Amazon.com: YUKIKA - SOUL LADY (Vol.1) Album+Folded Poster: Posters & Prints

STREAM

#40.

YUKIKA

Soul Lady

Genre: K-Pop, Dance-Pop, City Pop

Contemporary R&B, Nu-Disco, Synthpop

Label: Estimate || Country: Japan/South Korea

Thanks to the Internet, a jazz and disco-inspired subgenre of Japanese pop that was very popular around 40 years ago in the country, "city pop", resurfaced to the ears of a Western audience, who became obsessed with it. And rightfully so, as it is great, but from what it seems, I don't think it ever left Japanese people's minds fully. YUKIKA, a Japan-born, currently Seoul-based pop singer, definitely understands this. Her debut album, Soul Lady, works within that genre's parameters, but also fits within the world of contemporary K-pop, as she's singing exclusively in Korean and the influences of other Korean pop acts is pretty present throughout the record. It's as purely poppy as city pop has ever gotten, without losing its charm or falling victim to blatant modernization, instead resulting in one of the best pop records of the year.

Highlights: "I Feel Love", "Soul Lady", "Neon", "Yesterday", "pit-a-pet", "Cherries Jubiles", "Shade"

You'll like it if you like: Mariya Takeuchi, Junko, Sunmi, Dua Lipa

a2961622067_16.jpg

BUY

#39.

Oranssi Pazuzu

Mestarin kynsi

Genre: Black Metal, Psychedelic Rock, Avant-Garde Metal

Space Rock, Atmospheric Black Metal, Post-Metal, Post-Industrial

Label: Nuclear Blast || Country: Finland

Finnish black metal group Oranssi Pazuzu were always experimentalists, from their 2009 debut Muukalainen puhuu to their most recent masterpiece Värähtelija. But their most recent album, Mestarin kynsi, Finnish for "Master's fingernail", is definitely the most musically experimental stuff they've done. This record adds even more sounds, synth-based melodies and (actual) noise to their already great and forward-thinking mixture of black metal and psychedelic music. Exploring almost cyberpunk themes that feel very in tune with our current state of things in the world, Oranssi Pazuzu's latest effort proves to be one of the most interesting metal records released this year, and one of the best in their discography without any doubts.

Highlights: "Ilmestys", "Uusi teknokratia", "Oikeamielisten sali", "Kuulen ääniä maan alta"

You'll like it if you like: Altar of Plagues, Waste of Space Orchestra

a1764027466_16.jpg

BUY

#38.

MIKE

Weight of the World

Genre: Experimental Hip Hop, Abstract Hip Hop

Glitch Hop, Cloud Rap, Conscious Hip Hop, Vaporwave

Label: self-released || Country: USA

New York rapper MIKE, as well as the sLUms collective he is associated with, have been very influential despite the fact that they might not be as known as many of their contemporaries, having influenced the work of his collaborator Earl Sweatshirt and many other rappers and producers. Weight of the World, his most recent album is proof of that, a near-immaculate work that touches on grief, family relationships and black identity. The title of the record feels very apt, as you can feel the world collapsing around you with each line. With a production that uses loads of interesting samples in a fashion almost similar to vaporwave, the rapper and producer came through with one of the most emotional and unique rap releases of this past year.

Highlights: "Love Supremacy", "Coat of Many Colors", "222", "Delicate", "No, No", "Plans", "Trail of Tears", "Weight of the Word*", "Iz U Stupid", "Allstar" (feat. Earl Sweatshirt)

You'll like it if you like: Earl Sweatshirt, Standing on the Corner, Mavi

a3253788729_16.jpg

BUY

#37.

ML Buch

Skinned

Genre: Art Pop, Progressive Electronic

Ambient Pop, Sound Collage, Glitch, Dream Pop

Label: Anyines || Country: Denmark

Music about love in the digital age isn't exactly a new trope. In the past few years, people like Hannah Diamond, Rina Sawayama and more have gotten a good amount of love for their coverage of that topic. That said, nothing feels as descriptive of the experience as Danish musician ML Buch's debut album Skinned does. The pop songs on this record mention "touching screens", the blurring divide between "IRL" and "URL", stalking social media and more, feels like a genuine reflection on everything that surrounds us. And although around the rest of the record is instrumental, the experimental, glitch-y bits seem to tie together the concept of the record in a rather unique way. In a year where online connections became the only ones for many people, Skinned was the apt hymn for us all.

Highlights: "Can You Hear My Heart Leave, "I'm a Girl You Can Hold IRL", "O", "Can't Get Over You With You", "Sap"

You'll like it if you like: Julia Holter, Oneohtrix Point Never, Astrid Sonne, Smerz

Chloe x Halle's Ungodly Hour Album Review | POPSUGAR Entertainment

STREAM

#36.

Chloe x Halle

Ungodly Hour

Genre: Contemporary R&B

Trap, Dance-Pop, Alternative R&B, Neo-Soul

Label: Parkwood || Country: USA

Sister duo Chloe x Halle have gotten a lot of acclaim, not only for being Beyoncé's protegés, but also because of their excellent usage of vocal harmonies and the immaculate production their music tends to have. Although their debut album The Kids Are Alright was quite good, Ungodly Hour sounds like Chloe x Halle at their best, sounding more mature than ever not only in terms of lyrics but also sound and vocal-wise. Aside from their signature wonderful harmonies, there are lots of potential hit singles and some of their best production ever, courtesy mostly of Chloe herself. More than anything, it sounds like R&B that pays homage and respects to the classics, yet still feels brand new and inventive in the modern landscape, which is a huge feat.

Highlights: "Forgive Me", "Do It", "Tipsy", "Ungodly Hour", "Busy Boy", "Don't Make It Harder on Me", "ROYL"

You'll like it if you like: Beyoncé, Kelela, Brandy, Kelly Rowland

María José Llergo - Sanación | Críticas Discos | El Quinto Beatle

STREAM

#35.

María José Llergo

Sanación

Genre: Flamenco nuevo

Ambient Pop, Copla, Flamenco Pop, Art Pop, Avant-Folk

Label: Sony || Country: Spain

In the past few years in Spain, there has been a strong presence of music that takes traditional folk practices and combines it with electronic, experimental and pop music to new and exciting results. María José Llergo's debut album, Sanación, is flamenco that reaches both ends of the spectrum, from the more traditional and folkloric to the more experimental and unexpected, courtesy of collaborator and experimental electronic musician Lost Twin. María José's vocals are incredibly beautiful, and the accompanying lyrics concerning topics related to the struggles of Spanish Romani and working class Andalusian people are very touching and important as well. A welcome addition to this new wave of inventive Spanish folk music.

Highlights: "¿De qué me sirve llorar?", "Soy como el oro", "El péndulo", "Me miras pero no me vés"

You'll like it if you like: Rosalía, Enrique Morente, El Niño de Elche, Camarón de la Isla

a1503838412_16.jpg

BUY

#34.

Kelly Lee Owens

Inner Song

Genre: Tech House, Art Pop

Minimal Techno, Ambient Pop, Ambient Techno, IDM

Label: Smalltown Supersound || Country: UK

Welsh electronic musician, singer and songwriter Kelly Lee Owens released her debut, self-titled album in 2017. It immediately bcecame, for me personally, one of the most brilliant debuts of the decade, the way she combined incredibly danceable techno and house beats with pop hooks and the layer-heavy etherealness of ambient music and shoegaze was something I never heard before, and I loved it. Her second album Inner Song is not that far from it in terms of sound and aesthetic, but shows an artistic evolution that occured in the past 2-3 years that is quite notable, from the instrumental cover of Radiohead's "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" to the almost industrial tones of "Melt!", she nails everything and expands her sound palette in an enchanting way.

Highlights: "Arpeggi", "On", "Melt!", "Jeanette", "L.I.N.E.", "Night", "Wake Up"

You'll like it if you like: Daniel Avery, Jon Hopkins, Fever Ray, Björk

La saga continúa con "Savage Mode II" – Loud Cave

STREAM

#33.

21 Savage & Metro Boomin

Savage Mode II

Genre: Trap, Gangsta Rap

Memphis Rap, Cloud Rap, Horrorcore

Label: Epic || Country: USA

It was in 2016 when the duo formed by rapper 21 Savage and producer Metro Boomin published Savage Mode on SoundCloud, and was the one that helped to put both artists to an almost mainstream status. After that, a lot has happened in the lives and careers of both Savage and Metro Boomin, and 4 years after part 1, on the first day of October, they released Savage Mode II. With an album cover made by iconic duo Pen & Pixel and narration courtesy of none other than Morgan Freeman, Savage Mode 2 feels like a natural evolution of their work, with some of the best bars Savage's ever delivered and some of the best production he's ever been on.

Highlights: "Runnin", "Glock on My Lap", "Rich ***** ****" (feat. Young Thug), "Many Men", "Snitches & Rats" (feat. Young Nudy), "My Dawg", "Stepping on ******", "Said n Done"

You'll like it if you like: UGK, Three 6 Mafia, Geto Boyz, Denzel Curry

a1062361932_16.jpg

BUY

#32.

Pink Siifu

NEGRO

Genre: Sound Collage, Industrial

Power Electronics, Spoken Word, Political Hip Hop, Industrial Hip Hop, Hardcore Punk, Avant-Garde Jazz

Pink Siifu's breakout album Ensley was a soul and jazz inspired piece of contemporary rap, that sounded relaxing and beautiful yet uniquely weird. And while I'm not fully sure what was I expecting from an album by him in 2020, this was something else entirely. NEGRO is some ****ing great stuff, though. It definitely feels in tune with the current climate regarding the Black Lives Matter movement, protests, police violence, channeling angst and despair into a musical piece that sounds like nothing else out there, with its combination of hardcore punk, harsh noise, poetry, industrial, jazz, rap, psychedelia and who knows what else. Absolutely essential.

Highlights: "SMD", "we need mo color. ABUNDANCE", "run pig run.", "DEADMEAT", "Chris Dorner.", "homicide/genocide/ill die" (feat. Ted Kamal), "dirt" (feat. Na-Kel), "Black Be tha God, NEGRO."

You'll like it if you like: Melt-Banana, Moor Mother, Slauson Malone

a1000503110_16.jpg

BUY

#31.

Nídia

Não fales nela que a mentes

Genre: Batida, Tarraxinha, Afro-House

UK Bass, Footwork

Label: Príncipe || Country: Portugal

Portuguese producer Nídia put out her debut album, Nídia e má, Nídia e fudida, in 2017. It was one of the most hyperactive, chaotic and fun electronic music releases meant for the club. After producing for Fever Ray's sophomore album and remixing people like Kelela, Yaeji or Sudan Archives, her second full-length album Não fales nela que a mentes (roughly translated from Portuguese as "don't tell her that you lie") feels like a more relaxed version of her sound, on the slower end of dance music. It works mainly within the kuduro subgenre of tarraxinha, but you can hear influences from all over the world, like Chicago footwork, zouk or southern rap. Nídia is someone who can nail the energetic and the ethereal with it, and her second release of this year surely proves her versatility.

Highlights: "Intro", "RAP Complet", "Raps", "Tarraxo do Guetto" (feat. Gamboa), "Capacidades", "Emotions"

You'll like it if you like: Jlin, DJ Lycox, Lorenzo Senni, DJ Firmeza

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TRF.

• Sunderland 4ever

• SLIME

• madonnas

Ungodly Hour is insanely great :jonny: I kinda hate that they associate with being Beyonce proteges tho :rip:

Yukika and Kelly Lee Owens :clap3:

JXXJE3A.png

TOP 100 SINGLES

80. Oklou - "fall"

79. Simmy - "Emakhaya"

78. Kate NV - "Sayonara"

77. Sufjan Stevens - "Sugar"

76. CupcakKe - "Discounts"

75. Arca - "Time"

74. Jónsi feat. Robyn - "Salt Licorice"

73. La Zowi & Albany - "Sugar Mami"

72. Pabllo Vittar - "Rajadão"

71. U.S. Girls - "4 American Dollars"

70. Ojerime - "Give It Up 2 Me"

69. Golin - "Play Odds"

68. Empress Of - "Give Me Another Chance"

67. Yelle - "Karaté"

66. Pa Salieu - "Betty"

65. Hayley Williams - "Why We Ever"

64. Zebra Katz - "ISH"

63. Bad Gyal - "Aprendiendo el sexo"

62. Ascendant Vierge - "Influenceur"

61. Charli XCX - "Claws"

60. Isabella Lovestory - "Golosa"

59. Victoria Monét, Khalid & SG Lewis - "Experience"

58. Princesa Alba - "Ya no quieres quererme"

57. Marie Davidson & L’Œil Nu - "Renegade Breakdown"

56. Tkay Maidza - "Shook"

55. Ela Minus - "El cielo no es de nadie"

54. Kylie Minogue - "Magic"

53. 070 Shake - "Guilty Conscience"

52. Jessie Ware - "What's Your Pleasure?"

51. Rico Nasty - "iPhone"

Game Characters Animation Sticker by Rico Nasty for iOS & Android | GIPHY

nobody commented, well... I will post 30-21 albums shortly xx idc

Magic + Why We Ever :clap3:

On 12/26/2020 at 3:13 AM, TRF. said:

80. Oklou - "fall"

71. U.S. Girls - "4 American Dollars"

67. Yelle - "Karaté"

65. Hayley Williams - "Why We Ever"

59. Victoria Monét, Khalid & SG Lewis - "Experience"

55. Ela Minus - "El cielo no es de nadie"

54. Kylie Minogue - "Magic"

52. Jessie Ware - "What's Your Pleasure?"

Nice set. My favorites are Experience and WYP. :clap3:

JXXJE3A.png

TOP 50 ALBUMS

a2654203491_16.jpg

BUY

#30.

Rubio

Mango negro

Genre: Art Pop, Electropop

Synthpop, Trip Hop, Glitch Pop, Latin Electronic

Label: Warner Chappell || Country: Chile

Chilean singer, songwriter and producer Francisca Straube started her project Rubio in 2016, after contributing to indie rock bands Fármacos and Miss Garrison. With her first album Pez she put together a fusion of contemporary pop music, trip hop and folk music, which resulted in one of the most interesting debuts of 2018. But her second project, Mango negro, is somehow more ambitious. Released in parts throughout the year as EPs and singles, it pulls from a wider array of genres, from reggaeton and cumbia to R&B, techno, house, IDM and even experimental glitch stuff, and everything is combined in a perfect way to expand her sound pallette while maximizing its pop appeal, and finally result in a very cohesive, excellent final product.

Highlights: "Pájaro azul", "Nudo" (feat. Frannie Holder), "Compañera", "Volver", "IR", "Niño iceberg", "Tormenta del SXXI", "La especie", "Solo quiero que me salves tú", "El fruto"

You'll like it if you like: The Knife, iamamiwhoami, Javiera Mena

Track by Track: Rina Sawayama, "SAWAYAMA"

BUY

#29.

Rina Sawayama

SAWAYAMA

Genre: Contemporary R&B, Dance-Pop

Electropop, Alternative Rock, Pop Rock, Alternative R&B

Label: Dirty Hit || Country: Japan/UK

Since the release of her 2017 EP Rina, I knew Japanese-British singer Rina Sawayama was destined for greatness, and to a certain extent her full-length debut album SAWAYAMA is the fullfillment of her promise to begin with. If you're expecting a sonically cohesive album look elsewhere, this can jump from 90's nu-metal revivalism to a house-influenced bop with ease, but as far as the revival of Y2K aesthetics within pop music, it doesn't get much better than this. With lyrics ranging from themes that affect all of us such as capitalism, global warming, or personal subjects such as cultural heritage and trauma, it matches catchy pop music with deep personal messages with ease.

Highlights: "Dynasty", "XS", "STFU!", "Comme des garcons (Like the Boys)", "Akasaka Sad", "Love Me 4 Me", "Who's Gonna Save Me Now?", "Snakeskin"

You'll like it if you like: Britney Spears, Charli XCX, BABYMETAL

Muthaland | Bbymutha | BIGMUTHA

BUY

#28.

Bbymutha

Muthaland

Genre: Trap, Hardcore Hip Hop

Experimental Hip Hop, Pop Rap, Cloud Rap, Memphis Rap

Chattanooga, Tennessee rapper Bbymutha has been rapping from a very early age, but she started her rise to prominence in 2017, when her song "Rules" became viral. But only this August did she put out her debut album, Muthaland. Despite its intimidating length, there is basically no filler, every track on the record is enjoyable in its own way, with her rapping going from humorous to deeply personal to downright terrifying from track to track, everything joined together by her fantastic flow and talent. She said on Twitter this might be the last music she'll ever put out, and while I get it, I sincerely hope that's not the case, because if this record is proof of anything, is that Bbymutha has a lot to give.

Highlights: "Roaches Don't Die", "Spooky Mutha Mansion", "Heavy Metal", "Nice Guy" (feat. Yung Baby Tate), "Baby Mama" (feat. Zeloopers), "Cocaine Catwalk", "11:11", "Scam Likely", "Not for Caucasians"

You'll like it if you like: Trina, Gangsta Boo, Lil Ugly Mane, Junglepussy

a2741010406_16.jpg

BUY

#27.

Ichiko Aoba

Adan no kaze (Windswept Adan)

Genre: Chamber Folk

Ambient, New Age, Nature Recordings

Label: hermine || Country: Japan

Japanese singer/songwriter Ichiko Aoba has been releasing music for almost a decade, most of her music largely consisting, rather minimalistically, of an acoustic guitar accompanying her gorgeous vocals and not much else. With her most recent effort, アダンの風 (Adan no kaze) or Windswept Adan, she extends her sound pallette into including more meditative ambient and drone soundscapes reminiscent of early Grouper, alongside a more atmospheric and almost psychedelic production and the company of more collaborats. This more polished, ethereal sound is a perfect match for Ichiko, whose music has probably never sounded more gorgeous. With lyrics that seem to match the dream-like state of this record, it's probably one of her most obvious masterpieces to date.

Highlights: "Prologue", "Pilgrimage", "Porcelain", "Easter Lily", "Chi No Haze", "Dawn in the Adan", "Ohayashi"

You'll like it if you like: The Microphones, Seiko Oomori, Grouper

a0125806975_16.jpg

BUY

#26.

KMRU

Peel

Genre: Ambient, Drone

Field Recordings

Label: Mego || Country: Kenya

Producer Joseph Kamaru, grandson of the iconic Kenyan musician who went by the same name, has released several albums and EPs throughout the past year as KMRU. Some of the most notable ones are Saal, recorded for an annual celebration of drone music, or the more experimental Jar, a record he put out for Sail Records. But probably the most notable and perhaps my personal favorite is the one he made for the prestigious Editions Mego. Peel consists of six tracks, which stretch from 5 to 22 minutes, and create a rather immersive, meditative experience that sounds great enough to zone off to, but still has a lot of details and sounds that can catch your attention, as the best of ambient music does.

Highlights: "Why Are You Here", "Well", "Klang", "Peel"

You'll like it if you like: William Basinski, Stars of the Lid, early Oneohtrix Point Never, Kareem Lotfy

a0918330481_16.jpg

BUY

#25.

O.L.I.V.I.A

99%

Genre: Art Pop, Glitch Pop

Alternative R&B, Deconstructed Club, UK Bass, Grime

Label: AGVA || Country: Argentina

I already mentioned in the ML Buch write-up how online relationships have influenced music in the past few years. Argentinian singer/songwriter/producer O.L.I.V.I.A. understands that as well, but with her debut album 99% she takes it up a few notches. This is not only about the other person that is on the side of the screen, but also the relationship with the device in and of itself. Staying up way too late because you've been staring at a screen for way too long, trying to reflect on your habits etc. While not all of the record is about technology, the experimental, post-club informed production definitely feels like a manifestation of the inherent chaos of our day and age, while still maintaining a pop heart deep within.

Highlights: "Cómo se apaga", 7AM", "Aún", "1=2", "OK", "Detrás", "Nada tan fuerte"

You'll like it if you like: SOPHIE, Holly Herndon, Eartheater, FKA twigs

a1686354437_16.jpg

BUY

#24.

KeiyaA

Forever, Ya Girl

Genre: Neo-Soul, Alternative R&B

Psychedelic Soul, Ambient Pop, Wonky, Hypnagogic Pop, Art Pop

Label: self-released || Country: USA

KeiyaA is a singer songwriter and producer from Chicago, now based in New York, who has been collaborating with other artists as both featured singer and record producer. But she shines the most when she's on her own, and proof of it is her debut album Forever, Ya Girl. Immaculately sung and produced R&B, with a very glitchy and collage-based aesthetic and way too many catchy hooks. It's been a while since I heard something that sounds as accessible yet as weird as this album sounds. Hope we get to hear more of KeiyaA because as a debut project especially within soul and R&B music, Forever, Ya Girl is some of the most impressive we've had this year so far.

Highlights: "Rectifiya", "Hvnli", "Do Yourself a Favor", "a Mile, a Way", "Every ***** is a Star", "I! Gits! Weary!", "Forreal???", "FWU", "Keep It Real"

You'll like it if you like: Kelela, SZA, Erykah Badu, Shabazz Palaces

Crítica de 'What's Your Pleasure?' de Jessie Ware – Blog MiSTeR MuSiC

#23.

Jessie Ware

What's Your Pleasure?

Genre: Dance-Pop, Disco, House

Contemporary R&B, Nu-Disco, Funky House, Synthpop, Smooth Soul

Label: PMR || Country: UK

After a fantastic debut and two safer albums that were closer to adult contemporary territory than anything else, Jessie Ware delivers what is probably her best one to date, not necessarily by going back to basics but by making the smoothest, most fun pop possible with disco, house, soul and R&B sounds. Assisted by people like Morgan Geist, Simian Mobile Disco's James Ford, Metronomy's Joseph Mount, Kindness and many more, What's Your Pleasure sounds like a collection of tunes meant for the dancefloor. While it gave us the necessary escapism we so much needed this year, I wish we could have been able to experience this record in a club more than anything. That said, it will come eventually, and in the meantime, listening to this record at any place and any time is good enough.

Highlights: "Spotlight", "What's Your Pleasure", "Ooh La La", "Save a Kiss", "Adore You", "The Kill", "Remember Where You Are"
You'll like it if you like: Donna Summer, Kylie Minogue, Moloko, Chic

a3307067049_16.jpg

BUY

#22.

Jessy Lanza

All the Time

Genre: Synthpop, Alternative R&B, UK Bass

Freestyle, Glitch Pop, Footwork, Art Pop

Label: Hyperdub || Country: Canada

Canadian multi-talented artist Jessy Lanza enjoyed a sort of breakthrough in 2016 with her second album Oh No. It was a very catchy and well produced electronic pop record with enough edge, weirdness and experimentation to keep your ears interested the whole way through. All the Time, her first full length in over 4 years, is sort of an extension of all she did before, maintaining the style of R&B vocals combined with upbeat synthpop and bass music she was initially known for, but turning up the experimental stuff a few notches, with more vocal manipulation, and odder song structures. There is not a shortage of bops and great songs though, in that aspect, she'll never miss.

Highlights: "Anyone Around", "Lick in Heaven", "Face", "Alexander", "Ice Creamy", "Like Fire", "Over and Over"

You'll like it if you like: Junior Boys, Blood Orange, Jessie Ware, DJ Rashad, Laurel Halo

a2994745420_16.jpg

BUY

#21.

The Microphones

Microphones in 2020

Genre: Indie Folk, Avant-Folk

Psychedelic Folk, Drone, Slowcore, Progressive Folk

Label: P.W. Elverum & Sun || Country: USA

In the late 90s and early 00s, Phil Elverum and his project The Microphones released some of the best indie album of that era, most notably The Glow Pt. 2. In 2003, he retired that project, focusing instead on his new group Mount Eerie, which also released a good amount of records. Sadly, his wife and collaborator Genevieve Castreé passed away in 2016 due to a cancer. This tragedy would be reflected in 2017's A Crow Looked at Me, which dealt with all the grief that came out of her illness and eventual death. Years later, Elverum decided to revive the Microphones project, with the aptly titled album Microphones in 2020. It's a one-track, 44-minute long record that deals not just with grief and loneliness, but works as a brilliant self-reflection of someone who's went through both beautiful and horrible life experiences. It's a wonderful record.

Highlights: It's one long song.

You'll like it if you like: Mount Eerie, Low, Joanna Newsom, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

We love Jessie Ware :katie2: that sound was definitely a great choice for her. I did like Tough Love but Glassheart felt a little uninspired.

Magic and WYP (song) :jamming:

I think 4 American Dollars was okay, I didn't really come back to it though

Jessie Ware and Jessy Lanza are the highlights of the set. :johnald:

Sawayama, What's Your Pleasure? :clap3:

JXXJE3A.png 

TOP 100 SINGLES

#50.

Caroline Polachek

"The Gate (Extended Mix)"

Genre: Ambient Pop, Ambient, Electronic

from 'Standing at the Gate: Remix Collection'

You know, in a year that felt absurdly hard in almost every realm, this was a really nice healing moment. The version on Pang was already gorgeous, this truly elevated it though.

#49.

Alice Glass

"Nightmares"

Genre: Synth Punk, Electro-Industrial

I feel like this track is all my goth ass could ever want from an Alice Glass solo project.

#48.

Michete

"Back of the Truck"

Genre: Pop Rap, Electroclash

Very repetitive and stupid? Maybe but the beat switch and the transition into it is definitely one of the most genius moments in music this year.

#47.

Ivorian Doll

"Rumours"

Genre: UK Drill

Makes me feel super badass. Also the *bleeps* are just ****ing hilarious she has the mind of a mastermind I believe.

#46.

Scintii

"Times New Roman"

Genre: Art Pop, Trip Hop

I feel like with all the 90's revival stuff that's happened, it's time someone brought back Ray of Light and edgy trip hop.

#45.

Jockstrap

"Acid"

Genre: Art Pop, Glitch Pop

from 'Wicked City'

There is something so arresting about this song. Maybe the memories I associate it with or the lyrics or how crazy the production is.

#44.

Luedji Luna

"Bom mesmo é estar debaixo d'água"

Genre: MPB

from 'Bom mesmo é estar debaixo d'agua'

Sounds so peaceful and summery, the lyrics really paint a beautiful picture too.

#43.

Pop Smoke

"Dior"

Genre: NY Drill

from 'Meet the Woo'

Technically not 2020 but. What a great song lol, really deserved the way it was huge. 

#42.

YUKIKA

"Yesterday"

Genre: K-Pop, Dance-Pop, Contemporary R&B

from 'Soul Lady'

Most of the record is more city pop-ish but this track in particular feels very early-to-mid 90's Mariah and I live for that.

#41.

Mac Miller

"Good News"

Genre: Neo-Soul

from 'Circles'

This is not really a song I listen to a lot for a few reasons but my god is it beautiful (and really ****ing sad).

#40.

Alewya

"Sweating"

Genre: Afroswing, Dancehall

Very few songs released this year make me miss sweaty clubs and shows as this song and music video do.

#39.

Maureen

"Tic"

Genre: Shatta Dancehall

I randomly got into Martinican dancehall this year and like... this is so good?? All of it is but this song in particular, the production is so insane.

#38.

Perfume Genius

"Describe"

Genre: Shoegaze, Neo-Psychedelia, Art Rock

from 'Set My Heart on Fire Immediately'

A fantastic shoegaze song with an absolutely gorgeous outro. If only the rest of the album sounded like this!

#37.

Chams

"Avoue"

Genre: Industrial Hip Hop, French Hip Hop

from 'L'âme agit'

I'm not super fluent on French to be honest, but I understand enough to get this is very cathartic, if only because of the production.

#36.

ROSALÍA & Travis Scott

"TKN"

Genre: Neoperreo, Pop Rap

Honestly the idea of a(nother) Rosalía and Travis collab scared me but this works so well and is such a great bop? They complement each other well. Where is the album though, mi amor?

#35.

Lous and the Yakuza

"Amigo"

Genre: Dancehall, Dance-Pop

from 'Gore'

Probably the most poppy song on her whole album but it's so well produced, catchy and the lyrics, if you can understand, are so good.

#34.

645AR

"Sum Bout U" (feat. FKA twigs)

Genre: Alternative R&B, Pop Rap, Trap

I feel like you'd be forgiven for thinking 645AR's bit is... well, just a bit. But it's dead serious, and this collab with twigs proves it so well, they fit so well with each other honestly??

#33.

Planet 1999

"Party"

Genre: Synthpop, Bedroom Pop

from 'Devotion'

This really feels like if PC Music made a Cocteau Twins song. Also probably the last good song that was released before everything went to **** for me personally so, was gonna love this regardless.

#32.

The Weeknd

"Blinding Lights"

Genre: Synthpop

I mean... come on lol. There's a reason why this was like the biggest song of the past 10 years or something.

#31.

Black Country, New Road

"Science Fair"

Genre: Experimental Rock, Post-Punk, Art Rock

from 'For the first time'

Unlike "Sunglasses" which was somewhat more "melodic", this feels like someone talking over straight up noise at times. And I love that for them!

#30.

Rauw Alejandro

"Algo mágico"

Genre: Synthpop, Electropop

from 'Afrodisiaco'

Alejandro is known for his combination of reggeaton and R&B but this is almost a 180° switch from that, kind of like a Majid Jordan or an After Hours song in Spanish. And it works so well for him??

#29.

Megan Thee Stallion

"Don't Stop" (feat. Young Thug)

Genre: Trap

from 'Good News'

The beat on this is so insane?? I definitely need Megan rapping over more experimental stuff like that. Both Megan and Thug kill these verses. 

#28.

Kelly Lee Owens

"On"

Genre: Tech House, Art Pop

from 'Inner Song'

The way this song is built from beginning to end is so beautiful. It's both a beautiful ethereal pop song and a straight up house banger.

#27.

Jessy Lanza

"Face"

Genre: Glitch Pop, UK Bass

from 'All the Time'

Probably the most experimental Jessy Lanza song? One of? It sounds weird and kinda ugly even but still keeps everything that makes her music so so great. The production is out of this world, truly.

#26.

Romy

"Lifetime"

Genre: Synthpop, Dance-Pop

Honestly I wasn't expecting a debut single from Romy of The xx fame to be as joyous and wholesome as it is, much less an enormous bop but nonetheless! I feel like in such a tough year, it truly brings a smile to your face.

JXXJE3A.png

TOP 50 ALBUMS

a3260782780_16.jpg

DOWNLOAD

#20.

Backxwash

God Has Nothing to Do with This, Leave Him Out of It

Genre: Horrorcore, Industrial Hip Hop

Industrial Rock, Trap Metal

Label: Grimalkin || Country: Zambia/Canada

This year was a huge breakthrough for Zambian-Canadian rapper and producer Backxwash, who won the prestigious Polaris Prize award. God Has Nothing to Do with This, Leave Him Out of It was one of the best rap albums released this year, an album that feels very unique both in sound and in theme. Musically it takes a lot of references from more mainstream trap sounds but also from industrial music and especially metal, from samples to soaring guitars. But lyrically it feels like a homage to 90's horrorcore, addressing transness, family issues and both personal and universal troubles. Not much out there has sounded like this.

Highlights: "God Has Nothing to Do with This, Leave Him Out of It", "Spells" (feat. Devi McCallion), "Black Sheep", "Adolescence", "Amen", "Redemption"

You'll like it if you like: HO99O9, clipping., JPEGMAFIA, Gravediggaz

a3690679937_16.jpg

BUY

#19.

Cindy Lee

What's Tonight to Eternity

Genre: Hypnagogic Pop

Dream Pop, Noise Pop, Brill Building, Noise

Label: W.25th || Country: Canada

Cindy Lee, a project led by the ex-Woman member Pat Flegel, has been active since pretty much the previous project ended, with their brilliant take on deconstructed girl-group music. This year, they delivered What's Tonight to Eternity an album that shows all their strength and emotion. Lush, gorgeous and weird stuff that manages to be devastating while balancing ugliness and beauty simultaneously, with lyrics that feel devastating yet darkly empowering, and a production that, no matter how lo-fi and noisy it can be, still manages to get across a lot of the raw emotion found in these. One of their most compelling projects to date.

Highlights: "I Want You to Suffer", "The Limit", "One Second to Toe the Line", "Lucifer Stand", "Just for Loving You I Pay the Price", "Heavy Metal"

You'll like it if you like: Ariel Pink, early U.S. Girls, John Maus, Katie Dey

Track by Track: The Weeknd, "After Hours"

BUY

#18.

The Weeknd

After Hours

Genre: Synthpop, Alternative R&B

Future Garage, Ambient Pop, Synthwave, Trap

Label: XO || Country: Canada

I feel quite surprised of the fact that this turned out to be very good. In my opinion, a lot of The Weeknd's music after Trilogy has been consistently hit-or-miss, but on his latest album, After Hours, there are nothing but hits. Somehow getting Max Martin, Metro Boomin, Tame Impala and Oneohtrix Point Never all in the same record, both the electronic music and 80's pop influences give his signature dark, shadow-y sound a lot of strength and personality. Abel was one of the biggest stars of 2020, and not just because of the omnipresence of "Blinding Lights", but because of how consistenly great his output was throughout the year. No doubt, this is easily his best work since the mixtapes.

Highlights: "Alone Again", "Too Late", "Snowchild", "Escape from LA", "Faith", "Blinding Lights", "In Your Eyes", "Save Your Tears", "After Hours", "Until I Bleed Out"

You'll like it if you like: Chromatics, Michael Jackson, James Blake

a3289675772_16.jpg

BUY

#17.

Duma

Duma

Genre: Industrial, Cybergrind

Power Electronics, Industrial Hardcore, Speedcore, Digital Hardcore

Label: Nyege Nyege Tapes || Country: Kenya

Experimental music duo Duma were formed by Martin Khanja and Sam Karugu, both figures in the Nairobi, Kenya underground music scene, in 2019 during the Nyege Nyege Festival in Uganda. Shortly after they released their debut self-titled record, and it sounds like... a lot. The basis of this album is hardcore punk, industrial metal, harsh noise, grindcore and many other extreme music genres, but they're all approached in such a unique way, taking in a more electronic sound that feels rather in tune with the Nyege Nyege Tapes releases, yet completely different from anything you might have ever heard. "Duma" means "darkness" in the band's native Kikuyu, and it shows, it's not the easiest album to listen to even if you're a metal or an electronic music fan, but every second of it is worth it.

Highlights: "Angels and Abysses", "Corners in Nihil", "Omni", "Lionsblood", "Kill Yourself Before They Kill You"

You'll like it if you like: Machine Girl, Throbbing Gristle, The Body, Agoraphobic Nosebleed

a2386861821_16.jpg

BUY

#16.

Lyra Pramuk

Fountain

Genre: Ambient, A cappella, Experimental

Choral, Drone, Post-Minimalism, Glitch, Electroacoustic

Label: Bedroom Community || Country: USA

As a vocalist, American, berlin-based musician Lyra Pramuk has worked with Holly Herndon on her excellent latest album Proto, but she's also a fantastic artist on her own, and her debut full length Fountain is proof of it. This album is almost entirely based around her voice, the layering of vocals, pitching up and down according to the song. An album informed by club music, folk traditions as well as classical music pieces and Lyra's own queer/trans identity, this record ranges from Medúlla-era Björk-like "poppy" moments in "Tendril" to sweeping, majestic, almost terrifying ambient in the opening "Witness" or the album's centerpiece "Cradle". It's experimental music at its most beautiful.

Highlights: "Witness", "Tendril", "Xeno", "Cradle", "New Moon"

You'll like it if you like: Björk, Iannis Xenakis, Meredith Monk, Holly Herndon, Julianna Barwick

Reseña: Arca /// KiCk i - Me hace ruido

STREAM

#15.

Arca

KiCk i

Genre: Deconstructed Club

Art Pop, Glitch Pop, Latin Electronic, Neoperreo, Experimental Hip Hop

Label: XL || Country: Venezuela

The time between the which Alejandra Ghersi released KiCk i and her self-titled album as Arca in 2017 is the longest time she's been without releasing a full length album. And there's probably a few reasons why, but most importantly, because a record as good as this can take some time to properly prepare. The first in what is allegedly a four-part album, this one sounds like a merge of all her previous albums/projects, the chaotic glitch-hop of Stretch 1 and 2, the industrial club beats of Mutant and the avant-pop of s/t, all with an added dose of perreo, with lyrics that show her vulnerable and emotional, but also defiant as a latina trans woman. Also the features from Shygirl, Rosalía, SOPHIE and Björk definitely turn this up a notch, and it feels so good to see her fully realised as an artist in a project like this.

Highlights: "Time", "Mequetrefe", "Riquiquí", "Afterwards" (feat. Björk), "Watch" (feat. Shygirl)", "KLK" (feat. Rosalía), "Rip the Slit", "Machote"

You'll like it if you like: Aphex Twin, Tomasa Del Real, SOPHIE, Björk

Future Nostalgia : Amazon.es: Música

BUY

#14.

Dua Lipa

Future Nostalgia

Genre: Dance-Pop, Nu-Disco

Electropop, Synthpop, Funktronica

Label: Atlantic || Country: UK

Since listening to "Be the One" I always saw a promising artist in Albanian-British singer Dua Lipa, and even if her self-titled debut album from 2017 felt a bit short from that, I still believed there was a lot to look forward to. And Future Nostalgia, her second album, is a great evolution from the first in so many ways, taking influences from disco, funk, house and synthpop across the decades of the 70's, 80's, 90's and even the 00's to result in a near-perfect pop album. Loads of hooks so good they're almost undeniable. Exactly what I always wanted from her, and definitely what I want to hear from mainstream pop music.

Highlights: "Don't Start Now", "Cool", "Physical", "Levitating", "Pretty Please", "Hallucinate", "Break My Heart"

You'll like it if you like: Kylie Minogue, Róisín Murphy, Carly Rae Jepsen, Madonna, Diana Ross

a0334989270_16.jpg

BUY

#13.

Eartheater

Phoenix: Flames Are Dew Upon My Skin

Genre: Avant-Folk, Chamber Folk

Psychedelic Folk, Glitch, Electroacoustic, Folktronica, Art Pop, Post-Industrial

Label: PAN || Country: USA

Alex Drewchin's music as Eartheater always felt a bit intimidating to me. Her previous albums like RIP Chrysalis and Irisiri had a lot to like to them, but was also too... out there. I feel like I truly started to appreciate her with last year's Trinity, a mixtape that didn't sound an awful lot like her previous work, but had a stronger influence from pop music as well as different forms of trap, house, bass music and more. Phoenix: Flames Are Dew Upon My Skin is not like that at all, it's more in the vein of the experimental folk of her previous releases, but still maintains a pop heart that makes it quite accessible and beautiful, even when a track sounds as weird as hell. I was late to her, but I'm here now. And that album cover is incredibly iconic.

Highlights: "Metallic Taste of Patience", "Below the Clavicle", "How to Fight", "Kiss of the Phoenix", "Volcano", "Fantasy Collision", "Bringing Me Back", "Diamond in the Bedrock", "Faith Consuming Hope"

You'll like it if you like: LEYA, Joanna Newsom, Current 93, Mazzy Star, Aaron Dilloway

a0809846453_16.jpg

Bad Bunny - EL ÚLTIMO TOUR DEL MUNDO Lyrics and Tracklist | Genius

STREAM // STREAM

#12.

Bad Bunny

YHLQMDLG / El último tour del mundo

Genre: Reggaeton / Pop Rap, Trap

Neoperreo, Latin Rap / Alternative R&B, Emo Rap, Alternative Rock

Label: Rimas || Country: Puerto Rico

2020 was, without a doubt, the year of Bad Bunny. Not because he wasn't successful before, especially if you're from Latin America, but because his global success reached heights never seen before for a Latin American artist, and moreso he did that with nothing but great music. He released two albums this year (three but who's counting?), both were enormous successes, both were excellent.

YHLQMDLG is almost exclusively reggaeton, with some of the best production in the mainstream version of the genre in a long while and homages to his home country of Puerto Rico, and if COVID-19 didn't happen immediately after all of its tracks would have been surefire hits all over the world. 

On the other hand, El último tour del mundo is less for the dancefloor and more self-reflective, romantic and emotional, jumping around from genre to genre, all while still maintaining the quality he's been known for in the past few years. If there's someone who gave us joy this year in which everything sucked, it surely had to be him.

Highlights: "La difícil", "Yo perreo sola" (feat. Nesi), "Bichiyal" (feat. Yaviah), "Soliá", "Vete", "Safaera" (feat. Ñengo Flow & Jowell y Randy), "25/8", "P FKN R" (feat. Kendo Kaponi & Arcángel), "Hablamos mañana" (feat. Duki & Pablo Chill-E), "<3" //

"El mundo es mío", "Maltida pobreza", "Te deseo lo mejor", "Yo visto así", "Haciendo que me amas", "Booker T", "Dákiti" (feat. Jhay Cortez), "Trellas", "Sorry papi" (feat. ABRA), "120"

You'll like it if you like: Daddy Yankee, Jowell y Randy, Ivy Queen, Tomasa Del Real // Lil Peep, Duki, C. Tangana

a3771205071_16.jpg

BUY

#11.

Ana Roxanne

Because of a Flower

Genre: Ambient

Drone, New Age, Ambient Pop, Field Recordings, Spoken Word

Label: Kranky || Country: USA

Released last year, Ana Roxanne's debut EP ~~~, felt warm, comfortable, one of the best ambient records of 2019. Because of a Flower feels like an extension of the world the Filipino-American composer and singer presented with her first release, perhaps with a slightly more notable presence of her strong pop influences, but still as beautiful as you can always expect from Ana. Dealing with themes of beauty, gender and intersex identity as well as inspirations from tonal harmony textbooks and taking samples from film dialogues or field recordings, it's a very inventive take on ambient music from someone with a fantastic ear for both melody and texture.

Highlights: "A Study in Vastness", "Suite pour l'invisible", "---", "Venus", "Take the Thorn, Leave the Rose"

You'll like it if you like: Grouper, Julianna Barwick, Enya, Cocteau Twins, Hiroshi Yoshimura

Agree that Dua's Future Nostalgia is what mainstream pop music needed and she definitely achieved what many other pop girls in the past haven't. :clap3:

sorry i haven't commented. there is a lot to digest here. loving this list's energy :duca: some favorites here, some stuff I've just gotten to (Jockstap, Lyra), and some more I haven't gotten to yet

19 hours ago, pinknblue said:

YHLQMDLG and After Hours :clap3:

I wanted to like Duma but it didn't quite hit like other NNT releases.

Oh yeah I get that. It can be a bit... abrasive? Or not as immediate.

11 hours ago, D/X said:

Agree that Dua's Future Nostalgia is what mainstream pop music needed and she definitely achieved what many other pop girls in the past haven't. :clap3:

Punto... as simple as that!

3 hours ago, Claw said:

sorry i haven't commented. there is a lot to digest here. loving this list's energy :duca: some favorites here, some stuff I've just gotten to (Jockstap, Lyra), and some more I haven't gotten to yet

Don't worry! Thanks for commenting :heart:

Update coming in a few hours!

Ungodly Hour :worship: Definitely wasn't expecting them to snap so hard. Definitely an improvement over their debut, and yes, there are a ton of potential singles! Which is why I need them to stop messing around and just pick the next one already... What's Your Pleasure? + SAWAYAMA are both amazing :smitten: Glad the gays hyped them up because they would've gone over my head otherwise. After Hours and Future Nostalgia :sats: They BOTH should've been AOTY nominees instead of just one! Solid highlight picks from all of these, although Paradisin' and Soul Control are absent for some reason :mandown:

Singles~ claws :jamming: Give Me Another Chance, Experience, WYP? :katie2: Why We Ever and Blinding Lights :alexz:

5 hours ago, Remmy said:

Ungodly Hour :worship: Definitely wasn't expecting them to snap so hard. Definitely an improvement over their debut, and yes, there are a ton of potential singles! Which is why I need them to stop messing around and just pick the next one already... What's Your Pleasure? + SAWAYAMA are both amazing :smitten: Glad the gays hyped them up because they would've gone over my head otherwise. After Hours and Future Nostalgia :sats: They BOTH should've been AOTY nominees instead of just one! Solid highlight picks from all of these, although Paradisin' and Soul Control are absent for some reason :mandown:

Singles~ claws :jamming: Give Me Another Chance, Experience, WYP? :katie2: Why We Ever and Blinding Lights :alexz:

Agree on almost everything!!! And yeah I like both Paradisin and Soul Control but there are better songs... *in my opinion* :mandown:

Let me bump this to the next page real quick x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.