guerilla Toss - What Would the Odd Do?

(dance-punk, neo-psychedelia)

13. TWICE - Feel Special

(k-pop)

12. Kero Kero Bonito - Civilisation I

(synthpop)

11. Charlotte Adigéry - Zandoli

(synthpop, art pop)

I never could quite get into Alex G but I shall give it a spin!

Blinding Lights really became a modern classic in the span of a year whew. Will give Ms. Shy a few more spins but I couldn't get into her lil EP :emofish: 

f1AQM67.png

10. Kilo Kish - Redux

(electropop) || "Bite Me"

This was functionally a 2020 release by the time I got around to it. Though all may be in the realm of harsher electronic pop, I didn't feel that any of the songs sounded too much like each other. Definitely kind of a mysterious, hard-to-pin vibe.

9. Jackboys & Travis Scott - Jackboys

(trap) || "Out West"

Didn't like this at all at first, but I came to appreciate it for the high-gloss pop trap that it is. I mean "Out West" is just a banger.

8. Bree Runway - Be Runway

(pop rap) || "X2C"

Yup yup yup - she's past being one to watch at this point. But on her first release, Bree tries on a bunch of hats, from early 2000s Missy worship to forward-looking deconstructed club, and wears em all like a pro.

7. Benny the Butcher - The Plugs I Met

(boom bap) || "Crowns for Kings"

If you don't like the 90s east coast gangsta rap sound, you probably won't like Griselda. If you do, then they're keeping you fed. Plugs is one of the collective's tightest projects, with Benny only stepping back for the occasional guest verse by a legendary rapper.

6. Skee Mask - ISS004.

(breakbeat, IDM, techno) || "Slow Music"

Well yeah, Skee Mask has become one of my favorite producers/DJs over the last few years. With his EPs especially, you never know exactly what you're going to get, but there's still a high level of quality control. But for a few in a row, he was on a breakbeat kick. These tracks serve nice variation throughout their run time; I don't get bored even on the longer ones.

Top 5 EPs (2019)

3Wcs4AI.png

5. Channel Tres - Black Moses

(hip house) || "Black Moses"

One of the new kings of hip house who knows who to project a cool and confident presence (with a sense of humor). So far a winning formula.

4. SUMIN - Oo Da Da

(k-pop, alternative r&b, future bass) || "Bee"

Both #4 and #3 on this list have history in the k-pop industry, but I didn't know of either artist until these 2 EPs which really took me by surprise. Sumin completely earns my respect as a producer with this entire project being self-produced. There's a very tight and liquid-y sound design on display. (the Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer riff in "Bee," I'm not sure what that's about.) Looking forward to more from her. I'm a little mad I discovered this late, because I would have been happy to spam it at the time.

3. Lim Kim - Generasian

(experimental hip hop, deconstructed club) || "Digital Khan"

Yep this was also just unexpected. There are experimental aspects to the tracks here that demand a lot of a listener's attention. Bringing sounds from hip hop, folk, and industrial music all into the same pot, and making it work, is impressive. Love to see artists doing their thing.

2. Koffee - Rapture

(reggae, dancehall) || "Rapture"

Songs like "Toast" and "Rapture" put me in such a good mood and make me wanna dance around all stupid. I can easily loop this joint a couple times until it's as long as a LP.

1. Earl Sweatshirt - Feet of Clay

(abstract hip hop) || "East"

Earl brings his Some Rap Songs approach to a shorter format. His off-the-cuff style makes a perfect fit, and dare I say this material is on par with the album. Mental illness gang.

• ATRL Moderator

awlright

#1 is not something ive heard.  im sure i wiuld like it.

same with #2 omg im a flop.  you know i stan sumin and lim kim, kpop art pop superstars.  glad you enjoy lim kim.  did you like sal ki??

redux was amazing but the 2 lead singles do carry a LITTLE bit.

civ i is a LITTLE UNDERRATED

53 minutes ago, Madame X said:

awlright

#1 is not something ive heard.  im sure i wiuld like it.

same with #2 omg im a flop.  you know i stan sumin and lim kim, kpop art pop superstars.  glad you enjoy lim kim.  did you like sal ki??

redux was amazing but the 2 lead singles do carry a LITTLE bit.

civ i is a LITTLE UNDERRATED

You're no flop lol you listen to a lot. #2 I think you would like. and same with Earl assuming you already like his style. That one has a deluxe ver. that came out this year which I haven't heard.

Sal Ki - yuppers that's a banging track. Why'd I just find out about Sumin's EP from this year, though? Loving her sound design.

Anyway guys my 2020 EP list will arrive later today.  ?

13 hours ago, Claw said:

12. Kero Kero Bonito - Civilisation I

Great choice. The River rocks.

Hi.

BB captured me the most from what I've heard from shygirl, but her music is lacking a punch for me to revisit. Wondering what'll be on the 2020 lists.

Um wow how do I know like... none of these Ndsjkldjsjdsldjs lemme do some exploring once I've finished my Best Of :eyesemoji:

Guys I do have the 2020 short projects lists ready as I said, ... but I wanna dump some albums too. :duca:

I don't think I listened to them EPs but the covers look nice.

Hey guys.

On my phone but I’m going to post my honorable mentions (re: albums list).  Mis amigos who know me on another site, please excuse the bit of repetition. I have about 20 !

Some valiant honorable mentions: 2020

mp81TZ0.png

Pop Smoke - Shoot for the Stars, Aim for the Moon (trap, pop rap, gangsta rap)

highlight: "Dior" (bonus track)

Hard to judge this album by the same standards as most others. By some measure, the label succeeded at showing off Pop’s strengths. Although I don’t think it’s his best material, I think in a way Pop lived on through this record’s huge online success.

Ariana Grande - Positions (contemporary r&b, pop)

highlight: "Safety Net"

It’s not that exciting of a release for me. There are still big highlights like the title track, My Hair, the Ty Dolla collab and more. Probably one of her best albums at the end of the day - although it’s no Sweetener.

Westside Gunn - Pray for Paris (East Coast hip hop)

highlight: "327"

one of many solid Griselda hip hop releases as of late. Tyler, the Creator really DESTROYS his guest feature. Overall this is full of good beats + good performances + proof of a winning formula continuing to work.

Perfume Genius - Set My Heart on Fire Immediately (art pop)

highlight: "Describe"

The two singles “Describe” and “On the Floor” were the 2 big highlights for me. Still feel like his records have been improving.

Osees - Metamorphosed (psychedelic rock)

highlight: "I Got a Lot" (the 23 minute song) [basically go big or home]

A band who dropped multiple great albums this year. This one has some trippy, wavy, longer songs influenced by Krautrock and such.

:mandown:

(more coming in the morning sorry i'm too tired wow)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.